R & T T2 P4 - Ivory and Fur

What Trade Shall We Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RegentMan

Deity
Portugal and the Mayans have luxuries to trade for us. What deal (if any) do we want to do?

Wines and 11gpt for ivory (Portugal)
Wines and iron for fur (The Mayans)
Both
Neither
Abstain

Discussion is here. The poll will be open for 48 hours.

wines and iron sounds good for me, i vote for that, id like to say that what about the war with Portugal that is being planned, we should consider that, though im not sure if we will be in the war before 20 turns

Considering that we may be going to war with Portugal within 20 turns., I do not want to get into a gpt deal with them. Trading with the Mayans is fine with me.

after careful consideration, i've decided to change my mind. could a mod change my vote to the maya deal option.

Wines AND iron for fur!! Here's the shirt off my back! <grumble>

I don't see the benefit personally. What's in it for us?

Another luxury for us, which drops the luxury slider, which in turn makes more gpt. Additionally, we're arming the Maya with iron in the hope of starting a war over there, slowing the AI tech rate.

The lux slider cannot drop below zero. In 6 turns we will have spices and incence. The slider will go to zero without fur. The Mayans may start building knights. Sorry, but I don't see the benefit of giving a lux and a resource to our most powerful opponent for something that doesn't help us. We may aswell just give them wine and iron as a gift. At least that would improve their attitude to us. Big gift though. ;)

If mad-bax is right (and he probably is), and we really don't need the extra luxury, I would hold off on making the trade. I'm all for playing weapons dealer, but let's save the iron for a tech or something of comparable value.

I voted neither. We don't need the luxes, certainly not for this price, and we don't want to give Portugal or Maya the resources to become a nuisance.

I voted for neither. The trade routes to the other end of the world are too precarious while we are still at war with the Dutch the clockwise direction is blocked and it would only take one more war to break the trade route in the anti-clockwise direction.

Also, the Maya are one of the 2 culture leaders. If anything we will want to instigate a dogpile on them. Giving them Iron and a Lux will only make them more powerful and keep it difficult to keep them in control.

As RegentMan indicates there are only a bit over 9 hours remaining. Vote now.

@RegentMan,
What is the threshold to not do these trades. By my count there are 9 against the trade with Maya and 11 in favor. Do you intend to count this the same way or use a simple plurality?

mad-bax said:
Wines AND iron for fur!! Here's the shirt off my back! <grumble>

I don't see the benefit personally. What's in it for us?
Nothing. We give a very valuable resource and a lux for fur. :crazyeye: We should be demanding things of the Mayans for our precious iron. This is bad for our nation.

MOTH said:
@RegentMan,
What is the threshold to not do these trades. By my count there are 9 against the trade with Maya and 11 in favor. Do you intend to count this the same way or use a simple plurality?
My count shows 2 for the Portugal trade, 11 for the Maya trade, 1 for both, and 8 for neither. If I take the both vote as one vote for each trade, that's 3/12/8. That's barely above 50%. If it stays that way, then I will not request for these trades to be done.

MOTH said:
@RegentMan,

I'll just ignore the @RegentMan bit, and chip in...

In my understanding, someone who voted for (only) the Portugal trade voted against the Maya trade, and vice versa. With the same figures (2,11,1,8) as quoted by RegentMan, I would conclude:
  • 2+1 = 3 for the Portugal trade, 11+8 = 19 against.
  • 11+1 = 12 for the Maya trade, 2+8=10 against.
Maybe this is the same as what RegentMan meant, I don't know, because I don't understand how he interpretes 3/12/8 :)

RegentMan said:
My count shows 2 for the Portugal trade, 11 for the Maya trade, 1 for both, and 8 for neither. If I take the both vote as one vote for each trade, that's 3/12/8. That's barely above 50%. If it stays that way, then I will not request for these trades to be done.

In my earlier post i changed my mind. I'm for the Maya deal only.

Every little bit of Lux would help us.

constitution said:
I. Polling Standards
1. Any poll posted by an official of the Democracy game is considered
official and binding, unless otherwise stated.

Strictly speaking the constitution requires that any official poll is binding. The official must implement the result of the poll.

Even though I don't want the trades to go ahead, I just thought I'd point this out. IMO polling is far too woolly in the DG. I would prefer all polls to have only yes/no/abstein options.

Top Bottom