1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

raging barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by j_jimmy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. AlanC9

AlanC9 Chieftain

*shrugs* I'm reading the thread because I haven't solved it. I always end up having to fight it out with a barb camp because I don't have enough early units to screen all the camps from all my cities. Doesn't stop me from winning games on Immortal. Arguably it helps me since I end up using the army I build for barb fighting against another civ; this wouldn't be my preferred playstyle if the game didn't drag me into it, but it is more efficient than what I actually want to do.

My points is that repeatedly doing something because you think it should work, even though you've seen that it doesn't work, is the stereotypical definition of insanity. You're not actually catching and destroying the scouts, right? What makes you think you will the next time you try it?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

And as I said
    I admit, I have been swamped before, but understanding how it works and when there will be an and means you can plan accordingly.
    The thing is, a deity barb swarm can be nasty(dem ranged units!) and thank god it can be, its good to be scared of something. It is deity. If you are scared on emperor then that should not be so bad. A barb swarm has never lost me a game but a barb swarm and a civ attack have.
    I have lost cities later due to unprotected cities, it is a choice of how I play without any guard units(as do others), and if you are being overpowered by mechanized when you do not have any then perhaps you drifted a bit too much in science. By vthat time of the game on deity you should be ahead. If you want to play immersively on deity, just don't, it is not designed for that. If struiggling on deity drop down or get better and also appreciated sometimes shiz happens. I hate randon tornadoes more than barbs. I have lost first settlers that way and its just meh because it is the hand of god, barbs are not.
    Barbs have a boldness but I am unconvinced it makes much difference.I play with +20 boldness per barb camp per turn and ot just seems not to change much. I play with -20 ... the same. Now if boldness truly made a difference I could suggest a change that would help but with what seems like the current design, there is no slider we can use. A raid is a raid.
    I am trying to help but just cannot see how and also to a degree personally think it unnecessary. shall we all choose our deity difficulty level?

3. AlanC9

AlanC9 Chieftain

How many units does it take to cover all possible approach axes to your capital? I find that I don't have enough to do that and still expand in any reasonable time-frame. Which is no doubt due to inefficient handling of the units I have.

4. Victoria

being aware of where your capital is visible from helps, equally dense terrain slows the scout and being dense is more defendable. When I start I send my warrior out 3-5 tiles then circle, when my scout comes out I try to cover the other ide of the camp in a similar manner. Unexplored tiles are bad because you do not see a camp spawning there so the key idea is to clear an unexplored area around your city. These units keep moving but one thing is being aware of how fast they can get home to defend so I do not send my scout away until at least T25 unless I want to gamble. The ZOC does help but it is by no way perfect.

So the idea is you are 5 tiles out and a scout pops up next to your capital. You should have a good chance of blocking it’s path home. You use a blocker to block the scout and a catcher to attack it. Sometimes you can play ping pong with a scout.

If you have coast or mountains it helps cut down options.
    City states and other civs can spirt a scout out of their midst, often damage, typically a long way from home but it can get back home and I have seen raids traverse 28 tiles through other civs to a target.
    Once you have got rid of the original off you will be alerted if a camp appears in explored fog and you can see it which does help.

finally, in response to the question, I for one do not create enough units to cover all approaches, I create enough units to lower its chances of getting home fast or of spotting me at all (which is a warrior and a scout) But I only worry until I have an army built and archers up. After that I really don’t worry too much. It seems to work OK amd I only get raided on deity probably once every 40 games or so but I do play coastal cities.

Certainly being Sieged purely by barb scouts is not a promising situation but did happen in a game once. I did not get a scout first, assuming because my city was so well hidden enemy scout would not see it. Note 2 of the barb scouts singing me do not even know I am there. One can see me but spotted an enemy city first.
    upload_2020-7-6_8-45-41.png

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    tedhebert likes this.
  5. AlanC9

AlanC9 Chieftain

Just had an experience that made me want to revive this discussion. Playing TR, immortal, standard continents map, I had one scout approach my city on turn 3 from the west, and another show up on turn 8 from the east. It's conceptually impossible to defend both sides with one unit, obviously. I take it sometimes you're just going to get clobbered by barbarians, end of story?

6. Victoria

Then add an aggressive civ into the mix like the incans. To be fair, there is a fair chance one of the 2 scout may not make it back due to CS and other civs but yeah, expect the worst.

7. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Like this?
    Spoiler :

Im effed.jpg

8. AlanC9

AlanC9 Chieftain

Ouch. How'd that go for you?