Ragnarok: A Final Destiny (North European Civs)

Lady Freya

Chieftain
Basically, I've been playing Civ3 for the past decade and decided it was about time that I tried a little mod of my own. Since I usually don't have the time to sit through a "regular" game, this is intended for a quick challenge lasting one or two hours, with accelerated production on a tiny map. I have tested it a number of times up to the "Regent" difficulty level and it seemed fairly balanced (it wasn't always the same civ to win at last, hehe) but I will gladly call this version 1.0b and accept suggestions for improvement from anybody willing to give it a try.

The intro goes... "In the mountain lands of the North, the strongest tribes struggle for survival and hegemony. Who will stand the test of time?"

=== CIVILIZATIONS ===

• Denmark (Industrious, Expansionistic, Agricultural)
  • Faroe Islands (Industrious, Commercial, Agricultural)
  • Finland (Industrious, Scientific, Agricultural)
  • Iceland (Industrious, Commercial, Seafaring)
  • Norway (Militaristic, Commercial, Seafaring)
  • Sweden (Industrious, Scientific, Commercial)
  • + Æsir (Militaristic, Industrious, Religious) - One city only, AI only
=== POLITICS ===

• Denmark is allied with the Faroe Islands
  • Norway is allied with Iceland
  • Sweden and Finland are at war with each other.
=== MAP ===

• Tiny size (60x60)
  • Lots of ice, mountains, and forests (fjord-like)
  • Plague is allowed
  • Cities retain culture on capture
  • Restless barbarians

Attachments

• Ragnarok_01.jpg
    Ragnarok_01.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Ragnarok_02.jpg
    Ragnarok_02.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Ragnarok v1.0b.zip
    27.2 KB · Views: 160
Just to make things crystal-clear (and to avoid disappointments) - these North European Civs are not really much different from each other. What I have done was replicating the Scandinavian Civ, tweaking the team colors, preparing new city names list etc.

I would very much like to create a proper mod/scenario on a map of Scandinavia covering an interesting span of time to see these countries fight each other making use of different unique units... but it simply is beyond my talents alone. My skills are much more with Googling and editing text than with graphics or programming.

Unless of course, anybody liked the idea so much to be willing to help... ;)

Here is a quck map I did up containing the relevant terrain. I did not include the British isles or most of Continental Europe. I placed cities according to a modern map, but did not give them anything to start with. There are no resources placed yet, but the map itself is fairly accurate. Unfortunately, I do not what the Aesir are, so could not place them.

Attachments

• Ragnarok map cities.rar
    24.4 KB · Views: 126
I would very much like to create a proper mod/scenario on a map of Scandinavia covering an interesting span of time to see these countries fight each other making use of different unique units... but it simply is beyond my talents alone. My skills are much more with Googling and editing text than with graphics or programming.

Unless of course, anybody liked the idea so much to be willing to help... ;)

Hi LF, I would be willing to help. I've had a scenario a bit like this kicking around my computer for years. Here's some screenies to check to see if you're interested.

The current status of this project is incomplete but large parts of it are finalised. Era 3 needs to be worked out and I was going to go one of two ways: historical with Christianisation or fantasy with Ragnarok :)

Attachments

• Land of the Vikings Map.jpg
    Land of the Vikings Map.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Land of the Vikings Units.png
    Land of the Vikings Units.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Land of the Vikings Era 1.png
    Land of the Vikings Era 1.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Land of the Vikings Era 2.png
    Land of the Vikings Era 2.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 126
Hi LF, I would be willing to help. I've had a scenario a bit like this kicking around my computer for years.
Would that be the Going Viking scen? :)

Would that be the Going Viking scen? :)

It is, sort of. I've never been very satisfied with the GV scenarios and so it's been tweaked on and off for years but remained on my puter. I've developed the scenario a lot further with a better tech tree, improvements and wonders and of course there's been heaps of units from Mr Sandris that I didn't have before and excellent new leaderheads. Also, the map on this one is different but I have been developing a map-free, i.e. random version too.

Hi LF, I would be willing to help.

Yeeeaaaaahhhh!!!

So, now that this is settled, how does a modding-noob get started? ;)

The current status of this project is incomplete but large parts of it are finalised. Era 3 needs to be worked out and I was going to go one of two ways: historical with Christianisation or fantasy with Ragnarok :)

I can feel your inner struggle. I myself wouldn't really know what to pick.

Ideally, I was thinking about trying and develop some kind of separated tech tree for the "Æsir" (gods) civ and a trigger that would have Ragnarok take place at some point in the future, which would obviously involve them (together with all other civs). Perhaps a workable compromise? :p

Here is a quick map I did up containing the relevant terrain. I did not include the British isles or most of Continental Europe. I placed cities according to a modern map, but did not give them anything to start with. There are no resources placed yet, but the map itself is fairly accurate. Unfortunately, I do not what the Aesir are, so could not place them.

Thank you for the map, Tiger, going to check it out right away.

As for the Æsir, they are the Norse gods... you know, Odin, Frigg, Thor & their friends. They are supposed to live in the city/country (hence my choice to make of it a city-state) of Asgard. This is supposedly located on the highest level of the Norse universe, so if you wish to include them, it may be representable as a city in between mountains, somewhere "remote" yet with access to a number of resources.

Or at least that's what I have been thinking about. :)

Yeeeaaaaahhhh!!!
So, now that this is settled, how does a modding-noob get started? ;)

I can feel your inner struggle. I myself wouldn't really know what to pick.

Ideally, I was thinking about trying and develop some kind of separated tech tree for the "Æsir" (gods) civ and a trigger that would have Ragnarok take place at some point in the future, which would obviously involve them (together with all other civs). Perhaps a workable compromise? :p

PM me and I'll send you my email address so we can discuss further. I'll upload my scenario somewhere for you to download and play around with.

I wasn't going to go down the road of a separate tech tree as my "god" civ was going to be unplayable and I would pace the appearance of their units along the same tech path as the player (it makes it easier to balance the gameplay this way).

I added 2 civs to my historic ones: Niflheim (ruled by Hel) and the Dvergar (Dwarves who possess a high value tech that can be traded for and also control some special resources). I have the Dvergar and Niflheim civs separated from everyone else by mountains (set as impassable to wheeled). Only certain player units can pass the mountains (special hero units which appear later: Einherjar & Valkyries). Another reason for the separation is so I can enable a Locked war between Niflheim and the human player civs that will ensure that Niflheim carries out attacks when I need it to.
Niflheim can also conduct "spy and espionage" missions using Vittra which will be their only means of menace during eras 1 and 2.

Niflheim is right at the top of the map and has a line of coast terrain that runs across the entire map - however at the ends of these channels are impassable (to wheeled) ocean tiles. This allows Niflheim to send out krakens and the like but prevents the player from sending things like longboats to attack their city. My trigger for Ragnarok was Era 3 at which point all Hel breaks loose :): Trolls, Giant Snow Wolves,

Jotunn etc. A few other surprises are sprinkled around the map too:
Spoiler :
Grendel, Gargantua, Dragons, Troll dens, kobolds, sea serpents

PM me and I'll send you my email address so we can discuss further.

Will do that right away... or as soon as I can manage it. Just trying to find out where the PM icon is... new to the forum, and have not used any forums in a decade, lol.

Those colours make the type nearly invisible…

Yeah, well… I was beta-testing one of Vuldacon's scens and was in tester-finding-glitches-and-oddities mode :blush:

You are right about the colours Tak. It's from georgestow's British Adviser pack and I was testing it out to see how it looked.

Top Bottom