Quote Feature Suggestion

Dralix

Killer of threads
Just wondering if it is technically possible and feasible to modify the "quote" button so you could highlight a section of a post, then hit quote and only the highlighted text would be quoted.

Just a thought, maybe a stupid one ...

I have noticed that quick reply has significantly cut down the numbers of quoted comments - more people (definetley me) use ' ' instead.
Sort of related is there anyway anyone can think of to discourage people from replying in quotes - that annoys me immensley (i get annoyed easily)

@Dralix: I actually tried that the first time I tried quoting someone hoping it would work. I still don't know how to quote more than one person in a post. Not that I need to know, but I think that your idea would be a cool feature too...

Originally posted by Graeme the mad
I have noticed that quick reply has significantly cut down the numbers of quoted comments - more people (definetley me) use ' ' instead.
Sort of related is there anyway anyone can think of to discourage people from replying in quotes - that annoys me immensley (i get annoyed easily)

:p

@Dralix: I actually tried that the first time I tried quoting someone hoping it would work. I still don't know how to quote more than one person in a post. Not that I need to know, but I think that your idea would be a cool feature too...

You dont understand what I mean floppa, sorry for meaking less specific - it is this that annoys me, I mena how the heck you meant to tell what is quote and what not???

If you edit a post that has a quote in it then you'll see the system of square brackets used to make the quotes like this: [QUOTE]. You can use them to make up the post you want and don't need to click on the button to quote. It is not an ideal system but with a little effort you can get it to work. :goodjob:

I always use Quick Reply -feature, but it's easy to just add the [ quote ] tags to
the start and end of the message... So no problemo!

Quick reply won't work for me :(

Correction: It worked now :D

Originally posted by duke o' york
You can use them to make up the post you want and don't need to click on the button to quote. It is not an ideal system but with a little effort you can get it to work. :goodjob:
For me that was the only way I quoted people for month until I finally realized the quote button. :lol:
But I still write most quote tags myself, the qoute button quotes in big font and as I usually don't want that I have to delete the "big" tags manually. In that time I can also wite (quote)(i)Originally posted by WhoeverItMightBe(/i)(/quote) and then paste in the part I want to quote.
It's really not that complicated...

Hey Graeme you're right, but I never noticed it before... I guess if people do that, they run the risk of getting ignored indirectly... If it's a quote of a post a little earlier in the same thread, I won't reread the whole quote, so I probably have missed something somewhere....

I manually type most quote tags myself, and often just save them in clipboard.

The Java quote button on the post edit page is inferior to the way tehy do it at Gamecatcher. But alas, gamecatcher is no more due to their computer failure. At least it is not back up yet, bu tI understand they are trying to fix it. If (when) the do, try the edit page quote button.... it simply puts the proper quote tag where you want it... no annoying popup window as a middle step.

:)

Originally posted by starlifter
The Java quote button on the post edit page is inferior to the way tehy do it at Gamecatcher

Indeed, phpBB's javascript is far better than all this vB scum :D gc's back up now btw...

Well the best way to get this feature would be to convert this forum to phpBB.
:D

I'll admit I sure do like GC's quote feature but my account needs to be reactivated there, something about an e-mail?!?!?!

The only prob is that people can insert double, triple,. quadruple and more quotes in one post. It can look rather interesting :)

Originally posted by gonzo_for_civ
I'll admit I sure do like GC's quote feature but my account needs to be reactivated there, something about an e-mail?!?!?!

I thought I did that ages ago.

The only prob is that people can insert double, triple,. quadruple and more quotes in one post. It can look rather interesting :)

Which is much better than vB's system :) the limit is about 25 I believe

Top Bottom