1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio-The Final Monarch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Radio Noer, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Well, another section, very fun and fairly eventful.

To begin with I settled another city (pictured later) and decided Freddy must go, so I built up a little stack of Chariots and saw him trying to get a settler out, simply unacceptable, so my hand was forced and this happened...

Well, I took Berlin and Hamburg and made peace

Then I recouped and DOW'd again, this time destroying him.

A picture of the previously German cities

And two cities I founded in this time

Notice how Gandhi is approaching my land, I'm sure I'll have to take him out later (or maybe get Monty to) but for now he is a good trading partner.

Some trades

And a trade with Monty

And as of yet my economy hasn't tanked to 0% due to the gold in addition to CoL and Currency so I think I'll expand peacefully until Gandhi gets in my way.

And so we go...

2. K.Murx

K.Murx Warlord

Well, that looks promising!
    Especially Berlin. +17 food, unless I miscounted. Nice GP farm, with forests to chop whatever buildings you want.

That rice/desert city has more improved tiles than it can work currently, but it is not connected to your trade network (unless I am mistaken).
    Usually you should try to improve food first, then connect the city to the trade network, or ideally build the necessary roads before the settler arrives.

It is no big deal (2 commerce for this city, probably), however sometimes it can be important, especially with temple of artemis or great lighthouse.

3. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

With all this great land, looks like you're in a commanding position. Probably no need to bother taking out Gandhi - he tends to be a good trading partner, and hopefully in your game he'll keep Monte occupied (unlike mine, where they never really fought much). If you can claim those two additional spots, you have plenty of strong land to crush the AI later on.

As you move up levels, you'll want to tighten your early rush - turn 83 is pretty late to be hitting someone with chariots on normal - kind of lucked out that he didn't have adequate defenses up yet. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you had 4 cities when you started it. Chariot rushes are usually better served with 1-2 cities and hitting earlier, i.e., turn 60 or so. I think it was one of your games where I hit Charlie with chariots on like turn 52 or something like that. Turns 80-90 is more horse archer timing. Obviously it worked out well this time, but it's more risky that far into the game to pull one of those off.

4. vranasm

vranasm Deity

you can outexpand AI's totally here... around 1k AD I have 17 peacefully (if you count barb cities as peaceful) gotten cities.

Not sure with the finish though... maybe will wait for tanks :-D or whatever.

5. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Played a very long section and will post later. Sorry in advance for how long it is(it goes from 375 AD to 1600's but I had a lot of fun and forgot to break it up).

6. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Once again,sorry my documentation is skimpy for how long I played, it was just too fun :).

Anywho to begin with I had a couple HA's left over and was trying to find a way to get better relations with Monty. So naturally since Buddhism hadn't come into my lands yet (or ever) I decided to DOW on Gandhi and bribe him in.

After razing two of his cities (to make room for mine) and capturing Madras in a location I planned on settling anyways.

I then made peace with him.

Notice that the Colossus is being built in Berlin as I didn't really have anything else to build so I figured Copper+IND=fast Colossus so why not?

Earlier I also made a trade with Monty

And during this time I founded two other cities

Got Construction from Gandhi for 300 gold and that was the end if internatinoal affairs for a while.

Then I went on a vertical growth binge, especially in Berlin, farming nearly every tile to get a ridiculous amount of food to run a couple scientists, I figured Berlin could also benefit from The Great Library and National Epic so I built both there. Then I beelined Lib and got Nationalism from it. I then built the Taj Mahal in Moscow for the GA and used one of two scientists from Berlin for another GA while teching up to rifling (which was hard because both Monty and Gandhi were WFYABTA for a large portion of this segment). I did however take a brief diversion from rifling to get Astro finished from a partial bulb. Then I sent out a ship and met:

Who also won't trade with me (economics and engineering) but it's not WFYABTA, rather he just doesn't like me enough.

Next segment I plan on rifling and steel for a nice little Rifle/cannon war to take out Gandhi and Monty real quicklike.

7. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Shadow game, 1740AD domination:

Spoiler :

The early game was all peaceful expansion and wonder-spam. Chopped out 'Henge in my first expansion city (near the stone), and built the 'Mids in Moscow. Got fail gold for TGW, never went for TGL, but I got pretty much everything else. As a result, I didn't pop many scientists, instead getting a bunch of GEs and GPs. 1 prophet settled in Moscow, 2nd bulbed Theo and founded Christianity, 3rd built the Christian shrine (which became the AP religion when I switched to it briefly when completing the AP). 1st GE bulbed machinery, 2nd bulbed engineering, 3rd bulbed guilds, 4th bulbed RepParts, 5th rushed SoL. 1st GS bulbed education, 2nd bulbed PP, 3rd bulbed SciMeth.

Gandhi founded buddhism, which spread to me and Fred (Monty was the heathen), so it was a nice peaceful trading circle. Once I got to guilds I declared on Gandhi and took everything except his border cities with Monty. Fred peace vassaled to me just after I capped Gandhi, which put me at war with Monty (I was planning to hit him next anyway). By that time I had cuirassiers (I took MilTrad from liberalism) and I capped him after taking all of his cities on my continent. The economics GM upgraded all of them to cavalry, and I took the war overseas (Monty already had 2 cities there, which made the invasion a piece of cake). I ran over Shaka and Hammy, capping them both just before hitting the domination limit.

8. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Played another section, should post tomorrow.

9. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Well, this section began with a little bit of warring against Gandhi, I wanted more expansion beyond the desert so I took a bit of land from our resident peacemonger.

Pre War

But before my armies marched into Gandhi's land I traded a bit with him.

I figured he wouldn't use Nationhood for the draft so it was a pretty safe trade.

And after taking a couple cities

And the cities I took included

And another trade with him

My ships finally run into the ever wonderful Shaka

And then, what everybody has been waiting for, the war against Monty (at 60% his power no less)

And did I mention he has grenadiers against my rifles, it's ok though as I brought numbers and trebs (I know not the best but I didn't have steel yet). So I slogged through some his cities and made a quick trade with Gandhi for Demo so I could rushbuy, now all my frontline cities are spamming cossacks and harboring Airships to soften Monty's stacks.

Currently we are still at war but I'm taking his cities at a fairly steady rate, so far I've capped:

And my cities are war weary and not very productive, but I have a seemingly good tech lead and should have no problems after this war.

10. K.Murx

K.Murx Warlord

IIRC war weariness is civ specific, so if you made peace with Monte, you could go beat up Shaka without the war weariness problem. Vassal him, gift his cities back and some military techs and watch him spam units. Pick on the Babylonians and eventually the Chinese.
    Then redeclare on Monte with tanks...

11. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Hey guys, I was just on vacation and was wondering if you wanted to see this game played through or have a nice shiny new game to look at. Let me know if I should continue or start anew.

Radio Noer