Racist art disgraces Czech EU presidency

Mise

isle of lucy
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7827738.stm
Czech EU art stokes controversy
People look at the modern art installation, Entropa, in the atrium of the European Council headquarters, Brussels, Belgium, 12 January 2009
Entropa depicts the EU's 27 member states according to crude stereotypes

A new art installation going on display at the European Council building in Brussels has angered EU members with its lampoons of national stereotypes.

Entropa portrays Bulgaria as a toilet, Romania as a Dracula theme-park and France as a country on strike.

The Czech Republic, which holds the EU presidency, thought it had commissioned work from 27 European artists.

But it turned out to have been entirely completed by Czech artist David Cerny and two associates.

The eight-tonne mosaic is held together by snap-out plastic parts similar to those used in modelling kits.

The Netherlands is shown as series of minarets submerged by a flood - a possible reference to the nation's simmering religious tensions.

Germany is shown as a network of motorways vaguely resembling a swastika, while the UK - criticised by some for being one of EU's most eurosceptic members - is absent from Europe altogether.

Raised eyebrows

The 16-square-metre (172-square-foot) work was installed at the weekend to mark the start of the six-month Czech presidency of the EU.

There has already been an angry reaction to the piece from Bulgaria, which has summoned the Czech ambassador to Sofia to explain.

The three artists responsible for Entropa were led by David Cerny who, says the BBC's Rob Cameron in Prague, is the enfant terrible of the Czech art world.

A close-up of the Entropa installation which shows Bulgaria as a basic toilet, Brussels, Belgium, 13 January 2009

In pictures: Entropa installation
Mardell blog: But is it art?

When his government commissioned him to create the installation, several eyebrows were raised, and they were not raised in vain, our correspondent adds.

Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra said he was only informed on Monday that the installation was not the work of 27 European artists, but David Cerny and two colleagues.

Mr Vondra condemned Mr Cerny and said the Czech EU presidency was considering what steps to take before Thursday's official launch.

"An agreement of the office of the government with the artist clearly stated that this will be a common work of artists from 27 EU states," he said.

"The full responsibility for violating this assignment and this promise lies with David Cerny."

Mr Cerny, who presented Entropa to his government with a brochure describing each of the artwork's 27 supposed contributors from each member state, has apologised for misleading ministers, but not for the installation itself.

"We knew the truth would come out," said Mr Cerny. "But before that we wanted to find out if Europe is able to laugh at itself."

He added that Entropa "lampoons the socially activist art that balances on the verge between would-be controversial attacks on national character and undisturbing decoration of an official space".

Mr Cerny first created a splash in the early 1990s when he painted a Soviet tank, a Second World War memorial in a Prague square, bright pink.

pix: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7827747.stm

I am outraged [pissed]

P.S. if anyone has any more pics please post them!

Racist = anything concerning other nations which I don't like. According to this definition, Mise is one of the most racist persons on this forum :lol:

not particularly funny, and probably a huge waste of money and time (I mean the guy's supposed to be an artist, couldn't he do some more creative stereotyping?)..but I can't quite see what's racist about it...

oh, and why the toilet thingy for bulgaria? I don't get that one :confused:

btw, what was his contribution about his own country?

not particularly funny, and probably a huge waste of money and time
This is what I don't understand -- how was this not discovered before?? Is there no public oversight of EU projects in Eastern Europe? Why was this guy allowed to waste so much EU money for so long??

btw, what was his contribution about his own country?
Would be nice to see that. And all the other countries too.

I read it twice. Which part was racist?:rolleyes:

People see ghosts everywhere:

This one supposedly contains a hidden swastika - I honestly didn't think about it before BBC made this accusation.

Clearly anti-religious! Outrage! :lol:

But personally, the Netherlands wins:

:lol:

UK is missing entirely, so Mise has a right to be outraged :D

This is so awesome. It's great to see a government will to throw PC to the wind for a little fun. Kudos, Czechies.

of course, the real 'scandal', if you want to call it that, being that he lied about who made the installation, inventing 27 artists from member states :shake:

So, seriously: you have to understand it in the spirit in whit it was created. Czech humour is very sarcastic, cynical and politically incorrect, but definitely not meant to be slanderous.

Mr Cerny first created a splash in the early 1990s when he painted a Soviet tank, a Second World War memorial in a Prague square, bright pink.

This particular piece should make the people stop for a while and think about the stereotypes which exist about every EU country. I think the guy hit the nail on the head when he said. "But before that we wanted to find out if Europe is able to laugh at itself."

So, who wants to object to the freedom of artistic expression? :p

Loved the Netherlands one.

Just a little humour for Cripes sake.

Oh my Gosh! Provocative Art! Now I have seen everything :lol:

Further proof that Eastern Europe is a lawless society of vagabonds and miscreants.

btw, the other installations are sketched here (pdf-file about 5M)

I don't really get the czech installation...

furthermore, would somebody please tell me what the deal is with bulgaria and toilet? I'm dying of curiosity here ;)

Further proof that Eastern Europe is a lawless society of vagabonds and miscreants.

See thats the funny thing: while Winner has a go at us for supposedly being PC and thinking its OK to poek fun at countries, his blood will boil because you called Czechia Eastern Europe. funny contradiction.

Top Bottom