Railroads: what do they actually do?!

eldar

ChiefTank
When constructing a railroad, it says something about "advanced resources", or the like.

What does this mean? There's not even a section on railroads (the improvement, not the tech) in the Civilopedia. Same for the manual.

So, er, what gives?

Well, I don't know about advanced resources, but I do know that railroads increase movement rate of units to 10 movement points across railroaded tiles.

Also, I think that it's 10 mp regardless of the mp of the unit... in other words, roads effectively multiplies the movement points of the unit, but a railroad gives a standard 10 mp to all units... which, if you think about it, makes good sense since why would the horses and riders of cavalry get somewhere faster in a train than boxcars full of men instead ;)

Also railroad improve the hammer production of lumbermills and mines. That I know for sure. Other than that, I have yet to find out.

I'm still feeling my way across the tech tree.

For a start, it took me 2 1/2 games to work out which tech increases road movement from 1/2 to 1/3 (it's Engineering, btw).

It's not entirely clear if RRs give 1/10 movement, or strict 10mps/turn for any unit. I wasn't really taking any notice when I was whizzing units round on go-to orders.

Reason I'm asking? In CivIII, I religiously MM my railroading, to prioritize my main cities (esp. a 20K city), and get a trade route going. Now, if RRs do increase some tile yield in Civ4, I'd like to know which ones, so I can prioritize them. Right now, I'm just gathering all my workers in teams and setting them off on automate-trade-network missions.

railroad aside from the 10 movement rate, also gives +1 hammer to lumbermill and mines, thats all it does. no more extra food or commerce with railroad now.

Like stated in above it only gives you +1 hammer if you build on lumbermill or mine.

I think it should give +1 commerce if you build on the town, railroads are most import to increase commerce. IMO

Madryoch said:
Remember back in previous Civs putting railroads on your workable tiles significantly boosted shield and food output on those tiles? Is this no longer the case?

This isn't the case any more. As has been stated, railroad bonuses have been tuned down significantly.

to be fair its more realistic, how could railroads improve food production more than roads? aprt from quicker supply of ood which shouldn't impact that much really and if you give a bonus for railroad than you should get a health bonus for airports as you can bring in differnet types of fresh food

lachiendupape said:
to be fair its more realistic, how could railroads improve food production more than roads? aprt from quicker supply of ood which shouldn't impact that much really and if you give a bonus for railroad than you should get a health bonus for airports as you can bring in differnet types of fresh food
And we actually lose health for airports.

nattivillin said:
WE DO? is that in the manual?

we do, and it's in the Sid Tip in the mouseover popup for the airport

Also says it on the mouse-over text if you're about to build it or queue it up.

Always a good amount of pollution from Airports.

nattivillin said:
WE DO? is that in the manual?

Top Bottom