Railways?

footslogger

Warlord
I can't see any reference to railways in Marbozir's guide to the tech and civic trees. Do we have any info yet from any of the videos about how railways are unlocked and function in Civ6?

Our current info is:
There are no railroads.

We've seen it before in older versions. We've also seen tooltips concerning modern roads, industrial roads etc. They've all gone in the YouTuber version.
I haven't payed attention to roads enough in the LPs to see if they upgrade automatically at some point and when that point is. I would have guessed it is in the tooltips though.

Edit: roads automatically upgrade once you research the first tech of a new era. That's why there is no tooltip. Not sure how railroads come into this. Maybe they are gone or maybe they are just a road upgrade at some point.

Last edited:
My understanding is there is a number of road upgrades; however, I was hoping railroads would be one of them. If nothing else they should be in the game since railroads have been in every Civ game since the beginning and they were a major part of history. It would be sad to lose them.

The Steam Power tech has a image of a locomotive; however, it enables the Ironclad and gives embarked units extra movement however there is no reference to railroads. :(
http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Steam_Power_(Civ6)

How... odd. Railways were a bit boring in Civ5 but I have fond memories of the infinite movements they gave back in the day.

Well if they have a version of roads each few eras....

Ancient (1 mp all terrain)
Medieval (with bridges)
Industrial (railroad graphics...0.75 MP per tile)?0.5 mp with coal?
Atomic (highway graphics...0.5 MP per tile)?0.25 mp with oil?

Last edited:
Maybe railroads are being saved for an expansion. What if we can own different rail companies... *dun, dun, dun*

Well if they have a version of roads each few eras....

Ancient (1 mp all terrain)
Medieval (with bridges)
Industrial (railroad graphics...0.75 MP per tile)?0.5 mp with coal?
Atomic (highway graphics...0.5 MP per tile)?0.25 mp with oil?
Where is this info coming from?

I like the idea of strategic resources making movement quicker (but haven't seen anything like that before, so maybe this post is just a fantasy idea?)

Well, roads are made by trade convoys in Civ VI right? They turn intro trucks, not trains, so it'd make sense that there's no railroads. In Civ V there were invisible trains that generated gold and production for each city.

Maybe railroads are being saved for an expansion. What if we can own different rail companies... *dun, dun, dun*

I'd actually like that. It would make sense, especially if you could establish routes between major cities/areas.

Also, first post since the move!

My understanding is there is a number of road upgrades; however, I was hoping railroads would be one of them. If nothing else they should be in the game since railroads have been in every Civ game since the beginning and they were a major part of history. It would be sad to lose them.

Same here, railroads are too important in history to be ignored. My guess is, railroads are separated from the road upgrades, and have to be built manually (via engeener or builder?) due to their strategic use.
On the tech tree displayed on Arioch's site there is a railroad icon at Steam power. It seems it has been removed since.

There's no place for Railroads in the current mechanics. Routes are built with Traders and upgrade with time. Additional Roads could be built with Military Engineers, but they are 1 Charge/Tile, so it's very expensive. There's no niche for Railroads as either another type of route or something built manually.

However, there's always room for new game mechanics in expansions, but it's too early to tell as developers need to get objective feedback first.

From a historic perspective, railroads play a vital role in strategy (especially during times of war).

More importantly, with the exception of maybe the US, most European nations did not possess significant quantities of hard surfaced roads pre 1940s with horse transport still dominating.

As a comparison, look at any strategic board-game map and you will typically see railroads shown more frequently than roads and acting as strategic conduits of activity.

I agree that considering the new implementation of roads, pre-Civ6 railroads would be rather redundant.

Functionally speaking, industrial/modern roads are likely to provide similar movement bonuses.

Are industrial era roads intended to be railroads?

That would make the most sense

The pinnacle of pre-industrial roads was the roman empire roads which were paved, had drainage systems built in and bridges to cross rivers or steep valleys.
I suppose these are represented by medieval roads.

Until the motorcar there was no need to evolve past this point.... The exception was in cities that obviously had more cobbled streets - likely for hygiene and cleanliness.

In the middle east roads and wagons actually disappeared after the end of the classical civilisation - the camel took over.

http://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/197303/why.they.lost.the.wheel.htm

Read this article its quite fascinating.

ancient roads - trade route tracks
medieval roads - military engineers
industrial roads - railways
modern roads - highways

That makes the most sense

I could see rails as a means to further spread amenities during the late game. You know, to represent shipping.

Our current info is:
There are no railroads.

We've seen it before in older versions. We've also seen tooltips concerning modern roads, industrial roads etc. They've all gone in the YouTuber version.
I haven't payed attention to roads enough in the LPs to see if they upgrade automatically at some point and when that point is. I would have guessed it is in the tooltips though.

Edit: roads automatically upgrade once you research the first tech of a new era. That's why there is no tooltip. Not sure how railroads come into this. Maybe they are gone or maybe they are just a road upgrade at some point.

That would be funny in game.
If the railway traveling US conquer the Native American city of Dakota all native paths hocus-pocus become automatic railways. But when the still non snorting steamhorse ridding Native reconquer the same city back, all railways fly into air and away. Is there an animation or wonder-movie for this:popcorn:

I'm kind of sad road building is automatic, because I found it quite satisfying connecting my cities. More so with rails. The loss of the worker is really starting to sink in.

Top Bottom