1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitters Missing & Messing up the Game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Multiplayer' started by triang1e, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triang1e

triang1e Chieftain

So I am playing on Mac and in almost every game I try to host, even if it's with experienced people and even if people agree to not quit, a majority will be gone by either turn 50, or definitely by turn 100. Today, someone was playing Indonesia and took my capital. I had a spy in his capital and I told Russia that his capital was vulnerable and undefended. 10 turns later they declared war on him. I requested a peace treaty and he said no, "2v1 gg, I quit."

Why are people quitting in this game? Even those who take it serious and have logged many hours into it will still feel they can abandon any game at any point and feel like they are doing nothing wrong when they are in fact undermining the purpose of the game and the depth of the game. These people never are playing turn 100-200 and are missing half the gameplay experience. A lot of people feel that if they are not #1 that they cannot enjoy themselves in game and will just quit. Others just do not have the time for the game in the first place. Joining a Civ VI game, you should have the time to play till the end, otherwise you are not really playing the game as it's meant to be played. It's ludicrous so I would like to know what you all think about this..

2. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

would you play a loosing hand in poker,id know i throw it it in.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. triang1e

triang1e Chieftain

No, I am talking mostly about those who are doing decent in the game. It's not about being #1. If you lose your capital or are about to be taken over and you quit, that's not as bad as if you are a leading civ and quit simply because you're not #1 in the game. Civ is nothing like poker I would not use that comparison.

4. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

If you don't want quitters you have to come to an organized community, pub games are just going to be like that because there is no consequences to do so. Feel free to come check out Civplayers. https://discord.gg/ubwTNdd But if you play on a MAC you will need to use Bootcamp to run the PC game

CS

5. x2Madda

x2Madda Chieftain

This is nothing new in Civ games and I do not blame the developers since it is mostly out of their control. A few times it has been requested to display player stats for how many MP games they finished vs quits/disconnects and allow us the option to simply not allow certain ratios to join our matches (a simple toggle/slider the player can control) but outside of exclusion methods the road to MP in civ games is a complete nightmare!

And don't be fooled by the "no quitters" group or similar sounding groups because they run on "he said, she said" and you can find yourself banned in short order if you win too many games which is the other MP issue.

Being too good at the game just alienates the remainder of the community that might actually want to play online, because when you start snowballing in civ games it is extremely hard to stop or be stopped outside of everyone else ganging up on you.

I really enjoy civ MP but after countless hours in civ4 and civ5, not long after dipping my toe in civ6 I knew that it was the same ****, different day.

That said, I do recommended no quitters 2v2 lobbies if you can find them. They have the lowest rate of quitters I have experienced and the nature of 2v2 means you win or lose together which gives a lot more incentive to try and help your partner if you find yourself getting squashed and games are usually over by turn 150.

6. psyde

psyde Chieftain

just think of it as the victory condition lol. if you're the last one in the game, you've won.

7. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

If you want to help other players play teams or announce that it's ok before the start of the game. When people promise not to quit they expect a fair shot at winning and what you did took that away.

8. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

I remember this community from civ 4 having maphacks.peer pressure people to play there hacked games.im surprised there still around.i wouldn't trust that Canadian solder as far as I could throw him.

9. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

I have no idea what you are talking about, we have never tolerated cheating of any kind, in fact we created a mod in the Civ4 days to solve the "fog of war" cheat that became an issue. I suspect you just have a beef with us because you are an anti authority type but each to his own. I am perfectly fine with players coming to our discord and judging us for themselves. I have a very helpful staff of 20, who we help any new players get up to speed quickly.

And if Civplayers was so bad...I doubt we would be so successful for the past 16 years....players vote with their feet and they are voting to play at Civplayers since 2002!

CS

10. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

I don't have a "beef" with you.green berets fog of war hack was rampant for years.(and you knew it)i think im entitled to warn others of YOUR past failings.you created this doubt, now you have to deal with it.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: You two seem to have some personal history that you are rehashing in a public thread. Please take it offline to a private conversation. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.