Railroads and troops movement

IsabelBraganca

Warlord
It's not the first time a railway district has been suggested as a substitution of the painstaking building them with military engineers. I don't think automatic constructing railroads are good. I tried to flesh out my ideas. I may edit this post with suggestions and corrections. Naming was very hard. I have no clue if they are clear.

My idea is to make the railway track a kind of the resource. You will accumulate overtime and then be able to build railroads. You could select one tile at time or a suggested path. It would be nice if you had a building stack, and the planned railroads be shown on the map (it could be a lens).

City Center

Every city center can have two tracks connecting to it.
Building: Junction station - increases the number of tracks to 4

Railway District
Requirements:
adjacent to a city center. At least one will be needed to build railroads.
Project: Rail tracks production
Wields: 1 production + 1 rail track

Buildings:
  • Motive Power depot - 25% cost reduction new tracks within 9 tiles - 50% cost reduction repair tracks within 9 tiles - 1 production + 1 rail track
  • Freight Terminal - +1 gold for each trade route going through- 1 production - 1 rail track
  • Central Station - unlimited tracks connections - 2 gold/turn - 1 housing - 20% of the tourism within 6 tiles as gold for each civilization connected through rail.

Movement Costs

How fast a unit travels through the rail will depend on the railway speed, not the unit movement. A fast unit might go faster through a good road than a slow rail. A unit will embark in a city center and disembark in another x turns latter. In case of military units, it might include the encampment of the city.

A unit can only move to a city center, if this city center has a continuous railway track to a railway district. Pillaging railway tracks may disrupt troops movements of the enemy. Enemy units will not be able to use the railway; only the roads.

Industrial Era Tracks - 8 tiles / turn
Modern Era Tracks - 12 tiles / turn
Atomic Era Tracks - 20 tiles /turn - the fast tracks can only connect two city centers with a Central Station. The upgrade of older tracks will cost 50% off the original cost. In case of tunnels and bridges, the upgrade cost will be 0.5 track per tile.

Rail Costs per tile
grassland/plains - 1 track
grassland hill/ plains hills / forest / rainforest / tundra - 1.5 track
snow/snow hill - 2 tracks
tunnel mountain - 15 tracks
bridge - 15 tracks (1 tile) - 35 tracks (2 tiles - modern era)
underwater tunnel - 20 tracks (atomic era - up to 4 tiles)

Units Housing

Units may be housed in encampment/harbors. They will heal faster while housed but they will get harmed in case the district is bombard or taken by the enemy. It the district is taken, they will suffer 50% damage and will be teleported to nearby tiles. The number of the units housed will depends on the buildings.

Units Formation

Units my travel in groups (up to 6) faster by road. Every formation will have one or two duty guard units that will protect the formation in case of attack. The second guard unit will be possible if there is a great general in range. In case of two duty guard units, one must be melee, anti-cavalry, or cavalry, and the other ranged or siege.

If the formation is ambushed (similar to a city siege), the units will not be able to heal. Archers and crossbows will deal a greater damage to one the guard units (randomly chosen).

Siege units, machine guns, airplanes will deal damage to multiple units of the formation (they are close together), 2-4. If the sentinel unit is changed, it will be able to attack only next turn, the same is true for any unit that leaves the formation. Enemy melee/cavalry unit will attack the melee/anti-cavalry, cavalry sentinel first.

Air-support

Helicopters may stay over units or formations.
Fighters may watch over formations, attacking enemy units within two tiles. It will do so, as long its base is in range.

Armored Transport Vehicle

The vehicle will transport a number of units inside fast. Its armor will have the same function of walls, protecting the units inside. The vehicle may have a ranged attack and allow one unit fire from inside. If the armor is destroyed, the units are in formation and may be ambushed.

Top Bottom