1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RAM testing: What is acceptable error?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by GoodGame, Nov 20, 2011.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I've been noticing errors when running some applications, mostly MMO games where I see semi-fatal frame stuttering. I have a new video card that is appropriately powered, so my main thought was either the hard drives (2 of 3 hard drives used for virtual memory at a modest 2 GB per harddrive) or the RAM is starting to "die".

I got the software "BurnInTest" (v7) from Cnet and it confirmed that the RAM was the problem, using a 100% load full system (all components in use) test. In only 10 cycles of testing, the RAM had 5 errors, but no other components had issues.

I did the simplest fix, and re-seated the RAM, after switching slots (2 x 1GB sticks). I then re-ran the RAM test alone, and it took to about 75 cycles of testing to accumulate 2 errors.

Is that acceptable? Since the RAM was slightly overclocked, I was thinking about turning the voltage down and re-testing. But I'm curious what is acceptable for the purpose of non-critical applications.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

No number of software detectable RAM errors is acceptable.

3. GoodGame

Ok. Well I did turn the voltage down on my RAM, to below manufacturer suggested but at a level that the BIOS defaults to. That makes the RAM run even lower than 800Mhz, but I got zero errors in over 30 cycles of testing, so I guess I'll have to accept that until I buy a better mobo.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd really recommend something like memtest86+ for memory testing, rather than something that runs on top of the OS.

5. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

Yeah, use memtest. Although it seems like you already have figured out that you need new RAM anyway.

6. GoodGame

Actually I just needed to buy RAM from a company that didn't lie about it's qualities. Or maybe a new mobo. It's rated at over 800mhz at the proper voltage (requires a slight overclocking of my mobo). My mobo is rated to run ram at up to 800mhz. However both still run at 400MHZ, regardless of what settings I give, so I just turned down the RAM voltage as well and the RAM now passes RAM tests without errors.

I haven't used memtest. I found burnitin to be very user friendly for load testing.

7. G-Max

G-Max Deity

This, this, a million times THIS.