Racist art disgraces Czech EU presidency

Really, only the bomber-patrol Putie is art.

Distasteful at worst, slightly amusing at best. Racist?...If europeans mock themselves from stereotypes...is it racist?

What is more amusing and also more distateful is that people in Europe seem have lost their sense of humour and sense of self-irony.

BTW, The drunken gunman hunting strange animals in wooden platform representing Finland is spot on.

Ask the guy to make one for the US now.

Distasteful at worst, slightly amusing at best. Racist?...If europeans mock themselves from stereotypes...is it racist?

What is more amusing and also more distateful is that people in Europe seem have lost their sense of humour and sense of self-irony.

Funny that, since it's usually Americans being lambasted by Euros for taking themselves too seriously.

BTW, The drunken gunman hunting strange animals in wooden platform representing Finland is spot on.

How do you know he is drunken?

Pretending that this sculpture is art because it criticises the EU is vacuous. Don't try.

How did you get this impression?

AFAIK this is not in the least meant as a criticism of the EU. It criticizes nothing, just reveals the national stereotypes. Thus the Bulgaria as the land of Turkish closets - it's not meant to be offensive, it's supposed to make people laugh and say "yeah, that's it!".

About Germany - though I didn't see any resemblance to swastika at first, I admit that nazis are still part of the stereotypes about Germany. I mean, even if they're not the first that crosses your mind (I think about car industry first, reunification second), they are still what people associate with Germany.

Therefore I think he probably did want to arrange the highways into a picture that would vaguely resemble swastika - in order to show that this stereotype exists, however it is now blurred and receding (on the original draft image for Germany, the highways were arranged in a different shape).

About Germany - though I didn't see any resemblance to swastika at first, I admit that nazis are still part of the stereotypes about Germany. I mean, even if they're not the first that crosses your mind (I think about car industry first, reunification second), they are still what people associate with Germany.
They're not the first thing that crosses your mind? Come to America. First time I was suspended from school was for beating up a kid who called me a sausage sucking Nazi.

They're not the first thing that crosses your mind? Come to America. First time I was suspended from school was for beating up a kid who called me a sausage sucking Nazi.

Was he black or Jew? :mischief:

Seriously, nazis are really not the first thing that crosses my mind when somebody mentions Germany - I blame the liberal propaganda promoting evil immoral things like reconciliation!

I'd say that many of the older Czechs learned sympathy for the Germans because they shared the same prison cell (aka Soviet bloc).

Was he black or Jew? :mischief:
Neither.
Winner said:
Seriously, nazis are really not the first thing that crosses my mind when somebody mentions Germany - I blame the liberal propaganda promoting evil immoral things like reconciliation!

I'd say that many of the older Czechs learned sympathy for the Germans because they shared the same prison cell (aka Soviet bloc).
Possibly. Americans never had that, so their opinion of Germans runs towards the Nazi and good car side, and usually a mixture of the two.

To show how outrage, we have to do a strike on strike!

That would be another French primacy!

Seriously, you should do something about it, the disease is spreading - last week the trade unions announced a strike if the gov. doesn't make changes in some laws concerning their social benefits and our center-right gov. caved to that! That's an outrage!

(we must keep the stereotypes about us alive - we're supposed to be the 19th century Wild East capitalists who don't give a damn about welfare, right?)

I dont know how winner, but I have associated Bulgaria with Turkish toilet. When my family was visiting Bulgaria we were warned many times that they have different toilets, so maybe its mainly stereothype of older Czech generation, not European though...but still its too controversial, at least because Bulgarian embassy in the Czech Republic is known as sensitive.

so why wasnt holland depicted as the free sex and drug paradise it is mostly viewed as?
That image is so 1990's. Our new image is being overrun by Muslims who scare the crap out of us.

Both are bull though, lots of caravans would be more accurate.

I dont know how winner, but I have associated Bulgaria with Turkish toilet. When my family was visiting Bulgaria we were warned many times that they have different toilets, so maybe its mainly stereothype of older Czech generation, not European though...but still its too controversial, at least because Bulgarian embassy in the Czech Republic is known as sensitive.

Probably the best explanation I heard so far.

I guess they should change it, West Europeans won't get it.

On the other hand, what is the most common stereotype about Bulgaria in Western Europe? I doubt most of the people there know where it is...

We use a single stereotype for all of Eastern Europe. You're too insignificant to deserve individual national stereotypes.

Top Bottom