Railroads production bonus questions

zarnivop

Chieftain
Scenario I. The capital is in one continent, and city A is on another. Will I get any bonus from connecting A to any other city on its continent? Does Harbor affects this?

Scenario II: (assuming the answer to the previious was "yes"): City B is inland on the same continent as A. Will it get the bonus if I connect it to A?

:scan:

Scenario I. The capital is in one continent, and city A is on another. Will I get any bonus from connecting A to any other city on its continent? Does Harbor affects this?

Scenario II: (assuming the answer to the previious was "yes"): City B is inland on the same continent as A. Will it get the bonus if I connect it to A?

:scan:

Yes, and Yes.

Harbors facilitate railroad bonus.

Just for clarification and maybe some of the experienced players can help: I believe that their needs to be a railway connection from the capital to a coastal city on the original continent (let's call this harbour city D).

So, D is connected by rail to the capital. Your city A is connected by harbour to D and receives the railway bonus. Your inland city on the second continent then needs a railway connection to A to get the bonus.

It is my understanding this is how it works. Would anyone care to confirm or explain that this is not correct? (In effect there does need to be at least one rail connection).

Yes, that is how it works. Any combination of railroad and harbor connections will work, but any regular road connection that is required to connect one city to another will deny that other city (and any "subsequent" cities in the chain) the RR bonus.

So, if your chain of "required" city connections (the connections necessary to connect the cities) looks like this:

Capital <RR> City A <harbor> City B <RR> City C <regular road> City D <RR> City E

Cities A, B and C will get the RR bonus, but Cities D and E will not. If the connection between your capital and City A was just a regular road, none of these cities would get the RR bonus.

Note that your capital never gets the RR bonus.

Thanks Browd. Again for clarification (in your example) if city D had a harbour (on the same continent or not) it and City E would also receive the RR bonus?

Thanks Browd. Again for clarification (in your example) if city D had a harbour (on the same continent or not) it and City E would also receive the RR bonus?

Yes, as long as the two harbors can form a city connection by a sea route (e.g., no intervening ice blocking a city connection, neither harbor is on an inland sea with the other on the open ocean, etc.). The fact that City D might have a regular road connection (making a city connection, but not providing the RR bonus) does not "disqualify" it from getting the RR bonus if it also has a harbor connection to the capital (or also a RR connection through another round-about route).

Does the capital itself get the bonus?

Sadly, no.

Top Bottom