[R&F] Government District Discussion

Phoenix1595

Lord of the Two Lands
So far, we've learned one of the new districts in the game will be the Government District (henceforth, GD). According to game developer interviews, players will only be able to build the GD once, and it will aid in the redesigned government policy system. Depending on the government you have, certain buildings will unlock, providing bonuses to your civ. Loyalty will be tied to the GD in some manner, and from what I hear about the governor system, the resource points required to gain governors will probably accumulate at GDs (makes sense, since faith comes from Holy Sites, GPP from respective districts, etc.).

I am interested in hearing from others about this new District. With both the GD and loyalty now in play, I can see us returning to the days of always building courthouses (likely a main GD building) in every city to stem unhappiness/corruption (although now courthouses will probably boost loyalty). Will the GD need to be built in our capital, or can it be located elsewhere (a second capital, if you will)? Plus, with all of these new districts, will the district cap be raised, or district costs lowered, so that players can take advantage of all these new districts? Inquiring minds want to know!

People have flirted with the idea of having Inca GD buildable on mountains. I wouldn't mind this too much, tbh. If that were doable, however, we should be able to build tunnels and canals to make mountains passable for other civs. That unique advantage would be incredible.

I'm hoping you can build a palace & customize it.

I’m excited to see what the GD will do... maybe it’s buildings will confer a bonus similar to the governments they’re built for? Perhaps Theocracy Building cuts faith purchases even further for this city, Autocracy Building grants +10% more Wonder building in this city, Fascism Building grants +20% more military production...

Or maybe they’ll grant unique effects?

The way they described, it sounded like the points to unlock governors is tied to the Civics tree, in the same way we get Envoys in some Civics and unlock spies in some techs/civics. What I got from it is that there's an exact number of this points, just like spies but you decide if you gonna unlock a new governor or upgrade one you already have.

According to the PC Gamer article :-

PC Gamer said:
There can be only one of these in your entire civ, and it interacts directly with the updated government system. Based on your current government type, you will be able to build a number of new buildings in your government district, each of which unlocks policy cards.

So there will only be one, presumably in your Capital. So the idea of Courthouses à la Civ IV doesn't seem to be returning.

Districts usually have space for three buildings, so I'd reckon you get one building per tier of government, depending on which one you have picked.

Tier 1
Autocracy - Imperial Palace
Classical Republic - Senate
Oligarchy - no idea for this one

Tier 2
Monarchy - Royal Court
Merchant Republic - Doge's Palace
Theocracy - Apostolic Palace

Tier 3
Democracy - Parliament
Fascism - Chancellery
Communism - Politburo

I've tried to be as generic as possible with the language, but the trouble is there are many iconic real-world examples of each. And of course, Chancelleries are not by definition fascist...

We've seen two screenshots of this district already, although you can't see much in one, except that it has higher modern buildings.
We've also seen a screenshot were it has two buildings. But buildings like that are not to be found on the other screenshot. So my first idea was that it completely changes its looks with the governments, not just adds a building. But then we wouldn't have the classical building and the medieval one in the screenshot where it is in the front.

Nice suggestions @Uberfrog. While the ideas for naming might differ, I like your list. I think for Oligarchy, a council of Elders seems likely. Famous examples are the early Aeropag or Gerusia.

It seems plausible that the district unlocks with the first governments, so at Political Philosophy.

It is already confirmed, that governor titles (a re-translation from German) are generated by Government Districts (and one of the new wonders, presumably Archive General de Indias).

So there will only be one, presumably in your Capital. So the idea of Courthouses à la Civ IV doesn't seem to be returning.

I think courthouses are returning in the second district to manage loyalty.

Districts usually have space for three buildings, so I'd reckon you get one building per tier of government, depending on which one you have picked.

I think representing the place there rulers reside literally would be quite boring. So, just my fantasy:

Tier 1
Autocracy - Royal burial
Classical Republic - Forum
Oligarchy - Senate

Tier 2
Monarchy - Castle
Merchant Republic - Doge's Palace (yes :) )
Theocracy - Apostolic Palace (yes :) )

Tier 3
Democracy - Parliament
Fascism - Reich Chancellery
Communism - Mausoleum

Assuming this is the purple district in screenshots it must go next to the city center. Buildings like Parliament Houses and Courthouses would go here, maybe even prisons.

There's defeniately something coming that unlocks based on your government.

A column was found under the buildings data scheme called "GovernmentTierRequirement".

In addition, it also has a boolean of "UnlocksGovernmentPolicy".

So...

There's defeniately something coming that unlocks based on your government.

A column was found under the buildings data scheme called "GovernmentTierRequirement".

In addition, it also has a boolean of "UnlocksGovernmentPolicy".

So...
Government Tier not Government Type? So only 3 buildings since there are 3 tiers.

Government Tier not Government Type? So only 3 buildings since there are 3 tiers.
If they are only tied to tiers then they would have to be very generic government buildings. Since the district can only be built in one city I can't imagine one of the buildings being a courthouse. Generic buildings could be a Treasury, Supreme Court, Forum? I'm already out of ideas. Parliament does not exist in every government type.

maybe the courthouse will make it as a city centre building, like the monument and sewer? I expect the courthouse would be largely a waste on your own continent, but if you go for wide colonial spread on new continents or in captured enemy cities you need to build courthouses to ensure these distant cities dont flip.

This is a bit unrelated, but I think the second mystery district they haven't described yet is... Canal district.

It would have the brown color of industrial district and let ships pass thru it and give gold and prod bonuses.
Probably doesn't have any buildings you can build into it though?

Top Bottom