Rallying Call: Eastern European/Turkish Battles Mod, during the Renaissance!

Akkoyunlu Federation and Empire of Trebizond are two other major Anti-Ottoman players. Depending on how east you'd like to go, you can also add Safevids, but they appear on map on 1501. To the South there are the Mameluk Turks of Egypt, but they were pretty neutral until 1484 Djem Sultan's exile.
Knights Hospitalier of Saint John of Rhodes and Republic of Genoa deserve more attention in an Anti-Ottoman leage than a puny Duchy of Muscovy at 15th Century as they were only one of many vassals of Golden Horde. (but I understand the practicality, as they are already in the game, so no need to mod, lazy Shqype... ;))

Here's a list of Karamanid cities i came up with last night :scan: :

Larende, Konya, Silifke, Manavgat, Anamur, Side, Alanya, Aksaray, Ayranci, Mut, Emenek, Akseki, Bozyazı, Ahirli, Yalvaç, Beyşehir, Seydişehir, Karaağaç, Isparta, Niğde, Erdemli, Altunhisar, Bor, Çamardı, Çiftlik, Ulukışla, Kemerhisar, Çiftehan, Selimiye and Bahçeli.

Everything else seems fine and this one looks like a promising mod. Good luck and happy Easter.

Karamans:

Additional cities to Tunch's list: Gulnar, Selinti (now Gazipasa)

Leaders: Mehmet Bey (Philosophical, Organized, Favors state property)
Ibrahim Bey (Aggressive, Expansive, Favors Police State)

For the Unique Unit: Deliler
Movement : 1
Strength : 8
Cost : 70

Requires: Civil Service, Iron
Replaces Maceman 2 First Strikes, +50% vs Melee Units

Thanks alot guys, this information is very helpful ... Karamans are in. (I'm NOT lazy Tunch!)

Pretty much everything will be redone ... and I'de like to stay away from "generic" units ... so while the Deliler is nice, hopefully you can give me more ideas for the Karamans. For Ottomans, I currently have Akinci, Sipahi, Basilik, and Janissary. More would be nice ;)

Actually, Deliler (Crazy People) is a name of melee unit used by Ottoman Army.

They wear a post made by either bear or hyena. They also wear helmet and shield which has feathers on it. They were called crazy since they were assembled from young people ages ranging from 20-25 and fighting on the foremost ranks. Banners they carried has ‘If it is in our fate, it will happen anyways’ written on it. (As you can imagine they nearly always had the most causality, yet they destroy the enemy’s morale and reduce their defenses a lot.) ;)

The reason I suggest this unit is that I could not find the information whether the Ottomans created this unit or it was an old Turkish unit. Secondly you insist for a unique unit. :)

But if I were you, I won’t put any unique unit for Karamans.

Additional info:

Army: consisted of 25 000 horseback, 25 000 foot soldiers.

Shqype said:
For Ottomans, I currently have Akinci, Sipahi, Basilik, and Janissary. More would be nice ;)

Some info on Akinci(lar)

Most famous Akinci commanders and their bases:

Malkocoglu (in Silistre Province (now Silistra Bulgaria))
Turhanli (in Mora, Greece)
Mihalli (in Sofia, Bulgaria)

Until the 15th century they were around 40,000
20,000 of them participated to the first Kosova war.
50,000 of them listed to be in the army while Suleyman was on his conquest to Austria and Budin.

Their presence was strong until a heavy bombardment by Eflak Voyvada killed most of them (collateral damage by cannons :lol: )while they were passing through Tuna (Danube).

I hope these info will help you.

Shqype said:
For Ottomans, I currently have Akinci, Sipahi, Basilik, and Janissary. More would be nice ;)
What is a Basilik?

The name of the cannon that destroyed the walls of Constantinople.

Shqype said:
The name of the cannon that destroyed the walls of Constantinople.
Ah, I remember that now... :) It should be "Basilisk" ;)

Tunch Khan said:
Ah, I remember that now... :) It should be "Basilisk" ;)
My source says otherwise:
On 29th May 1453 he entered the city through a breach made by his great gun Basilik, and the last emperor of Byzantium was found dead among his own soldiers.
As for basilisk, you've no doubt played Final Fantasy recently ;)

Shqype said:
My source says otherwise:

As for basilisk, you've no doubt played Final Fantasy recently ;)

umm, what is your source; Wikipedia? ;)

Here is mine:

Ottoman Basilisk (bacaluşka) in pages 78–80 of Guns for the Sultan
Military Power and the Weapons Industry in the Ottoman Empire

Series: Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization
Gábor Ágoston
Georgetown University, Washington DC
Hardback (ISBN-13: 9780521843133 | ISBN-10: 0521843138)

"These early guns were siege weapons which fired stone and iron balls of about fifty pounds, the largest guns were known as ‘cannon royal’ or ‘basilisk’ (a fabulous monster serpent), guns were either fortress guns or siege guns. Smaller guns were known as ‘demi’ and ‘quarter’ canons or were named after birds of prey, falcon, falconet etc;" in Weapons and Tactics by Brig.General (Retd) ZA KHAN (Defence Journal, March 2001)

"Two 60-pound culverins,3 ten 80-pounders, and an enormous basilisk4 firing solid shot weighing 160 pounds were brought up for the attack on St. Elmo.....4-basilisk: ancient brass cannon."
Knights of Malta, 1523-1798
R. Cohen
LATE SCHOLAR OF WADHAM COLLEGE, OXFORD 1920
THE LOTHIAN PRIZE ESSAY FOR 1920 (UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD)
April 15, 2004 [EBook #12034]
Chapter II

"FERNEZE. Farewell.
[Exit BASSO.]
And now, you men of Malta, look about,
And let's provide to welcome Calymath:
Close your port-cullis, charge your basilisks,<119>
And, as you profitably take up arms,
So now courageously encounter them,
For by this answer broken is the league,
And naught is to be look'd for now but wars,
And naught to us more welcome is than wars.
[Exeunt.] - <119> basilisks] See note ‡, p. 25.

<note ‡, p. 25, The First Part of Tamburlaine the Great:

"basilisks] Pieces of ordnance so called. They were of
immense size; see Douce's ILLUST. OF SHAKESPEARE, i. 425.">"

Jew of Malta by Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), Act 5:3

"Ottoman basilisk, ca. 1453, cast for a stone ball of about 930 lb."
GUNPOWDER AND GALLEYS: CHANGING TECHNOLOGY AND MEDITERRANEAN WARFARE AT SEA IN THE SIXTEENTH CENTURY by JOHN FRANCIS GUILMARTIN JR. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
Published by the Syndics of the Cambridge University Press
Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number: 73-83109
ISBN: O 521 20272 8
First published 1974 Printed in Great Britain by Alden & Mowbray Ltd. at the Alden Press, Oxford

"Many batteries were placed on Scibberas as the Turks dug in. The pounding started, and the Knights were hit with everything from ships’ guns to enormous “basilisk” pieces so large they could only be discharged twice a day." from Angels in Iron by Nicholas C. Prata

("Basilisk" From Bulfinch's Mythology: This beast was called the king of the serpents. In confirmation of his royalty, he was said to be endowed with a crest, or comb upon the head, constituting a crown. He was supposed to be produced from the egg of a cock hatched under toads or serpents. There were several species of this animal.)

As for "Basilik"; it is a sad translation from "Basilisk" and means nothing other than a herb used on Pizza :)(Latin:Basilicum).

To cut a long story short, Mehmed II named his cannon after a monstrous beast with an apetite for killing and destroying and had a very long shape similar to his cannon. After Mehmed II, the word Basilisk entered into military literature and even today it's being used to name various tank or artillery models in several countries as well as artillery equipment in some popular fictional books.

So as for Basilisk, I conclude; you've no doubt played Age of Empires recently ;)

Where does Age of Empires come into play? And no, I haven't played that recently ... not for years. And my source wasn't wikipedia either; I tried looking under both names for you but basilisk only provided information on mythology and bestiaries.

Basilisk was the Ottoman UU in one of the popular scenarios or mods... anyway, I hope you are convinced with the name Basilisk at this point... ;)

:lol: I've never encountered an Ottoman UU in AoE ... my first subscription to a fan-site for a game is civfanatics, so I wouldn't have known about the popular mods/scenarios. I still like Basilik better since it won't be confused with Greek mythology. Although, I am surprised there wasn't anything on it in wikipedia.

Don't worry people in the business will understand Basilisk. :) Otherwise we don't want to name a monster cannon after an herb.:D

OzzyKP, do you have any ideas that you yourself can contribute? :)

Ottoman city names as for 1350 starting date.

Bursa
Iznik
S&#246;&#287;&#252;t
Izmid
Orhangazi
Bolu
Bergama
&#304;neg&#246;l
Domani&#231;
Karam&#252;rsel
Uluabad
Dumlup&#305;nar
Yeni&#351;ehir
Osmaneli
Kale-i Sultaniye
Bilecik
Eski&#351;ehir
Nev&#351;ehir
Karahisar-i Sahip
Hisarc&#305;k
Balikesir
Biga
Burhaniye
Nil&#252;fer
Seyitgazi
Sivrihisar
Gemlik
Tav&#351;anl&#305;
Mihalgazi
Edremit
Sar&#305;cakaya
Beylikova
Karacabey
Boz&#252;y&#252;k
Mudanya
Derince
Yarimca
Pazaryeri
Ihsaniye
Yenipazar
Inhisar
G&#246;lpazar&#305;

Thanks Tunch. Now I'm putting together the factions (city lists, flags) and working on the tech tree so that there is a base to work from.

This should help set the mood for this mod:

http://www.illyriaentertainment.com/scanderbeg.htm

Watch that trailer for a sneak preview of the documentary on the Albanian national hero Gjergj Kastrioti, otherwise known as Scanderbeg. He is one of the main players in this mod, along with the Italian powers, the Hungarians, the "Romanians," Poles, and Turks.

This trailer states a good point: while the West of Europe was developing throughout the Renaissance, the Eastern European were fighting off the Ottomans. And that, my friends, is what this mod is all about!

Please watch, enjoy, and state any comments you may have :)

Shqype said:
Thanks Tunch. Now I'm putting together the factions (city lists, flags) and working on the tech tree so that there is a base to work from.

This should help set the mood for this mod:

http://www.illyriaentertainment.com/scanderbeg.htm

Watch that trailer for a sneak preview of the documentary on the Albanian national hero Gjergj Kastrioti, otherwise known as Scanderbeg. He is one of the main players in this mod, along with the Italian powers, the Hungarians, the "Romanians," Poles, and Turks.

This trailer states a good point: while the West of Europe was developing throughout the Renaissance, the Eastern European were fighting off the Ottomans. And that, my friends, is what this mod is all about!

Please watch, enjoy, and state any comments you may have :)

thats what the battle of marica and then later kosovo and everything else afterwards was about,

Shqype said:
Thanks for the information ... poor Turks! Everyone wants to kill them :p

Hey, if everyone wants to kill'em, then by default Turks can't be poor, ha?:)

Top Bottom