1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ramadan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NovaKart, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I don't think the guy who came up with Ramadan understood how the sun works. Or he didn't mean for it to spread to the north.

2. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Well I guess they didn't have clocks so that's probably the best they could come up with.

3. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I fasted today, but that is for another reason, since i was sick and I could not eat any food due to abdominal pain. :(

4. Lillefix

Even though there is no central authority in Islam, it should still be allowed to use common sense. This year, Norwegian muslims in the capital will fast between 18 and 19 hours a day. Next year, it will be up to 21 hours. That's just not healthy.

5. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Don't know about the Muslims you met but most Muslims just follow the time in Mecca if they live in really Northern areas.

6. Lillefix

According to the newspaper I read, most (non-native european)muslims in Norway follow Oslo time. I didn't see any source though.

7. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Well than that's just silly. :crazyeye:

It could be one of those "More Turkish than the Turks themselves", where converts adhere more seriously to rules than those born into the religion.

According to this Islamic Website quoting Fatwas, there are a number of ways to fast.
    http://www.daruliftaa.com/question?txt_questionid=q-22092339

I suppose some are just very literal of the whole Dusk and Dawn thing. I think my government issued a letter to overseas Muslim Singaporeans in extreme latitudes with approval from local Muslim councils to fast only 15 hours a day.

8. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Wow, that shows dedication!

9. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Its custom that we eat this type of bread on iftar. We usually eat the "European bread", do you switch to this type of bread?

10. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I've seen it but not especially for Iftar. Ramazan customs vary a lot around Turkey. Here people sell this black kind of juice that you can only get during Ramadan in the street. It tastes terrible. Kind of sweet but gross.