Racism and Patriotism

Yom

Re-ese Mekwanint
http://www.livejournal.com/users/marinesrsohawt/

Perhaps this should just go under humor, but it is a bit enlightening as well.

It's not surprising that racism is found along with patriotism (since nationalism is usually founded on the belief that one country is inherently better than another), but how pervasive are the two?

C'mon, Yom, give her a break. She's hot and got an A in her resource class.

Yom said:
It's not surprising that racism is found along with patriotism (since nationalism is usually founded on the belief that one country is inherently better than another), but how pervasive are the two?

Not only is nationalism founded on the belief that one's country is best, but that one's race (the majority race in said country) is best, as well. :rolleyes:

Patriotism, in its literal form, would, at least in the United States, inherently disqualify the bearer from being a racist.

That is, the United States is a multi-ethnic nation. It's leaders are of different ethnic backgrounds, it's people are of different ethnic backgrounds, its soldiers are of different ethnic backgrounds. If you are a true Patriot, you will value an African-American marine just as much as you value an Asian-American marine or a European-American marine.

VoodooAce said:
Not only is nationalism founded on the belief that one's country is best, but that one's race (the majority race in said country) is best, as well.

Nationalism tends to go shallower than race and focus on nationality. For example, the Croats and the Serbs can be said to be part of one race, yet that does not prevent them from slaughtering each either. Tutsi and Hutu were also both of one race -- but don't tell that to either of them, or you might get punched. If you're lucky.

In a true nation-state, a uniethnic place, patriotism and nationalism can easily be confusable, which is why we use the terms interchangably. But it's important to note that there is a significant difference. You can't be an American nationalist, technically, for example.

That goes for most of the boys too because you're probably gay and traitors to your country because you would never fight for the American way like my hot marine boyfriend does.

What a strange attitude to the American Way. Presumably the American Way is to dictate what other countries and peoples should do, to ignore cultural differences and to assume that gay people are never combative.

What a shallow, shallow mind.

CruddyLeper said:
What a shallow, shallow mind.
Or a brilliant satirist.

Nice girl she is. And thick too, wow.

What an ugly site. I took one look at it and closed the window. Clearly the one who made it has no sense for what colours go well together.

Pretty annoying Journal, and I get the feeling that the girl writing it is a tad shallow, but some of the comments people there make me sick. Insulting her, swearing at her, and making fun of her boyfriend because she's afraid of him getting hurt. Whatever happened to respectfully disagreeing to a person who lives a lifestyle you think is wrong? Is compassion a dead concept? Bah...

On topic, I hardly think the journal of the personal life of a confused 17 year old girl qualifies as an analyse of the relationship between nationalism and racism.

On the contrary, several of the extremist nationists I've talked to (members of the American Fascist Party mostly) say they welcome Americans of all races, so long as they're native born and unquestionably patriotic to their homeland.

WickedSmurf said:
What an ugly site. I took one look at it and closed the window. Clearly the one who made it has no sense for what colours go well together.

Indeed, I had to highlight the paragraphs to read them. I still had to stop reading after the first paragraph due to the background eyesore.

WickedSmurf said:
Yup the site was sick. Plus I don't have time to read it all, especially through the shocking pink.

Just wanted to say - yes - of course Patriotism is related to Racism. I believe Edward Said wrote quite extensively on this with regard to how humans and cultures define themselves. The typical format is simple really. In order to think yourself of some worth, we instinctively get told by our societies to compare ourselves with another social grouping. Then we denigrate that grouping to achieve a sense of patriotic pride and belonging.

These are both prevalent but the racism is more subtle. In being patriotic you are naturally being racist, they are inseparable. But this is more a case of having a superiority complex than actually harbouring hatred toward another social grouping and going on a '****** shooting spree' or the like.

yeah, no way in hell people can really be that feeble minded right? wrong!

maybe that one is a joke, but ill gurantee you, there are people way dumber than that, we have a few members right here that get warned for racist/homophibic remarks regularly

at least theyre good for one thing, to make me feel better about myself!

no matter how dumb i feel, i always know there are many many people walking this earth, that are old enough to vote (id say theyre adults, but their minds are not), and they make me look like einstein in comparacence :D

Euh. I hate those kinds of girls. Reading that made me glad I don't have to deal with those snobby brats in my high school anymore.

She gets her identity from her boyfriend being a marine, not from herself. And all she seems to be caring about is "hot" or "unhot". It gives me the impression she isn't using her brain for what is was designed.

And yes, she is racist. But that unfortunately is common amongst people who don't use their brains for what is was designed. I don't think she is a patriot really as nothing she says is based on a philosophy, it seems.

I couldn't read that for long because the colour scheme made my eyes hurt. Now when I look at white it looks green :ack:

I do think that being patriotic is inherently racist. It only becomes racist if that person has a certain ideal of what constitutes that country.

I'm confusing myself so I'll put it another way. :crazyeye: :confused:

Being proud of being British for instance is not racist unless that person has a certain stereotpye of what being 'British' is and disqualifys anyone else who doesn't fit that criteria.

I also think that patriotism can be racist if the person assumes that the love for his country derives from his country being inherently better than another.

I don't think that being proud of ones country is racist, or argueing that their country is better at superficial stuff like sports is racist either.

I don't think it's racist to say England is better than Germany at football for instance. Especially since it is an undeniable truth! :lol:

That being said, anyone who puts up a website in pink and purpley blue should be executed.

nonconformist said:
That can't be a real site.
Can it?
Ditto. :confused:
I read as much as I could stand. It strikes me that for a journal there is no introspection there. If it's real, she's a racist.

Patriotism means love of your nation-state, however nation-states are wholly man-man made inventions. They are the offspring of groups of people. Yes, all parents love their offspring, however that doesn't mean you give your children carte-blanche love. Sometimes your kids need discipline and tough-love. When your nation starts to trample on your rights or the rights of others, it is your patriotic duty to reign them in. Tough-love means keeping a close eye on what your kid is up to. A good and just nation, created by good and just men and women can just as easily turn into an evil nation when run by evil men and women.

Top Bottom