Rally Pt & Abandon city

solops

Warlord
I am slowly getting fed up with Civ IV, which appears to be a nice, but very incremental update to Civ III. The interface is just not very informative at a glance, requiring the user to click or move the mouse to get data that should be present without searching. Any inprovements in play have been masked but the poor data presentation of the interface, which requires digging.

Aside from that, the three items I'd like help with are rally points and city abandonment.

1. I cannot find the abandon city command. Where and what is it?

2. Rally points: How do you set them? I have been through the manual and the 1.52 notes several times and have missed them completely. The methods mentioned on the boards (select city bar and then shift-rt click target) DOES NOT WORK. Neither does "select city bar and then ctrl-shift-rt click target." Both methods result in a nice yellow circle on the map but no production is ever routed.

3. When the lightning fast news reports zip by and I happen to see that somewhere in the world one of my improvements was destroyed, how do I find out where? The screen stays where it was when the turn ended or at the sight of a combat, motionless like a dead mackerel, giving me no clue.

solops said:
1. I cannot find the abandon city command. Where and what is it?

There isn't such a command anymore. Could gift the city then declare war and then raze it.

solops said:
3. When the lightning fast news reports zip by and I happen to see that somewhere in the world one of my improvements was destroyed, how do I find out where? The screen stays where it was when the turn ended or at the sight of a combat, motionless like a dead mackerel, giving me no clue.

I think this is an issue that will be fixed at some point - I agree it is far too fast sometimes.

As for the rally points, not sure on that one. I never use them.

I finally got the rally command to work. I had to uninstall the game, the folders missed by the uninstall and the clean the registry THREE times before it would work.

Go figure...

You got the rally points.

There is no "abandon city" function. You can give it away and retake it, but very often you are not given the option of razing it. Its just a lack of programming by the developers.

As for where your improvements are destroyed, when you get the message a little circle pops up with a picture of the unit that did the pillaging and in points back to the pillaged improvement. It would be nice if some other visual was present for a turn or two.

I agree with your point that, despite all the claims of "we've been playing it for years before we release it" talk, a lot of very simple things just got missed, and it makes you wonder.....

solops said:
I finally got the rally command to work. I had to uninstall the game, the folders missed by the uninstall and the clean the registry THREE times before it would work.

Go figure...

Iam having the same problem with the rally points. I set them, the yellow circle appears, but infact they do not work. Can u explain me exactly the steps which you did to make them work, please? :confused:

I can tell you what I did, but not what, if any part of it, fixed the problem.

1. Uninstall the game
2. Delete the Firaxis folder in the Program Files folder
3. Delete the Civ4 folder in the Games (My Games?) folder in the My Documents folder.
4. I ran Registry Mechanic and cleaned out my registry of all orphan trash.
Repeat 1-4 three times.

Now it works. It did not after the first or second tries. It did after the third.

Civ4's Uninstall is aweful. It leave lots and lots of files in several places that may effect your new installation, even if you select the options to uninstall everything.

solops said:
I can tell you what I did, but not what, if any part of it, fixed the problem.

1. Uninstall the game
2. Delete the Firaxis folder in the Program Files folder
3. Delete the Civ4 folder in the Games (My Games?) folder in the My Documents folder.
4. I ran Registry Mechanic and cleaned out my registry of all orphan trash.
Repeat 1-4 three times.

Now it works. It did not after the first or second tries. It did after the third.
QUOTE]

Thanks. That also worked for me. But the reason was not reinstallation. When you install it for first time the option 'Units auto promote' is turned off by default. When you turned it on, the rally points stop to work. This option causes the bug with the rally points.

mooncow said:
When you install it for first time the option 'Units auto promote' is turned off by default. When you turned it on, the rally points stop to work. This option causes the bug with the rally points.

Wow. (very impressed).
How the hell did you ever figure THAT out???

solops said:
Wow. (very impressed).
How the hell did you ever figure THAT out???

There was no reason after reinstalling the games the things to begin to work. I was sure in that, because rally points were not working for me even the first time when I tried to use them with the 1st installation.
So i reinstalled and tried playing with all options on default - rallys were working. Then i begin to turn on 1 by 1 all the options, with which i like to play and when i turned on the 'units auto-promote' feature, the things become obvious.

Top Bottom