1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Raging Barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Noobilator, May 3, 2008.

1. Noobilator

Noobilator Chieftain

How crazy are the barbarians in raging barbarians at noble level? Are they capable of taking down AIs?

2. jlindy

jlindy Death From Below

Their crazy but not impossible to deal with, and yes they can take down civs... Even yours if you don't build a proper military. I like this option I'll rush up the Great Wall and let my rivals take the brunt of it. I'll also rotate units into the hinterlands to toughen them up before a nice war.

3. Leader_H

Leader_H Chieftain

who gets great wall, who is likely to develop much quicker..

4. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Wait, there are people that don't play with raging barbs?

5. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

Raging barbs are stupidly implemented to start with. I'd rather see the raging barbs lift the unit type restriction, including the siege and all UU's and have them spawning and merging in "free time" into stacks. It's not like every barb unit would be a UU, but there would be a chance to have so, barbs represent after all also bandits, renegades and rouge mercenaries from far lands. On the other hand have the XP and GG restrictions lifted, so that a civ that encountered a barb stack is not too discriminated.

6. Willem

Willem Deity

I've seen the barbs take down a civ just with normal settings on several occasions so they certainly can on Raging.

7. Buhdist Punk

Buhdist Punk Chieftain

Certainly glad I get GW in my SP games, Raging is something you can deal with, but why spend all that time rebuilding when the AI is more than happy to do it haha

8. Nishdog

Nishdog Isolationist Bastard

I've noticed a random event where there's a barbarian uprising bent on destroying the very essence of civilization!! :eek::eek:

Quite fun when I have the Great Wall :lol: otherwise quite a challenge to see a large stack of Axes, Swords, etc.. vs. my lowly 1-2 unit defended cities. But I agree with a comment above. If you're playing with raging barbarians, the XP limit should be removed. I'll oftentimes find the barbarians to be my biggest military challenge during the early/early-mid game when raging barbarians are on, especially on a large map with not too many civs present. The barbarians will have A LOT of undiscovered map in which to generate.

9. Dagta

Dagta Chieftain

If you intentionally pick raging barbs and always build the great wall, you're stacking the game in your favor

10. Nishdog

Nishdog Isolationist Bastard

That's true. I did that once and my goal of the game was to protect everybody else from extinction while also having the game set on Always War. That was an interesting challenge to fight my enemies for the right to protect them.

11. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

rouge mercenaries

Not to mention the mascara musketmen and the cold cream cavaliers.

12. ranger101

ranger101 Chieftain

On epic/monarch, you need to get bronze/axes or at least chariots to defend yourselves against the barbs. One usually has to go has to go for archery fairly early as you need at least 3 techs (mining, bronze working and wheel) to get bronze. I find that unless it is your home city, as by the time you get it hooked up, the AI will come to pillage it.

Protective becomes useful early game with Raging Barbs, as an unpromoted archer (City Defense 1, Drill 1) can hold out against 2 archers easily and can get to city defense 2 very quickly. You can also pick up Cover1 with 2/2 experience to help protect copper/horse until you get the it hooked up.

At epic speed, the main problem is if bronze is not nearby. In that case, you need more units and a barracks can help as well. Axes don't derive the same benefit from the promotions, since they get them anyway.

I play with 2 more civs than the default on a large map which makes things similar to a standard map. Barbs tend t0 be more of a problem when I am further away from other civs or when I start in the middle (they can come at you from any direction).

No bronze means you need to find iron, which means that getting the Oracle can be quite difficult with 10 other civs. No bronze with jungle nearby is the most difficult start since you need at least iron, and often math and calendar as well, to make the city productive.

13. omnimutant

omnimutant Warlord

Not necessarily. If you play with a lot of Civs you run the risk of not being the first to build the Great Wall. Plus with all the Cheesy things the AI does in this game to gain an edge? I find it fair play. I've seen hoards of barbs walk through other civs and not even attack them while trying to get to me. I call it Justice!
    :)

14. Tatran

Tatran Deity

I couldn't believe my eyes when the Vedic event spawned 5 or 6 barb archers at my borders.
    Next turn they moved away in the dark and later I got the message the American civlization has been destroyed
    and they where at my continent, because I had met Lincoln.

15. LordMachiavelli

LordMachiavelli Chieftain

But you still have to work to build the wall, sacrificing whatever else you could be building instead. There's also a chance you won't be first, and then you'll have to deal with the consequences, sometimes until you research satellites LOL. If you always build a huge army, are you also stacking the game in your favor?

LM

16. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

There is a really quite unreasonable 'random' event that seems to have happened in every game of BtS I've ever played using Bhruic's patch. Around 2800BC four archers spawn somewhere on the map, either killing me or destroying some other civilization. There's no way in hell to prepare for this event and it happens far too often. And this is with 'raging barbarians' switched off. :(

Why does Firaxis always leave the Civ games for PC in a state of total disrepair?

17. MrBrown

MrBrown Chieftain

After 3.13, I've started seeing barbarians taking down AIs early in the game... As I understand it, this is because of a change in AI behavior in that patch. Apparently they take more risks.

And that's with your average mildly angry barbarian on Noble.

18. Priah

Priah Warlord

It depends on whether or not the AI will prioritize the great wall more because of the raging barbarian settings. If it doesn't, than it is in fact stacking the game in your favor.

19. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Even if it's not technically cheating, it still feels cheesy to set Raging Barbs and rush the Great Wall.

20. Bonescorpion

Bonescorpion You Damn right....

How is it cheating, it just make you prioritize making the great wall over something else. If you dont make it you can get screwed.