Railroads

EmperorFool

Deity
I've just found this mod, and it's really beautiful! I've just researched Railroads and started hooking up my cities, but I see they work differently from vanilla.

According to what I can grok from the Civilopedia, the production bonus requires a Train Station and a railroad connection to the capital. That connection does not transfer over water, even with a Harbor. Coastal cities on separate continents can get it with a Seaport, but inland cities on other continents have no way to get either bonus. Is that italicized bit correct?

What I cannot find is information on what effect they have on units. From what I can tell in-game, they don't provide any movement increase beyond normal roads. Is that really correct?

I've just found this mod, and it's really beautiful! I've just researched Railroads and started hooking up my cities, but I see they work differently from vanilla.

According to what I can grok from the Civilopedia, the production bonus requires a Train Station and a railroad connection to the capital. That connection does not transfer over water, even with a Harbor. Coastal cities on separate continents can get it with a Seaport, but inland cities on other continents have no way to get either bonus. Is that italicized bit correct?
If it works the way you describe (and I don't know if it does because I don't play enough maps with big enough islands that I'd consider settling non-coastal cities) then it is probably a bug. A railroad from your capital to a city with a harbor and a railroad from a different city with a harbor towards an inland city should give the inland city the ability to build a trainstation.

What I cannot find is information on what effect they have on units. From what I can tell in-game, they don't provide any movement increase beyond normal roads. Is that really correct?
I think they are actually slightly slower, at least that's what someone said during an earlier discussion. They do get bonuses and turn out faster eventually however.

Are you saying that you are building railroads to cities linked via water and it is not allowing you to build a trainstation, or are you theorizing it? Because it is theoretically possible - whether or not it is 'working,' however, may be in flux. It should, but that's a soft rule around here.

G

Are you saying that you are building railroads to cities linked via water and it is not allowing you to build a trainstation, or are you theorizing it?

Sorry, my main question was about how they affect movement. The first part was based solely on my reading of the Civilopedia which needs an update given that it makes it sound like railroads are entirely useless for other continents. I will reply here once my game progresses further and I acquire an inland city.

I settled three cities on a separate content and connected them (in a line) by railroads because I was expecting a fight. Only later did I learn about the need for a separate Train Station building and Seaport. I figured they'd all get the production bonus as soon as the first one completed its Harbor, but that's obviously not the case.

But you're saying—now that I have those cities and railroads—I can connect any inland cities to the same network with railroads and be able to build the Train Station in them? And those initial railroad tiles are really just a drain on my finances since they aren't needed for Seaports.

So my next question is this: Can I replace railroads with roads without having to first remove the railroad, disconnecting all downline cities?

Sorry, my main question was about how they affect movement. The first part was based solely on my reading of the Civilopedia which needs an update given that it makes it sound like railroads are entirely useless for other continents. I will reply here once my game progresses further and I acquire an inland city.

I settled three cities on a separate content and connected them (in a line) by railroads because I was expecting a fight. Only later did I learn about the need for a separate Train Station building and Seaport. I figured they'd all get the production bonus as soon as the first one completed its Harbor, but that's obviously not the case.

But you're saying—now that I have those cities and railroads—I can connect any inland cities to the same network with railroads and be able to build the Train Station in them? And those initial railroad tiles are really just a drain on my finances since they aren't needed for Seaports.

So my next question is this: Can I replace railroads with roads without having to first remove the railroad, disconnecting all downline cities?

The movement buff for railroads is not immediate, but it is steep (combined arms IIRC). You need the railroad connection across the board to really take advantage of the train stations and whatnot. Theoretically you could build it all and then tear down the railroads, but the production investment is dubious. You want railroads between all cities, as not only do they allow for trains/seaports, they also buff villages/towns and increase movement speed quite a bit.

G

Thanks. I asked about removing them because when I got DoW'd I went from +300:gold:/turn to -30:gold:/turn. If the speed increase is going to come along next era, I could remove some to save some cash. Turns out having 7 out of 8 trade routes with one player isn't such a good idea. ;)

Top Bottom