1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Railroads worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Another is it worth it thread. :)

I haven't been using them a whole lot, I still don't build encampments some games, but I did railroad my entire empire in my Egypt game to give me something to do while waiting for science victory. I had a large empire and lots of resources.

I had to rush buy 4 engineers to get it done before the end of the game which is over 4000 gold, so clearly they weren't worth it in that particular game. But I had a large empire. I will say railroading is too slow if you can reach a planet outside our solar system before all your cities are connected by railroads. :lol:

My gold per trade route did go up, not sure by how much. I figure if it's at least 5 gold times 10 trade routes (an average) that's 50 gold a turn and will take 21 or so turns to recoup the cost of 1 engineer (epic speed). But of course 1 engineer is too slow to railroad your entire empire.

I find often with smaller empires I really can't spare the resources. The movement bonus should be higher as well in my opinion.

Your thoughts on the usefulness of railroads?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you have a high production civ or are England their cost is not too much and you can always faith buy them.
    The speed can be very useful for anti barb, it’s just there does not seem to be many late barb camps currently.
    I find it weird that they encourage global warming to teach us all a lesson amd yet make engineers so expensive.

3. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

I find them useful for moving troops to important points quickly. They are handy in getting troops that you just built to the front line or to whatever city the AI likes spamming with partisans. With that said, i can live without them. With how poorly climate change is balanced, i try to avoid doing anything that might make it hit too early before i can get computers and flood barriers built. after that, i dont mind spamming them everywhere. IDK how much more money you make off of them, but it doesn't hurt.

4. Arilian

Arilian King

For a big empire I always build an east west road. It is even useful for Great persons, to reach the museums faster.
    But more important for conquest games.

5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

You are aware great persons can insta travel between city centers?

Chocolate Pi and Elhoim like this.
  6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I thought the same thing when I read this post. :)

Back on topic, I wish there was a way to do mass transit without polluting the environment like crazy. I can't not have railroads, I will build them every game, but once you have railroads, it's practically impossible to cut down on CO2 emissions.

7. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Define worth it. Railroads do help with unit movement and trade route gold but they aren't necessary to win at all. I haven't built them in the majority of my games as they are really tedious to build.

8. Arilian

Arilian King

I new Great admirals can, but I tough this is because they can stuck in a lake, so no I did not :)

9. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I haven't bothered since the first time I made a railroad just to test it out.

10. Arent11

Arent11 King

Ah, yes, railroads. The backbone of industrialization & one of the decisive factors in wars during that time. Already connecting a mine or farm with a railroad should raise its production & food. Building railroads to an industrial, commercial or harbor district should severely raise its yield. Connecting city centers should raise tourism. The list is endless.

11. Kruos

Kruos Warlord

Fully agreed. It's a big missed opportunity. My hope is that, considering all the changes bringed by GS, devs wanted to give themselves some time to measure the balance and get a feeling before puting everything in shape.

Delvi and Phoenix1595 like this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

In my experience, the trade route yield increase isn't as good as with sea routes. And since I am mostly playing peacefully in the late game, unit speed does not greatly appeal to me.

In fact, one instance I was at war and the railroad bit me in the butt. An enemy cavalry unit rode my rails deep into my home territory and started pillaging.

I wish there was some kind of intrinsic benefit to having a city connected by rail.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yes, this is one of my complaints too. Why can't I just set a military engineer to auto-improve all of my roads into railroads? Why do I have to move them all from tile to tile to improve the road to railroad?

14. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

They could even use the same system as traders but then only from A to B once.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    bonafide11 likes this.
  15. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

The worst thing is that railroads don't look that different from roads especially on tiles with a bunch of stuff already on them so it's really easy to miss a tile if you aren't paying attention.

And the worst worst thing is that you have to also improve tiles which a city center is on. :twitch:

bonafide11 likes this.
  16. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

Same. I have completed about 15 GS games now and found no real need for them. In my last game I did build a short railroad from my Liang city to my Spaceport city to get the builders there a little quicker to rush the space projects but that was more out of boredom.

17. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

One of the notable let downs of GS.

RR speeds up the climate change but gives nearly zero benefits of the Industrial Revolution in exchange. Increased mobility is nice and would be vital, but at the point railroad comes now, it is almost no longer needed or not very crucial. And if you're lucky with the mountain ranges, tunnel portal technology will beat railroads any day. No ship can go on rails yet :)
    With the current UI it is rather difficult to judge potential benefits to the trade routes.

Railroads require Encampment, Barracks/Stable, Armoury and at least one Military Engineer - a considerable amount of production/gold which is almost guaranteed to have much better use elsewhere. I've built them in my first game to see what they were about, and they were about being mostly useless :(

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Once again, Railroads appear to be one of those Things that everybody missed from previous games or thought should be included in a game that supposedly recreates the last 200 years of history, but it never occurred to the Firaxis Design Team to think about how and why to include them. I'd have to assume, from the implementation, that they have never even read any recent history of the United States, Prussia/Germany, the American Civil War, World War Two, World War One, or talked to any half-knowledgeable Model Railroader (who, admittedly, will be a little biased on the topic).

When it came to impacting people's lives and countries' development, railroads were the most important factor and consequence of the Industrial Revolution. Period. Every Civilization that existed after 1850 could be defined by how well it was served by railroads. Those that had poor railroad networks were, quite simply, no longer Great Powers and had no hope of becoming powerful ever again until they got access to the stupendous increase in speed and quantity of traffic available with railroads. The fact that sheer quantity of tonnage of freight hauled is now with highway trucking does not change the fact that to this day the railroad is the only way to feed raw materials to industry over land: if you have 10,000 tons of iron or aluminum ore or coal to move over land, 1 train or 250+ trucks can do it. And the train can do it faster.

Instead, we get a slightly-improved road that is tedious to build and provides only incremental increase in wealth and no change in population movement. Lame doesn't begin to describe it: Railroads in GS/Civ VI are a Quadriplegic Game Mechanism. For me they are even more poorly thought out than Emergencies or Diplomacy or the World Congress, and that's heavy competition for Incompetent Game Design.

19. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

I don't build railroads, one big reason is because I believe they contribute to global warming. I built railroads in one game, and while I barely had military units and I didn't build factories, I had a HUGE carbon footprint, and railroads do use resources when you build them, so ...

Also they're ugly. Because your traders build roads everywhere, when you build railroads now you've got all sorts of branching out to your regular roads, and I just don't like how that looks. I wish your rails were straight and overlaid over your traditional roads or something, but just ugh ...

I also just don't see much benefit, I'd rather use airports if I need to move someone across my empire quickly.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I built one from my capital out to the closest seaport where all of the international trade routes were departing from.