Raliuven SG1

Raliuven

Emperor
This is my first SG, since I have PTW only and can't join in the C3C fun :(. Considered buying it off Steam etc. but I want the CD. Only saw one on E-bay recently. What to do?

Well, I am suggesting a PTW game. It is my first so I'd like to discuss setting. I am envisioning no variant rules.

GAME RULES:
Map: Random (Take what we get!)
Opponents: random
Rules: Standard, all standard single player victories enabled.
Barbarians: Raging
Level: Emperor
Version: Fully patched, I forget the last patch? 1.27?
Exploits: GOTM Rules. ROP abuse questionable?

ROSTER:
-Raliuven
-Elephantium
-TheOverseer714
-CKS
-creamcheese

In the first round each player plays 20 turns, then 10 turns each round after that.

24hrs to post a "got it" notice, and up to 72hrs after that to finish and post your turns.

Map and Civ are open to discussion. I am a builder, so I thought a quick domination or conquest game would be nice.

A list I made of Civs I haven't used in the past that I would like to try are:
Arabs, Carthaginians, Babylonians, Germans. These are not set in stone, just a discussion starter.

I hope there is some interest in a PTW SG! I'm a little lonely! I set it for a 5-player roster which seems to work good in other SGs, but I'll adjust based on interest.

A quick scan on Ebay finds Civ3 complete for 5.00 and 8.88 that includes all three versions and patched.

I'll join, contingent on three more players signing up :)

Map: Take whatever start the game gives you!
Opponents: I prefer Random.
Rules: Sounds good.
Barbarians: Any level is fine.
Level: I'd prefer Emperor.
Exploits: GOTM rules are generally a good baseline

It will be great to play with you sir, assuming the game gets off the ground. Thanks for being the first! I updated the OP with info.

@vmxa - thanks for the leads. I'lll take another look!

lurker's comment: I'll be lurking.:hide: I don't have time for another SG right now. Good Luck! :goodjob:

A quick scan on Ebay finds Civ3 complete for 5.00 and 8.88 that includes all three versions and patched.

The cheapest I found it was for $9.80 including shiping - from the UK no less. Now sure how that could be the cheapest. Won't arrive until July, though. Still plenty of time for a PTW SG, right?

Thanks for the lead. The last time I looked there was only 1 for bidding. Pickings were much better this time!

I will join, hopefully we can get a quorum to make it to the finish. i like using the Arabs, their traits are weak, but a good, fast UU.

Great - thanks for the responses! Perhaps PTW isn't quite dead yet!

Overseer & CKS - you are both very much welcome to join!

I have updated the original OP with some decisions that have been made thus far. Looks like it is the Arabs for a Civ. Let me know if there any final thoughts/changes otherwise I will go with what is posted above. I think 4 players are enough to start? We can rotate in a 5th or 6th if there are any takers.

I'm at work at the moment, so I'll generate our world when I get home this evening. I'll take the first 20 turns unless someone else really wants them. Otherwise the current roster will look like this (in order of posting interest):

ROSTER:
-Raliuven (Playing)
-Elephantium (On deck)
-TheOverseer714
-CKS

I'll check tonight before I start for any last minute changes to the settings or roster.

Thanks again for the interest!

P.S. I dislike unfinished games, so I hope to keep it moving along as well!

In the first round each player plays 20 turns, then 10 turns each round after that.
I would suggest only the first player play 20 turns, and then drop it down to 10 turns each. It just seems easier to make plans in 10 turns increments; I don't know why.

Just for grins, you might want add a slight variant to the rules. Don't build any Great Wonders, except by a SGL. Capture them, sure, but don't build them. It actually sounds harder than it is. I mean, if you're not building Wonders, then what are you building? Basic infrastructure, sure, but after that? Military units. Lots of military units. Lots and lots of military units, all veteran. Lots of :trouble: for the AI.

Have fun!

I have never played in a succession game before, but I would be interested in playing at least one turnset to give it a go, if that is okay with you. The Arabs sound like an interesting choice.

How about I put you in the Roster and if after you turn you decide it isn't for you, just let me know. You'll make a nice #5. I know that players drop out of SGs from time to time, I'd like to keep the Roster intact if I can, but realize that RL take over from time to time (how wrong is that?) :D

@CommandoBob - yeah, I struggled with that call. I'll leave it to the consensus if people think the 20 turn set to begin is too long when their turn is up.

I'm generating our world right now, so I'll post the first 20 turns in short order.

Well, this might be a really quick game. Playing it were it lays might be a tall order. I've never seen a map so devoid of bonus food sources.

Settings Selected
Size: Standard
Barbarians: Raging
Difficulty: Emperor
Civ: Arabia (Expansionist, Religious)
UU: Ansar Warrior (Knight replacement) 60 shields, Attack: 4, Defense: 2, Movement: 3. Requires Iron and Horses. Required Tech: Chivalry

Random settings: Landmass and Water, Climate, Temperature, Age.
Here is the spoiler with the resutls of the random settings.
Spoiler :
Land Mass and Water Coverage: Pangaea, highest water setting
Climate: Arid
Temperature Warm

This is our world!
Spoiler :

I played the first 18 turns and stopped because I have a question for the group.

Turn Log
Spoiler :
Turn 1 (4000 BC) - Well, I’ve seen worse starting locations. Lots of mountains. Spices directly to the north, lots of river tiles for income and 3 BG. Looks like jungle to the south. River setup could make movement difficult for a while. We’re also in the middle of the map.

I’ll admit I’m not the best at scouting, but my plan is to start to the west and then head north, depending on what I see.

Okay, gold won’t be much of a problem. Don’t see a better offer so found in place. Start a scout to make use of the expansionist trait. Looks like slow growth here so I move the worker to the BG to the E.

Set research to Alpha at max.

Turn 2 (3950BC) – Worker starts mine. Second scout will head east, Scout #1 to will investigate to the west. Looks like coast to the north. Move Scout #1 SW, W.

Turn 3 (3900 BC) – Scout NW, N.

Turn 4 (3850 BC) – Scout NE, N. See GH, coast.

Turn 5 (3800 BC) – Scout NE to GH. Gain map (yoohoo). Does reveal gems to the west, though. Land isn’t very promising.

IBT – American warrior comes into view but no contact is initiated.

Turn 6 (3750 BC) – Scout builds. Start granary. Scout #2 2E. American warrior came from the north, so I send Scout #1 W, SW.

Contact America – they are up masonry and we have nothing to offer. They don’t know anyone yet. They also have dyes connected already.

Turn 7 (3700 BC) – American warrior runs back up north. Scout #1 2W. Scout #2 2NE.

Turn 8 (3650 BC) – Mine complete, start road. Scout #1 SW, S. Spot incense. Scout #2 S, SE.

Turn 9 (3600 BC) – Scout #1 SW, S. Meet a Russian scout. Russia up BW & Alpha. Scout #2 E. Finally some bonus food sources!

Turn 10 (3550 BC) – Scout #1 SW, W. Scout #2 E, S.

Turn 11 (3500 BC) – Culture increase, population 2. Road complete. Lux to 10%. MM Citizen from clown to BG. Worker to BG. Scout #1 S. Scout #2 S.

Turn 12 (3450 BC) – Worker #1 mine. Scout #1 SW. Scout #2 E, S.

Turn 13 (3400 BC) – Scout #1 S. Scout #2 S, S. Spot GH.

Turn 14 (3350 BC) – French warrior steals my GH!

Contact Joan. We are up Pottery, they have Masonry and Alphabet. Joan will give us Alpha for Pottery and all her 10gp. Accept, even though she stole my GH. Contact America – they haven’t met Russia yet, but it won’t be long because their scouts/units are in the same area. Trade Alpha for Masonry and his 10gp. Contact Russia, trade masonry for BW and 5 of 10gp. Go back to Joan, we have BW and they have nothing to offer. We are current on techs with those we know.

Scout #1 sees Russian boarders to the S. Move 2S to confirm. Scout #2 2S.

IBT – Russia wants our scout out of her land. I agree. Just passing through Czarina. America Scout sneaks up on our capital.

Turn 15 (3300 BC) – Scout #1 NW, W. Scout #2 2S. Find the French and a field of spices. I forgot to set tech so we are researching WC. Switch to Writing. Dang. Sorry about that. Even at max it will take 40 turns.

Russia has WC now and Joan has BW. America is still down BW.

Computer crashes. Reload, replay 3300 BC.

IBT – American scout cuts to the west.

Turn 16 (3250 BC) – Scout #1 W. Scout #2 E. America now has BW.

Turn 17 (3200 BC) – Scout #1 W. Scout #2 2S Spot GH.

Turn 18 (3150 BC) – Worker #1 mine built, start road. Granary in 4, growth in 3. That won’t work. Move to forest to slow growth. Granary in 4, growth in 6.

Scout #1 SW, W. Scout #2, 2 SW to GH. Pop a settler. Boy will this be a long walk.

What to do with the free settler? I don't think it will make it back with raging barbarians. At this time I am praying for the Granary to build and we can build warriors between settlers. I also regret not scouting directly to the south, but it looks like it might be jungle?

Elephantium, if you want to pick up the game and finsh my last 2 turns that's okay with me. If I don't see a 'got it' after everyone chimes in I'll finish the turn set. Otherwise:

ROSTER:
-Raliuven (just played)
-Elephantium (Playing)
-TheOverseer714 (On Deck)
-CKS
-creamcheese

And the save.

Attachments

• Raliuven SG1 Turn 18 3150BC.SAV
    93.5 KB · Views: 239
I guess I see three options for the Settler.

1. Move him 4 tiles to the coast by the spices and the fish. It's really far away from the capital, but we're less likely to lose him to barbarians. Plus, it gives us control of those spices.
2. Move him 6N and settle next to the wheat. A city there might make a decent worker pump.
3. Move him the 14 tiles N as shown in the screenshot and pray he doesn't encounter any barbarians.

I favor 1 or 2.

I vote for the fish and spices, on the coastal plains tile, which is only 3 moves by my count.

I agree with CKS, the spices in our hands keeps them out of the other guys hands, letting us trade them. The Wheat and Cow should be settled from Mecca, which should only build that settler. The granary will be a waste, I recommend a barracks instead. I have a feeling we will be moving our capital eventually, anyway.

I agree with CKS, the spices in our hands keeps them out of the other guys hands, letting us trade them. The Wheat and Cow should be settled from Mecca, which should only build that settler. The granary will be a waste, I recommend a barracks instead. I have a feeling we will be moving our capital eventually, anyway.

Well my malfunction is that I am a builder. I am curious as to why you say the Granary is a waste? Does the group agree I should switch to a barracks? I can switch now for only a 4 shield waste.

I do regret not building at least 1 or 2 warriors first and scouting more to the south. I tend to use scouts to pick up early contacts when I should be checking the surrounding area more.

We won't need fast population growth in the capital -- we'll want the wheat-and-cows location to be a settler factory.

I have to admit, I don't understand how it'll take 6 more turns for the city to grow. Shouldn't it have been on track to hit size 3 on Turn 21?

The bright side of not making any warriors yet is that we don't have to worry about barbarians from GHs. For now.

Top Bottom