Quote Supplementation/Replacement interest?

Graethyenne

Chieftain
Hey Folks,

I have seen a lot of dissatisfaction expressed about the quotes. I'm not a modder, but I am a voice actor and sound engineer, and I have wanted to pose the question - would there be interest in crowd-sourcing a list of accurate and tonally different quotes which I would voice? I'm no Sean Bean and I would need a modder to help me create a mod to get them into the game, but I'm happy to take point if people want to help select and research new quotes, and would like to see something like this exist.

Moderators - for the moment this is in general because I'm just gauging interest/building a coalition. If it get's traction it may make sense to move, but I'd ask that it not be moved just yet as the question is of general interest. Thanks!

It could be a fun project, but many people are not the best voice actors/orators, and voice quality could itself be tricky to get at a nice level. I suppose one could also collect "found quotes" in the public domain (recordings of Churchill might fit there), but in the case of the misfire cartography quote and other such, it might be best just to attribute such quotes to the real origin (Dolly Parton, in the case of the cartography quote, said something similar, but not John Quincy Adams). Alternatively, replace a few dumb quotes (Roman empire and air conditioning :crazyeye:) with some sensible ones? It might also be nice to have a female narrator do all of the replacement quotes.

This really should be done by Firaxis. There is no reason to have inaccurate quotes in their game. Or at least change the text to show where the quotes actually came from.

I'll just reprint my post in the other thread

While I understand redoing some of the quotes with Sean Bean is cost prohibitive there is no reason they can't get someone else to do quotes (Civ4 did this with their expansions rather than pay the big bucks to bring back Leonard Nimoy for the new technologies). I myself want to hear a female give the tech quotes. It's about time. It doesn't have to be someone famous, in fact, I'd rather it not be someone famous. But I do prefer a professional voice actor (unlike the person who gave the tech quotes for Civ4 expansions- he sounds like a computer programmer LOL).

I'd like a redo of the erroneous quotes, and also some additional quotes so there are at least 2 quotes for each technology. Some already have 2, but not all.

It could be a fun project, but many people are not the best voice actors/orators, and voice quality could itself be tricky to get at a nice level.

Just to clarify, I am professional voice actor and sound engineer, so while I wouldn't ever put myself on the level of someone like Sean Bean I do produce audiobooks and supply VO for a wide variety of projects. The crowd sourcing side was for the provision and researching of the quotes (so that we aren't replacing one set of flawed quotes with another).

I doubt Firaxis will redo the audio assets with or without Sean Bean as that just doesn't seem like a priority for a game out the door. That said, I agree the best option would be for them to bring Mr. Bean back into the studio with a better selection of text.

You would be a good choice to do the alternate quotes, Graethyenne. A female voice actor could be brought in to read quotes by females as well.

I am curious to know how much you charge your clients for similar VO work. It would be much cheaper than someone like Bean for sure.

Last edited:
I would be happy to help in some selecting some new quotes! I've spent the last few years studying Latin and Greek literature so I could certainly provide lots of quotes from that.

Hopefully some other people can also contribute who are familiar with the literary traditions of other parts of the world, so we can come up with a balanced selection.

Well it won't save the game but I'd feel less dirty after playing it :). I had hoped someone would do a "best of previous editions' quotes" mod, which could additionally add some nostalgia. This sounds good too.

I'm not a modder, but I am a voice actor and sound engineer, and I have wanted to pose the question - would there be interest in crowd-sourcing a list of accurate and tonally different quotes which I would voice?

I think we should first focus on creating an alternative list of quotes (I haven't seem anything on the mods sub) then worry about voicing them.

What I want is an option to remove Sean Bean altogether so I don't have to tinker with deleting files from the game directory. The last thing I want is another voice bothering me, however good it may be :p

I wouldn't think I'd care at all as those were always a matter of a couple of games before I'd start ignoring them and seek a way to mute those (whether by muting the sound altogether or using a mod that specifically mutes quotes). But I gotta say, this is the first time that I found the quotes so idiotic/stupid/annoying that besides muting them I still hate seeing them.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that." Bill Shankly (legendary manager of Liverpool FC) - Professional Sports

I think this is a great idea. In my next few games, I'll start taking notes of which quotes I think should be changed,

Last edited:
If we are going to replace Civ VI's tech quotes (and certainly they are in desperate need of replacement), it's worth thinking about what makes a good tech quote. Here are some suggestions I have on that front:
  • First, quotes should be historically accurate. We should only use quotes which we can attribute to historical figures with confidence. In addition to philological accuracy, quotes should also convey a generally accurate impression of what the speaker thought; they should not be taken out of context to create misleading impressions. Sadly, many Civ VI quotes fail these elementary tests.
  • Second, quotes should be directly and primarily relevant to the technology. Many quotes in Civ VI only tangentially or poetically relate to their technology. For instance, the Civ VI quote for Steam Power is "It is arguable whether the human race have been gainers by the march of science beyond the steam engine. --Winston Churchill." An interesting quote, perhaps, but Churchill is really making a point about stuff that came after steam power, not steam power itself. It is best, when possible, to find quotes that are primarily about the technology in question.
  • Third, quotes should make a serious point. Many Civ VI quotes are simply inane. For instance, the quote for Chemistry ("Chemists do not usually stutter. It would be very awkward if they did, seeing that they have at times to get out such words as methylethylamylophenylium") is a cheap joke that has no really interesting substance behind it. This does not mean, however, that quotes cannot be funny; humor is often a very effective way to convey a serious message. Quotes that are only humor without any serious message, however, should be avoided.
  • Fourth, quotes should cover a broad historical scope. Civ VI's tech quotes are mostly by 20th century Westerners. Since Civilization purports to be a game about the entirety of human history, it would be better to also include the perspectives of people from other times and places.
  • Fifth, quotes should avoid undue negativity. For instance, the Civ VI quote for Mysticism is "Mysticism is the mistake of an accidental and individual symbol for a universal one." That's an interesting point (and as a matter of fact I rather agree with it). But I think would be better to avoid quotes that denigrate the technology in question, and instead let the adherents of the technology speak up for it. Civilization is a game about progress, after all, and the player should feel like he or she is discovering something valuable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom