1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

raging barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by j_jimmy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Good point. Still expect @lotrmith is right that Settler is stronger when things go well, but Builder is likely safer.

2. lotrmith

lotrmith King

I rarely use agoge, I prefer to try to beeline and boost Early Empire to get my first governor online. Crsftsmanship comes later for me , personally. But then sometimes when I haven't found another continent (to boost the Foreign Trade pre req) it's nice to boost out Crsftsmanship and thus not 'waste' culture. However, I still think it's a tough choice edging Settler, because I rarely have both the tech and the population to work three tiles that early, so I'm not reaping the full benefit of the early builder (and a small percentage of the time, I find a free builder in a goodie hut).

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

When the stars align, I'd run Agoge immediately after getting Craftmanship with my first Settler already out (or almost done) and finish up my army for the game, then run Colonization and pump out Settlers from my capital until there was no more room to place a city. Those games always felt like they flowed well, though they were sometime slow to get my first district out, depending on the quality of my second city (which would be founded later than yours).

lotrmith likes this.
  4. lotrmith

lotrmith King

I'd also note that in my experience a second city prior to a builder coming out typically gives me better options for specific tiles to improve for boosts (one pasture, one farmed resource, one mined resource, hopefully).

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  5. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Hates barbarians.

That is a nice discussion here. The solution to the "barbarian problem" would be so easy: There should be an option in the game settings where the player can choose if he wants to have those many and extremely aggressive barbarians or more passive barbarians. In previous civ games there was such an option, it cannot be that hard to implement. But the developers refuse to do that for whatever reasons since civ6 was released. So I only have the choice between "****load of raging maniacs" or "no barbarians at all", I find that diappointing.

iamliberal likes this.
  6. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

Even if they are annoying, I'd let them turned on. Like in Civ V when they already did more damage to the AI then you.

7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

To me, the biggest problems are that they simply come too early. Like if a barb scout finds you on turn 2 or 3, there's literally nothing you can do, since your warrior is not good enough to chase them down. I'd suggest the following:
    -Barbarian scouts cannot spawn until turn 10
    -Barbarian scouts only have 2 movement points, so that you can actually trap them sometimes. Or maybe they should have a whole different movement system - they get 3 moves, but then every 30hp they are down, they lose a movement point. So basically if you get one shot in on them, they're probably down to 2 moves, and if they're almost dead, then down to 1 move.

I don't mind them being somewhat aggressive. Before the patch they were certainly too passive, to the point that you could almost ignore them completely without issue. They're perhaps a hare too aggressive - I tried starting a couple times last night and more than once they had enough coming at me to kill multiple warriors/slingers of mine. Although I'm probably still in the old habits - will have to beeline archery a little faster now, even if I don't see an AI nearby.

8. Tuvok694

Barbarians still force me to maintain the same early game strategy: forget science, culture and expansion and build units, units, units or the red guys will come and destroy me.
    I am afraid that the development of Civ6 has come to an end and that they will never change those insane barbarians. And I still do not understand why they do not give us the choice between "raging barbs" and "normal barbs". In previous Civ games, there was such an option, why should this not be possible in Civ6?

iamliberal likes this.
  9. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

I am fine with that option.
    Could they also give us a "Raging AI" or "Normal AI" option as well?
    Perhaps a "Stack Attack" option or "1 Unit per Tile" option.

fuad likes this.
  10. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Though the current level of barb activity is IMO about right, they really need to stop horse-mounted barbs appearing in the first few turns both for realism and gameplay.

iamliberal likes this.
  11. Tuvok694

Playing as Germany on level immortal, I just lost my capital to barbarians in round 36 on normal game speed. It's just too much, I'm beginning to hate the game I spent so much time playing over the years.

12. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

It's the horse and horse archer ones early on that I've got a problem with. When I manage to kill one or two of them, another one will spawn from the camp before I get a chance to clear it. Those ones are very frustrating to deal with.

iamliberal and Sostratus like this.
  13. Fluphen Azine

I guess the Horse Archer is more difficult but I realized I wasn't using terrain and fortify correctly.
    Recently I have been doing more fortifying and letting the AI or Barbs run into them.
    Seems to work out better for me.
    I am not getting faster but I am starting to Warmonger better than I used to.
    Turns out Advanced Flight is kinda OP.
    I used to always rush the Tank Path but lately I am seeing how strong an Air Force is.
    Saving a ton of Gold to rush buy.
    I forget I need Aluminum though :)

14. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

My understanding is that horse camps are basically producing raiding parties constantly instead of needing the scout to report back. I don't really mind the idea of horse camps, but i think their radius should be reduced- having to be within 6 tiles of a horse resource ends up being a huge area. If it was 2-3 tiles, then at least it would be rare enough.
    The flipside is that spearman cannot counter horsemen (the 36 str version they auto upgrade to) in a meaningful way - barb horse camps generate horsemen at an alarming rate and they beat spears 1v1. It's a culmination of bad balance.

15. Fluphen Azine

I had this really great game with Gorgo and won a Dom V at turn 195 last night.

I roll Harald this time with more difficult land.
    3 Barb Scouts find me at turn 3.
    Had to put my second city to the south since barbs all over the place or I could of waited I suppose.
    I kill one Barb Camp to the South but the one to the East and North are relentless.
    Up to turn 75 and swords, warriors, archers keep coming.
    Good thing they didn't send horses or xbows just yet.
    Talk about a miserable early game!!

Spoiler Raging Barbs :
    Barbs Attacking 63.jpg

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Sometimes when barbs get tough I ignore the recommended build and make military units particularly early in the game. Late barbs can get annoying when they plunder seashore improvements with submarines (AI also like to do this).

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  17. Basajaun

Basajaun Warlord

I bet you my lunch, that as soon as you get a ship to explore a bit, its going to be surrounded by barb quads, 6 tiles away from Stavanger :D

Barbs advancing so fast to the next unit upgrade is a problem, its either, follow the same path quick, or get ready to repair a lot of districts and improvements, and perhaps lose a city.

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  18. COF - CivOldFart

COF - CivOldFart Chieftain

My first post ever, long time player (since 1991).

There are many strategies as mentioned above, it's all dependent on the specific game. Something generic though that I tend to try sometimes is to use the geography of the land as much as I can to my advantage. If I can't overtake a camp quite yet, I'll setup in jungle/forest with grassland or plains in front, kinda between the camp and my buildout, to bait and weaken when they attack me. I like hills too unless they have archers, then I'm dead meat. But usually they scurry off when weakened. Gives me time to build up a few units and my bait has strengthened, whereby I can pick off their earlier-weakened units and I'm strong enough to overtake the camp.

AsH2 likes this.
  19. Fluphen Azine

Yup... I started Army too late as I figured AI or CS's would help.
    Turned out that land is all barren so they just keep coming in waves.
    Much safer to of just started with straight military... my mistake this game :)

Valid point but you have to get out the army and get control of the hills, jungle or forest.
    My mistake this game was thinking 2 units would be enough till AGOGE.
    Barbs had control and numbers on their side... it took me far too long to kill all the camps.
    By that time my neighbor got control of the better land and I am up the river without a paddle.
    If you look at the screenshot I don't have much.
    Tundra, Desert and Ocean.
    Probably should of went 2 city Warmonger my --- off but now I made DOF.
    Kongo has X-bows and Ngao's so you know.
    I know this kind of game... gonna be a pain from this point on :)
    Guess I should be happy Kongo killed Cardiff and not me lol.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

This so much. Combine the with a warrior scout combo and you can block barb scouts from finding your city... unless it’s sitting on a hill like a barb beacon.

acluewithout likes this.