1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Raging Barbs: Now with extra rage?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Polycrates, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

Has anyone noticed the barbs getting more ragey in Bts when Raging Barbarians is on? It was fine on Prince and Monarch, but when I've moved back up to Emperor, I've suddenly been swamped by barbarians in unprecedented numbers every time. It's been a while since I've played the regular game, but I don't remember there ever being anywhere near as many so early (and I've always played with raging barbs). They start ~2700BC, and there seems to be a new barbarian warrior or archer coming at me about every second turn (or more often) immediately thereafter. It's like Fall From Heaven or something. I had to restart a couple of games because I was getting so overwhelmed, and I've had to go straight for archery just to stay afloat. And this is on standard size/epic/continents with a couple of extra civs, so it's not like there's masses of empty space all over the place. Is this normal on Emperor/Raging Barbs and I've just forgotten? Or is this more rage than before?

Anyway, it's pretty great (I love big barb fights, makes the early game way more fun), but it just seems strange, and I'm not entirely sure how well the AI copes with it.

2. BeardedWonder

BeardedWonder Chieftain

Fine on Prince?! I've been playing a game on a fractal map on prince level and on raging barbs they really were swarming. The had built about 4 cities in a crescent far to the NW of my empire. by the classical era, all developed by workers and an extensive road network.

Had swordsmen, axeman and spearmen swarm down on me. Like you say, muchos fun though!

Makes me feel like I'm bringing civillisation to a troubled world rather than just expanding in to empty land.

3. weimingshi

weimingshi Prince

Ya, I play on emperor, didn't build any barracks yet and all my axeman are capped at 10 exp now. If there is no exp cap for barbs. One or 2 of my axeman should be around 25-30 exp by 1000bc

4. kattana

kattana Warlord

you can undo that by changing the setting within a globalsettings.xml file within the assets directory. there is a XP cap for animals at 5, barbarians at 10

open the file and do a search for MAX_XP and you will find the 2 settings. though dont change that file directly, copy it to your custom assets directory within your my documents/games..etc folder, then mod it there.

its great fun to play on a pangea, raging barbarians, large world map, with NO other players or AI players. just you and the barbarians..wave after wave after wave after wave...etc

i've had archers with 3 rows of upgrades..its wild

5. BlackJAC

BlackJAC Prince

When do barbs stop upgrading their units?

That sounds the dogs bollocks, however, it would become boring quite fast once the human discovered more advanced techs.

If there's a way to get the barbs to keep their military units at a reasonable level, then I'd give it a go.

6. MrWhereItsAt

MrWhereItsAt Warlord

What DO the barbs get to in tech level? I've had tough times conquering the barbaric new world continents (what else has changed? ;) ) when I had Rifles and Cav vs their highly developed Walled cities full of Longbowmen, but I've never left developed barb cities around after about that time period.

7. frob2900

frob2900 Deity

Check the XML files. Barbs cannot build anything better than rifles and they can't build any siege equipment. With simple XML edits you can remove this limit and have Barb tanks/Infantry/Bombers.

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Well, in Vanilla and Warlords, the highest unit Barbarians can build are Grenadiers and Riflemen.

EDIT: Crosspost.

9. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

By the way, I've always loved the idea of "raging grenadiers." :crazyeye:

10. kattana

kattana Warlord

for that you want to change the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file and look for this entry within it

<Type>CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN</Type>

then underneath that area go into it and remove all the techs listed before the

<DisableTechs/>

tag

for even more barbarian fun!! you can go into the CIV4HandicapInfo.xml and change the handicap settings for a gameplay level to REALLY crank up the hordes of barbarians.

darn good fun.

11. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

So anyway, this seems to be pretty standard on Emperor/Raging Barbs now, and I can't recall it ever being like that before:

Pretty awesome!

12. SoCal

SoCal Chieftain

With Warlords on Rhye's earth map, I was the Inca in S. America and had a very similar experience at the Emporer level.:eek:

13. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Prince

Eh, it does NOT sound too fun just to play v. Barbarians :)

But thanks for the tip on how to undo the Barbarian cap. I will definitely use it!

P.S. Why is the cap on in the first place? I could never understand it.

14. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Prince

What application do you use to open up the XML document?

15. kattana

kattana Warlord

actually.. i made up a mod to play simply against the barbarians. I modded the XP caps, gave them access to all techs/abilites like a normal civ, and then made up a new game difficulty level that played you at chieftain level, but with the barbarians cranked up WAYYYYYYYYY past even the top game level. I also made it so that you were given a few defending units right at the start, else you wouldnt live past 30-40 turns. :lol:

played on large pangea maps, it made for a brutal all out war against the barbarians, trying to make your mark on the world with your civ.

but yeah..to each their own fun!

:D

16. kattana

kattana Warlord

you want to use notepad, or any other pure ascii text editor.

do NOT use word pad or word as they save format info which will kill the xml file for use

as always..copy over the filoes you want to mod from the game locastions to your C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets directories.

NEVER MOD THE ORIGINAL GAME FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy! :goodjob: