Quotable Quotes

HawkeyeGS

Prince
Which in-game quotes do you like/hate the most?
What non-game quotes do you like/hate?

Judging by the various quotes used in the forums I am guessing it may have crossed soem peoples mind.

My 3 favourites are

Maths: My science teacher was getting annoyed that no one could do the work. I (being pretty good at science and maths) said its because no one knew the maths part. She refused to teach any maths at all and most people failed. Dam if only I knew the quote back then.

Liberalism: I am a very big critic of the US at the moment but I have always admired the ideas of the founding farthers (Franklin ect.). For their time they made a good go at making a free country with civil liberties. As for present day US maybe they should have that quote repeated to them a few dozen times.

Communism: I am not a communist but I am often considered to be one by my friends and family whenever I question the government or anything like the quote implies. I am glad to see that people who try and insult people who use the SP civic get a a good talking to by Civ fanatic users.

My 2 Hates are:

Beep beep beep: I am sure they could have put some effort in really.

Combustion: Talking about cars (for the 3rd tech in a row nearly) just isn't epic enough for such an important advancement in human history.

"Any person who is willing to give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin, Liberalism quote.

Mrdie said:
"Any person who is willing to give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin, Liberalism quote.

While I think the actual quote is:

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I wholeheartedly agree, this is by far the best quote in the game due to its relevance in present Western politics and society.

Although I do like the Haida Indian quote too

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children"

Yeah thats a good one.
I also like the hunting quote: "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both"

Worst quote is on Mathematics in my opinion. I don't know exactly what it is, but it is some vague chatter.

Most funny quote is on satellites: "beep beep beep" :D

i like:
"The beaurocracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding beauroracy."

Johnny Cash, Rock Island Line
Now, this here’s the story about the Rock Island Line
The Rock Island line, she runs down into New Orleans
There’s a big toll gate down there
And, y’ know, if you got certain things on board
When you go through the toll gate
Well you don’t have to pay the man all toll
Well, the train driver, he pulled up to the toll gate
The man only asked him what he had on board, and he said
I got livestock, I got livestock
I got cows, I got pigs, I got sheep, I got mules, I got- all livestock
Well, he said, you’re alright, boy
You don’t have to pay no toll
You just go right on through
So, he went on through the toll gate, and as he went through
He started picking up a little bit of speed
Picking up a little bit of steam
He got on through he turned a look back to the man, he said
Well, I fooled you, I fooled you
I got pig iron, I got pig iron
I got all pig iron

RandomInsanity said:
i'm sure they could have used a better quote for that

They have in different quote in the german one. I think it's something like "The railroad is 10 percent iron, 90 percent manpower" or something to that effect.

I think the quote for communism is pretty good.

RandomInsanity said:
i'm sure they could have used a better quote for that

I must say that I like random quotes from literature. Remember the quote for Contruction? I have no idea where it's from or what it's about, but I really like it. It just sounds epic. And I like the railroad quote because it makes for a fun random thing to say once in a while.

Lord_all_Mighty said:
They have in different quote in the german one. I think it's something like "The railroad is 10 percent iron, 90 percent manpower" or something to that effect.

Speaking of the German version - I heard that the Hitler quote is different, or that his name doesn't appear - is that so?

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -Al Capone, Gunpowder quote.

mtu said:
I must say that I like random quotes from literature. Remember the quote for Contruction? I have no idea where it's from or what it's about, but I really like it. It just sounds epic.

Actually it's interesting that you mention that one, it's a goofy quote. It's from Shelley's Ozymandius. The actual final lines of the poem are:

Percy Bysshe Shelley said:
My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings,
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

The poem is actually about how everything decays, and those who think they can outlast time are foolish. The poem is actually the reverse of what the quote implies.

I love the communism quote myself:

"When I give food the the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

History_Buff said:
I love the communism quote myself:

"When I give food the the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Thats one of my favorites to, but where is it from anyway? Never heard of it before... :confused:

I love the one for mathematics...but then, I'm a mathematician, so there you are. Though sometimes I wonder why they didn't use the quote from Darwin: "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there."

I'm a fan of the communism one too.

I'm not so much of a fan of the one for monarchy though.

Harry_P said:
The poem is actually about how everything decays, and those who think they can outlast time are foolish. The poem is actually the reverse of what the quote implies.

I read the poem on Wikipedia (right here) right after making that post. It's an impressive one indeed - and once more the game proves its love for detail. Try to find that in a Microsoft RTS...

The democracy one is good too...."Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried" :D

potatokiosk said:
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -Al Capone, Gunpowder quote.
I like that quote

Top Bottom