1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quotable Quotes

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by HawkeyeGS, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

I've learned more from the Civ games (and things that I became interested in/got introduced too) then from my high school History classes. Whoever said computer games are an utter waste of time and don't teach you anything should be shot. :lol:

(And for the record, my history classes weren't even that bad, I actually had some pretty good teachers, the problem was I pretty much already knew everything... Through civ. :mischief: )

2. Lord_all_Mighty

Lord_all_Mighty Watching....

Yes it is. His quote is still there, be he is credited as "German Dictator".

3. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

As I have indicated several times here already (and will continue to say until someone convinces me otherwise ;) ) Civ4 is a fantastic tool for home schooling!

My 5 year old is now fascinated by history and geography. His desire to read better, so he can decipher the more complicated messages and understand the game better is amazing to watch.
    The number of subjects that a discussion of his latest civilization game can lead to is mind boggling!

My favourite moment was the dinner time conversation between he and my daughter (4 years old) about the merits of open borders with Montezuma given his warlike nature (he likes to 'make war with me').

4. aaronflavor

aaronflavor Warlord

Speaking of cool things Leonard Nemoy said, anyone have a link to that 'music video' of Leonard Nemoy singing about Bilbo Baggins?

5. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

6. aaronflavor

aaronflavor Warlord

Thanks!! I have now acheived actualization--my life is complete... at least assuming that my plans for a hot date with Natalie Portman also work out...

7. balthamael

balthamael Warlord

good luck aaron ;) tell her how good you are at Civ, im sure she will be fascinated!

8. Odin2006

Odin2006 Apolytonian

The quotes for Liberalism (the guys at the NSA doing wiretaps should read that one), Communism, Satellites, Fission, Ecology, Gunpower, Civil Service and Economics are the best. :D

9. lbhhh

lbhhh King

My top 3 in no particular order of preference:
    1-Liberalism
    2-Democracy
    3-Gunpowder

10. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

Future Tech 99: "Cap'n, she can't take it -- if I give 'er any more she'll blow!"

11. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

I agree civ along with many other historcal games are great educational tools (not to mention fun). Aswell as teaching the historical facts they also teach a bit about diplomacy which would be nice if everyone had no matter wether you are a world leader or a kid in school. A bit of tact with those who share your existance is the most valiable commodity in existance. I mean if you were not invading a civ because you wanted a domination or conquest victory would you. I mean even if you want to gain a resource (or just expand a bit) the war and its reprecussions almost always outweigh any possible advantage you can gain. If you played the game once or twice as though it were real in which case never ending (no victory conditions) and all you wanted to do was create a prosperous empire it is harder and takes longer if a war occurs.

12. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

I didn't know that you anything changed once you went that far. I thought the good old Dan Quayle "The future will be better tomorrow" quote was the last.

I know what I'm doing next game.;)

13. mabellino

mabellino Muggle

Can't remember if that's for Literature, Paper or Printing Press but it's my personal fave

14. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

I find a great deal of irony in the Industrialism quote:
    "The goal of the industrialist is to make the best product possible for the lowest price possible, while paying the highest wages possible."

15. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

Okay, so I have a vivid imagination. ;-) But wouldn't it be fun if it were true, and you could hear Nimoy recite a canonical Engineer Scott line?