Quirks, Exploits, Loopholes, IMBAs: Any I Have Missed?

What is GPro?

Great Prophet I assume. And if you have the Messiah belief they are even more useful. It's a very underrated belief imo. Sure you can take religious texts but why suffer the frustration of dealing with AIs that try to convert your cities?
Give them a taste of their own medicine!

Oh & one this is one essential trick.
When you research Industrialization take loans from your friends to buy 3 factories. If you're first to an Ideology you get 2 free policies! That is the equivalent of building the Oracle twice & lets you get the very powerful 2nd tier policy next.
The boost to production is also very attractive & well worth the expense as the more turns you free up in your cities the better the snowball effect.

The key to winning Civ 5 is to optimize your Civs output every turn so you generate the most production & science as possible.
The sooner you get those essential production buildings up the faster everything else comes eg, science buildings, archaeologists, World Fair, Military, Wondets etc...

Folks,

Again, thank you so much for adding to this thread. My sister and I simply want to understand what "inefficiencies" there are in this game, especially as we are nearing the Deity level of game play.

Sincerely,

Marc (and Kim):p

Also, be aware that #2 in OP is a bit dubious, and certainly not an exploit. It is generally a bad idea to open Honor just for the culture, even with raging barbs turned on you won't be terribly far into the game before the extra culture you need from being one policy "behind" after opening Honor will be more than what you've earned from Honor. Of course, you may want to open Honor for the other benefits it gives you (or in order to go deeper into the tree), but don't think it's a great culture boost, much less an exploit.

I don't know about you, but on Deity, rush-buying factories would not make a difference. I've got 2 civs picking ideologies before I even research industrialization. Maybe the Turn-200 SV guys have a few pointers, but I'm a turn 300 domination kind of guy. I would say, if you think it's that close, by all means beg borrow and steal to rush-buy 3 factories.

I think people might be using Oxford and Rationalism finisher to bulb Industrialization. I prefer to use them to bulb Satellites.

Also, be aware that #2 in OP is a bit dubious, and certainly not an exploit. It is generally a bad idea to open Honor just for the culture, even with raging barbs turned on you won't be terribly far into the game before the extra culture you need from being one policy "behind" after opening Honor will be more than what you've earned from Honor. Of course, you may want to open Honor for the other benefits it gives you (or in order to go deeper into the tree), but don't think it's a great culture boost, much less an exploit.

That's why I don't go this path. I don't think it's worth it.

Marc

there was another exploit i havent heard about since GnW with how Piety calculates the 'build Shrines/Temples in half the time' mechanic. It was something like build-sell-build-sell-etc to increase gpt and gain overflow hammers. it had some requirements and it was enormously tedious but it seemed to let some cities produce and gain extra gpt that was better than simple setting them to Wealth.

i have no idea if it was patched and I never really saw it talked about again so this is just me digging thru the memory banks for stuff not mentioned yet.

there was another exploit i havent heard about since GnW with how Piety calculates the 'build Shrines/Temples in half the time' mechanic. It was something like build-sell-build-sell-etc to increase gpt and gain overflow hammers. it had some requirements and it was enormously tedious but it seemed to let some cities produce and gain extra gpt that was better than simple setting them to Wealth.

i have no idea if it was patched and I never really saw it talked about again so this is just me digging thru the memory banks for stuff not mentioned yet.
Yeah, I remember that thread also ... I also remember thinking that if one bothered doing that, why did one ever bother playing? But yeah, that was certainly an exploit.

I am a bit dismayed at a post that seems to ask: Have I missed any Cheats and Exploits?

Well, not exactly. Don't lump all that's in the thread as cheats and exploits, although that is a part of it.

When playing MP with others, you want to understand what other players may know that you don't, in the realm of OP game behavior, or what I'll coin "amped paths of play".

And, some "paths" are perfectly fair to play, it's just that I, or, you, may not have thought of particular combinations that yield more efficient results.

Regards,

Marc

Beaker overflow exploit
Beaker overflow gets multiplied when spent in a tech someone else that you have met knows. This is compounded by having more civs knowing the tech and having Science Funding passed. Overflow can be gotten from natural overflow, RA, and GS bulbs and the exploit is best started on the sailing line. There is one gotchya and that it is possible to have too much overflow that your beakers turn negative.

Hammer overflow exploit
You can try the same with settlers when you have unlocked Collective rule but it seems to be patched as overflow doesn't accumulate over turns. You do get 1 turns worth, however.

You mean Scholars in Residence ("Civilizations research a technology 20% more quickly if it has been discovered by at least one other Civilization"), not Sciences Funding.

You mean Scholars in Residence ("Civilizations research a technology 20% more quickly if it has been discovered by at least one other Civilization"), not Sciences Funding.

I have no idea what you two are talking about. :confused:

Please explain how the beaker and hammer overflow comes about. I don't know what Scholars in Residence, BTW. Is that one of the social tree "buttons" that I overlooked?

Thanks,

Marc

Thank you, Browd.

Browd/Phillip: Please explain how the "Production Overflow" is accomplished.

Regards,

Marc
The exploit doesn't work any more. but you do get 1 turns worth of overflow which I'm sure is by design. Basically when you finish building something the hammers overflow into the next item. It is compounded if the previous/next item had/has many modifiers, I'm not to sure if it is previous/next. The exploit worked on the principle that hammer overflow was multiplied by modifiers which carried over resulting you being able to complete a wonder in one turn. I think the patch merely stopped the overflow accumulating over successive turns.

AI is willing to sell strategic resources it needs
In my recent game I bought all of Wu's coal during a World's Fair race, delaying her ideology and ensuring I won the World's Fair. I'm sure you will be able to buy all of Casimir's horses when he reaches Metallurgy.

AI is willing to renew aluminum deals
Early on Aluminum is only needed for hydro plants, and the AI is more than happy to buy at least 5 even if it has less than 5 cities. 30 turns later when it doesn't need aluminum it will renew. Interestingly though horses/iron/coal don't fall into this category.

Militarily strong AI can be bribed to DOW entire world even though they are hostile
Surely it must know that if you DOW that AI all deals are off except the DOW they have just been made. Noted it won't work all the time, and not for all civs but I find more often than not it works to some degree.

The exploit doesn't work any more. but you do get 1 turns worth of overflow which I'm sure is by design. Basically when you finish building something the hammers overflow into the next item. It is compounded if the previous/next item had/has many modifiers, I'm not to sure if it is previous/next. The exploit worked on the principle that hammer overflow was multiplied by modifiers which carried over resulting you being able to complete a wonder in one turn. I think the patch merely stopped the overflow accumulating over successive turns.

AI is willing to sell strategic resources it needs
In my recent game I bought all of Wu's coal during a World's Fair race, delaying her ideology and ensuring I won the World's Fair. I'm sure you will be able to buy all of Casimir's horses when he reaches Metallurgy.

AI is willing to renew aluminum deals
Early on Aluminum is only needed for hydro plants, and the AI is more than happy to buy at least 5 even if it has less than 5 cities. 30 turns later when it doesn't need aluminum it will renew. Interestingly though horses/iron/coal don't fall into this category.

Militarily strong AI can be bribed to DOW entire world even though they are hostile
Surely it must know that if you DOW that AI all deals are off except the DOW they have just been made. Noted it won't work all the time, and not for all civs but I find more often than not it works to some degree.

Thank you, Phillip for taking the time to explain to me, and others.:D

Regards,

Marc

One exploit is buy all goal from every AI if you havent found ideology yet. This way you can choose ideology you want first. However I usually dont have need for this exploit when playing peacefully cos I use oxford for Radio to get ideology. Sometimes start is crappy and you have to use this trick.

Top Bottom