Raliuven SG3.5 Regent

Raliuven

Emperor
Okay, RSG3 is moving a little slow and I've got some time to fill as my story is coming to an end. XOTM is under control. I've been kicking around the idea of starting a Regent game in the hopes of attracting some new players that might otherwise not want to jump in at Emperor/Deity or play a varient such as Always War. It seems like the suggestion in the forum is to join a SG game to improve but there is never anything started at this level which may otherwise turn people off the idea. So here goes . . .

I do not intend for this to be training day game per se. I am not nearly good enough to suggest that. I can walk over emperor civs with a fair amount of ease and regularly win at deity. However we'll certainly talk tactics and optimization (not anything like the detail that Lanzelot is doing, though).

If I can find three-five interested players (in addition to myself) I will set up a game. Victory conditions will be: Conquest, Domination, Space or Diplomacy. I've nothing against culture or histograph, but they tend to take a long time with some boring end turns (but I may be convinced otherwise).

I set this for C3C becuase it seems to be the most popular version but I love PTW. Vanilla might be tough. :sad:

Map Stats:
C3C
Large
Pangaea
60% Water (least water setting)
Barbs: Roaming
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Warm

Civ: Babylon (Scientific/Religious)
11 Random Civs
Victories: All Allowed (except wonder), not culturally linked, preserve random seed, cultural conversions and scientific leaders allowed.
Aggression: Normal
Difficulty: Regent

Hmmm. Looks like we are alone. I'm going to let his float for a little while to see if it gains any traction. If not then maybe we'll change it to something else.

I might be tempted to try this if I can get C3C to install on this comp. I usually mod my game out of all recognition but a clean install would mean I could try.

I'll get right back to you.

sorry... can't get it to work properly. I will be a lurker though

I'll be glad to join in, if needed.

Do you have any Civ in mind? I would suggest Rome, but only because is seems like a comfortable/familiar civ, as opposed to Korea or Aztecs, and that might draw in some people not already on Regent.

I'll be glad to join in, if needed.

Do you have any Civ in mind? I would suggest Rome, but only because is seems like a comfortable/familiar civ, as opposed to Korea or Aztecs, and that might draw in some people not already on Regent.

That definately sounds like a good plan. I am also going to be selective on the starting location because I want either a starting point that can be used as a Settle Factory or a nearby location that can do it. So if anyone lurking is interested in how to make and run a SF, sign up and you'll get the 5-cent-tour. ;)

And we'll do a low barb setting? I tend to think that the higher the barbs at this level the better for the human, but I don't want to scare off anyone.

Map size: Standard? We could probably go a bit larger for regent but it should make for a realitivey quick (in terms of turns) game. Standard or Large we should have plenty of room to display farming techinques.

@Darksi - Sorry about the tech issues. Love to have you if things change.

There must be at least a few stuggling Regent players out there?!? Good chance to move up from Warlord or polish those Regent skills on the way to Monarch!

Current Roster:
Raliuven
Toxicman007
CommandoBob
????
????

I suggest posting in the general subjects forum as sort of an advertisement. Also, you might look for the "I'm new and not doing well" posts and kind of gently suggest joining an SG.

Map size: Standard? We could probably go a bit larger for regent but it should make for a realitivey quick (in terms of turns) game. Standard or Large we should have plenty of room to display farming techinques.
Just make sure it is large enough for everyone to have some Pointy-Stick/Front-Line time. :D

That was my biggest fear/concern when I jumped from Chieftain to Monarch: could I outfight the AI? Turns out I could, but I needed to prove that to myself.

Don't mind Regent or Rome. But to spice things up a bit, let's make the map 5 billion years old or something.

I might be interested in regent if it was a variant such as you cannot declare war, you cannot take an AI city, say with space as the goal. (Preferably pre 1000AD)

@Darksi - Sorry about the tech issues. Love to have you if things change.

Current Roster:
Raliuven
Toxicman007
CommandoBob
????
????

I was just playing a game as Germany (on my old/dying comp) and I reminded myself of why I shouldn't play SG's at any time.

I lost pretty much all of my invasion force trying to take Babylon (the city) The surprising thing is that it was vet spears in this game instead of the invincible reg spears. I really thought that 15 MDI/swords/archers and a sword army could take a city... ain't going to happen.

I will be following this one. I may even try to move up to regent on my own with a bit of reading here.

My first game (that I can remember) was with Babylon. So pretty much only for the nostalgia...

GOTM119 was Babylon. I can't say I was overly impressed with bowman, but they've got a heck of a base for cultural advancement. :D I"m okay with Babylon. With Elephantium that would make 4 players. I was hoping for some regent players, that was the purpose of the thread. :(

Of course this is very good company and I'm not complaining about that. I'll kick the game off on Tuesday PM. I am going to keep it at Regent and hope that maybe some Regent players can be enticed to play once they see the starting location.

I may even have some time to post a starting image. :mischief:

Map Stats:
Large
Pangaea
60% Water (least water setting)
Barbs: Roaming
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Warm

Civ: Babylon (Scientific/Religious)
UU: Bowman (replace archers: 2/2/1, Shields: 20) Requirements: Warrior Code
11 Random Civs
Victories: All Allowed (except wonder), not culturally linked, preserve random seed, cultural conversions and scientific leaders allowed.
Aggression: Normal
Difficulty: Regent

Opposing Civs Spoiler
Spoiler :

Korea (Commercial/Scientific) UU: Hwach’a (replaces cannon: 0(8)/0/1 ROF:1 Shields: 40 *Terrain Restriction*)
Mongols (Expansionist/Militaristic) UU: Keshik (replaces knight: 4/2/2 Shields: 60 *Ignores Terrain*)
Carthage (Seafaring/Industrious) UU: Numidian Mercenaries (replaces spearman: 2/3/1 Shields: 30)
England (Seafaring/Commercial) UU: Man-o-War (replaces frigate: 4(4)/2/5 ROF:2 Shields: 65 *Enslave*)
Spain (Seafaring/Religious) UU: Conquistadors (replaces explorers 3/2/2 Shields: 70 *Ignores Terrain*)
Portugal (Expansionist/Seafaring) UU: Carrack (replaces Caravel 2/2/4 Shields: 40 *Ignores Terrain*)
Scandinavia (Militaristic/Seafaring) UU: Beserks (replaces longbowmen 6/2/1 Shields: 70 *amphibious*)
Ottomans (Scientific/Industrious) UU: Sipahi (replaces cavalry: 8/3/3 Shields: 100)
Japan (Religious/Militaristic) UU: Samurai (replaces knight: 4/4/2 Shields: 70)
Zululand (Expansionist/Militaristic) UU: Impi (replaces spearmen 1/2/2 Shields: 20)
Aztecs (Militaristic/Agricultural) UU: Jaguar Warrior (replaces warrior: 1/1/2 Shields: 15)

Starting Location:

Attachments

• StartSeed11.SAV
    87.4 KB · Views: 171
Without looking at the save, my Always War reflexes would be to move the settler 1SW onto the hill and build our capital there and have the worker begin on a mine.

But this is regent, not an AW game, so keep that in mind.

Top Bottom