1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

R & F -- No mods allowed?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by CaptainPatch, Feb 8, 2018.

1. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

I had about 20-30 mods installed pre-R&F. A couple even stated "compatible with Rise & Fall". But when I set a new game, after hitting "Play", the game goes back to Main Menu. So I disabled ALL mods, but reenabled those that claimed compatibility. But when I tried "Play", it still went back to Main Menu.

What's the deal? NO mods at all allowed? Sorry, but I've gotten spoiled on just how much better a modded Civ is. So I guess I will have to just set R &F aside until it is announce that the Steam Workshop (and hopefully the Nexus mods as well) mods have become compatible. (Which, given how fast Firaxis is about creating Change will be ......?)

2. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain

I had the same situation. Game just looped back to main menu. There obviously something wrong with new expansion. Mods handling is broken. In my case I get database error complaining LEADER_ALEXANDER is not found in Types table. When I disabled Macedon(and Persia) DLC everything goes smooth now.

3. CaptainPatch

I don't even get any error messages. I just keep finding myself looking at the Main Menu again.

4. Ashandalar

Ashandalar Chieftain

It's not up to Firaxis to make the mods compatible; it's up to the mod developers to update them for the expansion, so there will be no announcement after which all mods suddenly become compatible again. The simplest mods may take a day or two, depending on how much spare time the developers have, and whether the developers care to update them. More complex mods may take weeks or even months, again depending on the mod developers.

As for the mods which claimed to be compatible, clearly some of them are mistaken. All I can suggest is to disable them one at a time to narrow down the culprit(s).

5. CaptainPatch

The basic question here is, has ANYONE been able to start a game with one or more mods active? I get the feeling that R & F _demands_ a vanilla game and will CTD, freeze, or as in my case, just flip back to the Main Menu if it detects ANY deviation from the vanilla script.

As you say, it will be up to the modders to work up some compatibility fixits to make their mods functional again. And as the game supplement just now released, they didn't have any game code to look at to work out those compatibilities in advance. (Or if there are some modders that did get ahold of some advance copies, they would undoubtedly be far and few in between.)

It seems rather ironic to me because as far as I could see, Steam and the game manufacturers actually want the users making mods for their games. Mods make most any game MUCH more long-lived as players keep coming back to replay games that would have long ago gone stale if not for mod content. (For example, I spent 3655 hours playing Skyrim; if not for the mods, I most likely would have walked away after just a couple hundred hours at most.) Additionally, developers get an opportunity to see just what kind of features players are most interested in. After which they can emulate those features in supplements, expansions, updates, or next edition of the game. FOR FREE. The focus group interests are there for all to see. Nearly all of the kinks have all been worked out. And thousands of players provide a mountain of betatesting for whatever the concept was. [Bethesda did precisely this with Fallout 4. They obviously scrutinized many of the most popular mods for Fallout 3 and then incorporated those things into FO4.]

What strikes me as odd is that Firaxis MUST have known well in advance this was going to be happening, but neglected to issue any kind of warning. Not even the customary, "You may try to use non-authorized supplemental material (mods) AT YOUR OWN RISK." But then, from what I have seen of Firaxis, they never have been very invested in communicating with their customers. More like, "If you are experiencing difficulties, it is undoubtedly because of problems AT YOUR END."

6. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain

Just go to your Logs folder, open Database.log Look what errors out and disable corresponding content. In my case it was official DLC Persia-Macedon.
    After that ALL mods runs with no issues for me.

7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I had to delete all my mods because disabling wasn't enough. I might try resubscribing to those who claim to be compatible.

8. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

Yes, I've been able to play with a few mods activated. For example: the Barbarian XP mod and two other small mods that I can't remember at the moment.

9. CaptainPatch

I had to totally remove all of my mods and then start adding them back, one by one. After each addition, I had to start a new game to see if it was acceptable to R & F. It turns out it that it didn't like TWO of my original mods (Daughter of Ptah and Larger Worlds). HOWEVER, after adding back most of the others (several I had disabled anyway because they caused late-game CTDs and freezes), I discovered that the game simply ignores. For example, Starting Scout, while enabled and apparently accepted, did NOT happen. It makes me wonder just how many of the other accepted mods that haven't come into play yet will also be ignored.

10. yosxpeee

yosxpeee Chieftain

it is maybe loadorder bug.
    R&F is set to loadorder -100. but DLCs are not set loadorder.

I add all DLCs to Loadorder -200, change DLC senarios to loadorder -150.

----
    - Vanilla
    -200 DLCs (and MOD)
    -150 DLC Senarios
    -100 R&F
    ----

11. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain