1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise your hand if you have harvested when you meant to improve

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Big J Money, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Big J Money

Big J Money Chieftain

That button looks so much like a farming button that I've already clicked it when I meant to place a farm or pasture. Haha. Well, hopefully I will get accustomed to this, soon. My poor 2nd city.

2. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Never. But to me that would qualify for a reload! ;)

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The two buttons are located on different toolbars, so you have to be pretty determined to select the wrong one.

ales_ likes this.
  4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Yeah, I'd probably reload too if that happened to me. Thankfully I didn't make that mistake yet, as Browd correctly said, it's two different toolbars, I grew accustomed to it immediately. The buttons do look pretty similar though.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

I could see it happening the first time or two playing, but they are quite separate. I would say this one qualifies under poor UI design though, especially considering that it's a pretty poor choice tactically in most circumstances (from what I can tell). They should probably hide it away a bit like selling a unit.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. OTiger

OTiger Chieftain

Speaking of that, though, when should you harvest or make an improvement instead?

7. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Chieftain

It happened to me once in my first gameplay. I was not aware it meant harvest, I thought it was a fast shortcut to farm.

8. Browd

That's something you have to decide based on the map and your goals. The only reasonably clear case is where you want to put a district or wonder on a tile with a bonus resource (cows, stone, wheat, etc) or a terrain feature (like forest, jungle or marsh). In that case, you should harvest the resource and bulldoze the terrain feature before planting the district or wonder, else you lose the ongoing yield but do not receive the harvest/bulldoze bonus.

nzcamel likes this.
  9. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Does harvesting cost a charge? If so, is it worth it?

10. Browd

It does. Whether it's worth it is something you have to decide for yourself. See the discussion in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  11. Big J Money

Big J Money Chieftain

Yeah this is by no means a big problem or really even a problem. I just want to know how many other civ vets made this mistake ;)

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Acrtic

Acrtic Chieftain

Usually updraging a tile is better, but its good if you want to rush a unit. I found it useful when I wanted to just get rid of my builder before it was about to get stolen by a barbarian horseman.

13. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Chieftain

yep, I did it.
    Thank Autosave for autosave!

The way workers have a completely separate toolbar does seem rather counter-intuitive.

14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I dont think you linked the right thread.:confused:

Moderator Action: Thanks. Link fixed (both in the original post and in your quote) to point to the right thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

If you're going to put a wonder or district on the spot it probably is.

16. code99

code99 Chieftain

I did that a couple of times but now that i got used to the not so briliant ui, i dont do it that often :)

17. isau

isau Warlord

Whether to harvest or not is often a difficult decision. The thing about Harvesting is that it can give you immediate benefits and sometimes that is actually a better payout than waiting. Here's what I mean:

Let's say a Harvest gives you 2 extra population right away. That translates to 2 extra citizens working tiles. That's worth it if you've got a bunch of high value tiles nearby that aren't being worked. That would take a long time to even start working on the resource you just harvested. So the early payout option is better.

Often I will Harvest if I find a spot with like 3 or 4 copies of a resource. Wheat for example. Usually I Harvest whichever copy is next to a mountain. It's not always a good deal, but often works out. Jump starting the city makes it more able to build Districts, pop out units, and pop out more Builders.

18. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

I was wondering what the harvest option was about. I saw "harvest fish" as being unlocked somewhere, and I was like, "ain't I already doing that"?

19. valamas

valamas Chieftain

I accidentally harvested. Only noticed early game. Where was my improved tile? Why does my builder have only 2 charges.

I must have been distracted.

Now I am paranoid using builder charges that I don't do it again only to notice later in the game.

I don't like where the harvest button is. It should be in the builder mini icon list at the bottom or with the delete unit icon.

20. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Chieftain

Yep, it's a bit inconsistent
    • Deleting a unit (irreversible, but largely recoverable) has a confirmation dialog
    • Deleting a tile's resource (irreversible and unrecoverable) has no confirmation dialog

valamas likes this.