1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio's Game #1 Monarch Hatty

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Radio Noer, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Hello everybody, I'm playing yet another game on Monarch after just kinda loosing interest in my Stalin game due to vacation. Thus I'm going to start up a new game/series with a more self explanitory title and numbering system for those who like to keep track of things. Anywho, onto the game!

Settings:
    Monarch
    Normal
    Fractal/Standard/Medium Seas (I was planning on Perfect World or perhaps Tectonics perhaps but didn't know how those maps would end up looking)
    Huts/Events OFF

The leader as you may be able to tell

I kinda like Hatty's traits, no Anarchy, quick border pops and double library speed to boot, yes please. Both her UU and UB come early, but I haven't really been able to use her Obelisk in previous games I've played but her War Chariot naturally lends itself to an early chariot rush if horses are nearby.

And the Start

I'm kinda torn on this, should I SIP and miss the fish or take the turn to go 1 W of the warrior and possibly miss a strategic resource and most likely a ton of production.

And I'd like this game to be as accessable as possible so if you would like another difficulty/gamespeed just ask, I'm more than happy to help :)

The save

2. Kingjester1

Kingjester1 Chieftain

I would definitely settle 3 W 1 S to pick up the fish, cows, and corn. You already have the worker tech for the corn and can road to those resources to pick up the bonuses whenever you want since you start with the Wheel. For tech I would go AH -> Mining -> BW to start. A 1 turn loss due to moving isn't that big of a deal on Monarch in my experience.

3. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

No point moving when you have corn and cows. AH first, and if you have horse in the BFC you have an excellent start for a WC rush.

4. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

Mild disagreement - you might choose to move one east, to create more space between the capital and the western coast, depending on what the warrior finds over there.

5. Quaren

Quaren Chieftain

Why would you ever move 3w 1s? A capital with 0 hills is not going to impress anyone. You can clearly get the fish with a city in any of 2 visible spots even if you SIP but as VoU says you might want to move 1 east to make a bit more room.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Yep, moving to fish would be an incredibly poor decision.

Move warrior 1SE to check for resources. SIP or 1E are both fine. I would probably SIP though. There's gotta be more resources around there and I think you definitely have a strat resources in the BFC.

Hatty is a fantastic leader by the way

7. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Well, played this little segment, looks like it could be an interesting map. Anywho, onto the game!

First off I decided to SIP, I need those hills after all.

And I started off AH then Mining, BW, Pottery, started Writing. Started AH to work cows and I revealed the ever wonderful horses, if only I could find another civ...

I happen to stumble upon a Zealot, yay! :rolleyes:.

An American

A Warlord

And another Zealot who spams units and founded Hinduism instead of Izzy's Buddhism, should be fun to watch the religious wars :popcorn:

I had founded Memphis a little while back seems to have a lot of cottageable land and a good amount of hills.

I just made another settler and need some suggestions on where to place it.

Pics of my currently explored area.

And to the Northeast.

So there we go, Justy is too far away to rush (something like 6 turns of travel with WC's) and I found the AI's too late, thus I didn't really prepare any WC's anyways. It does look like I have enough room to expand peacefully, for a while at least.

8. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

You really need to work on your city placement, IMO. That coastal rice/cow city should be 2W to pick up 3 grass hills and lose those 5(!) useless ocean tiles and work some cottages for the capital. Memphis should have been 1W2S - the rice can be worked immediately along with a grass hill, and eventually will have gems + 2 more grass hills after IW. That horse/gold/gems city is just horrible - you have no food to work those good tiles. A city 2N of the rice would have had rice + grass cow and could easily work those 2 gold. Also, why build a barracks if you're not going to war? Unpromoted WCs will easily handle barbs.

9. Keilah

Keilah King

dotmapped future cities are very bad, you have no food to feed the gold mines and have sort of abandoned the gems. Your second city took the food that should have gone to the gold mines.

I guesssssss from here the best thing you can do is move the coastal city 3e to claim rice + gems, scout to the SE to see if there's any food to feed the gold/useful land near the rice 3e of your cap, and probably settle to farm floodplains to feed the gold. Maybe plant a city that steals cows to feed the 3rd goldmine.

i don't want to be rude about it but man, that second city is just gross, you totally screwed yourself out of some great cities :/ You really need to plan several cities before you plant any, to prevent this sort of thing.

10. lymond

Totally agree with Nista. Bad city placement and I don't like Memphis at all for an early city. Too much jungle and not enough to work, plus you left a large unworkable gap between Thebes. Try to settle more compactly and avoid too much jungle early if you can since it will be some time before IW. You want your second city to be as productive as possible as fast as possible. Try to get you cities connected by road asap. I often do this before even settling it and often build my second worker before the first settler for this reason.

And as Nista stated, the red city makes no sense whatsoever. Absolutely no production and all that horrible coast, while settling 2E (nista - your other 2W ;) ) makes it a nice production city. If I'm not in a fight for land I might settle my first city there just for the great production to get out more settlers/workers fast.

Nista, I might consider Memphis 2W2S

11. vranasm

vranasm Deity

I settled Memphis 1SW (on the spice or what it is) it has good "blocking value" and is the only direction towards AI's

then settled 1S of gold, which totally sucks until IW, but gets you gold.

then another city 3E1N of the horses

and then another 7 cities... another rex map...

12. Shaandore

Shaandore another mathematician

For REXing, you need units.
    Why are you building barracks in Memphis? I guess you don't plan on rushing anyone with all that nice land. Build war chariots/workers/settlers instead. Infrastructure can wait outside capital for the late BCs/early ADs. (Except for monument/granary/library, but even some of these should be skipped according to city placement and specialization). Once you have some spare worker turns, connect the capital wtih Memphis to get trade routes.

13. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Yes, I realized Memphis is horrible, I just couldn't really think of any other spot. The dotmapped sites weren't really serious ideas, I was just seeing what would be possible with minimum overlap so I realize they aren't the best.

Edit: BTW thanks for all of the advice, I'm clearly one who needs it ;)

14. lymond

This is part of your problem. You need to get over the idea that overlap is a bad thing. Overlap and a more compact empire is a good thing in the early game, especially as cities can't come close to working all their tiles and sometimes cities can share resources like food to get up and running quickly.

15. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

I know, I had this problem in my Prince game, I have to remember not to relapse ;)

16. lymond

No worries, there is a support group out there for you ...and it is anonymous...it's called CFC I think;)

17. Keilah

Keilah King

i wonder if you might not have better results by abandoning memphis and allowing the barbs to raze it for you

18. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Played a nice little 58 turn segment, plenty of non-action empire building woot!

To begin with I founded Heliopolis 2 E of my previous dotmap (great idea as it is working cottages/hamlets for Thebes)

Shortly thereafter I got Writing and went Alpha, but first I signed a couple OB agreements.

After Alpha I made a couple tech trades (all in spoilers for space purposes)

Spoiler :

Later on I made these trades after Currency

Then after Alpha went Currency then I believe IW as nobody had teched it yet, Aesth, Lit?, Priesthood (was trying for Oracle as nobody had gotten it yet and was hoping for early Feud, got failgold instead), CoL. And after writing I got a GS which I used to build an academy in Thebes and later got another GS and will probably save for bulbing something later (or is it worth it to bulb mathematics?). I'm currently researching MC for forges and Workshops, and also a nice path to Machinery.

I also settled 2 cities, Elephantine for the copper and lots of future production, and Alexandria 1 S of Gold for the Gold of course!

An overview of my empire:

And the northern frontier I hope to settle

I'm not so sure about the Iron/Gold/Pigs spot (or any of them really, they just don't seem to strong, maybe I'm not seeing something?), I was also thinking maybe 1W for less desert hills or 2W to also share pigs. The northern spot I feel is solid with the fp's and decent amount of hills. The easern spot is mostly just to fill in and maybe add pigs to the mix, I don't feel it's very good.

Anyways, how's my progress, I know I can quickly whip up 3 settlers for those city spots and I have CoL so maintenence would be cut down. Also, what should I do with my GS? Wait for a later tech or go Mathematics now?

19. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

I changed my sig because of this, I believe it has improved :)

20. lymond

^^^:lol:

I recommend being a bit more judicious with tech trading. Currency is something you may want to hold on to a it longer at this stage of the game on this difficulty level. You traded it for 2 very cheap techs. Currency is a very important tech and keeping a monopoly on it for a while benefits you. Currency for Monarchy is not bad, but did you really need to pull it off now. Maybe wait a little longer and get some gold in the deal as well. Same with the Writing/Archery trade with Wash. Not really a good trade. Why give him writing for something like Archery which is a tech you don't need and can always be an add-on in a later trade. Archery just adds to the WFYABTA threshold anyway so it is not worth it.

Med/poly for Sailing to Alex was the only reasonable trade I saw in the bunch. What I mean by that is that even though the cost works in the AI favor - as it usually does anyway - you picked up a good tech (Sailing) for some relatively worthless tech (med/poly) even though that combo costs more than Sailing. Again, Currency/Monarchy is not that bad, but I'd rather wait on that and get a better trade like some gold. What you could do, is put a turn into Monarchy and trade Aesths to Iz for it - that is a better deal and Aesths is much less valuable than Currency in every respect.

Another thing to assist with ascertaining good trades is to make sure you focus EPs into one strong techer you meet first thing. Granted, this group of AIs are not in the usual "strong techer" category. Justinian for some reason does ok though so you could focus EPs on him. Wash would be my second choice. Iz is ok and Alex is usually really bad. After a while you will start seeing what that AI is teching and this will help you to determine the overall tech pace and to know when is a good time to trade something, even just trading a tech for gold if he is getting close to finishing.

Overall, on Monarch level you should reach a point near mid-game in which you start blowing the AIs away in tech so don't do them any favors. Early on, after Alpha, definitely trade techs to backfill old techs and stuff. Later, as you start pulling way ahead you can use trade techs sparingly either for large some of gold or as bribes like DOWs. But do so with caution and don't trade anything that will give an enemy an advantage.