1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rampant racism in Germany, Mexico, and Quebec!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bhsup, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

I can not explain the checks-thing, but the other two are fairly easily explainable. ID - Big Government. Dropping call - Big country

2. mitsho

mitsho Deity

That's beside the point. I just read an article making the following distinction between Americans and everybody else. The Americans fear that the state has info on them, but they don't have any problem with Google or Supermarket chains keeping the info on them. Europeans fear the free businesses, but are totally okay with the state knowing that stuff. Thus, in my country f.e., when you move town you have to go to town hall and say, "hey, I'm leaving and going to that town", and the city sends your infos to the other city. So, ID's are required by the state. The US on the other hand doesn't have the right to know where their citizens live, so for example, for jury duty, they have to rely on the driver's register. It should be obvious that many who drive a car are not Americans and that (I hope) many Americans don't own a car/driving license. So you're screwed. And don't let me start on the census you do every ten years...

So, long story short. You can ask for ID's in these other countries because everyone has to have a ID and the state knows when you don't and can tell you likewise. In the US - to my knowledge - it's up to you to get one, hence it's an obstacle to require one when it's not usual to have one. That said, ID's for everyone should be obligatory (and google and co. should have far fewer rights to infringe on privacy ;))

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Credit cards or debit cards would not suffice under most U.S. voter id laws or proposals. A driver's license would only be good if the address matched up to an address within the precinct.

4. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Okay, this has gone on long enough. Time for me to spill the beans.

While I -am- okay with requiring picture IDs to vote, it is only if getting one is ridiculously easy and free because otherwise it's a poll tax imho. Roving mobile ID centers visiting communities, things like that.

So then why did I make this thread? Because this IS the type of voter intimidation that goes on now. And it's not limited to southern States, unless you consider Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc to be southern States. Which means the Supreme Court was absolutely right to lift the ridiculous restrictions that were in place ONLY against southern States.

5. JollyRoger

But the representatives in all those states (including the Southern ones) recently upheld the preclearance as is. When did you get on board with the Supreme Court being the policy making branch of the government?

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

They're only activists when they make decisions I don't agree with, Jolly.

7. JollyRoger

So when DOMA gets struck down tomorrow?

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm not sure if that's true. I haven't seen too much outrage from Americans after the whole NSA leak, except for from specific & small subgroups. Most Americans seem perfectly happy with the government keeping tabs on them.

Most mainstream news reports focus on the person who leaked the story, and not the outrage of what's happening as well. But correct me if I'm wrong anyone, I ain't American

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

How will those roving ID centers be structured? Is it a national ID program or does a state decide whether or not to provide them? Can guarantees of sufficient access for both urban environments as well as extremely rural areas be given?

Map from wiki (it's from 2008, I think, so it doesn't have the most recent legislation on it) is below. Not all Southern states were subject to it, and some counties in Northern and Western states were subject to it.

10. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I couldn't care less how other States did it as they are not my care, concern, or problem. And no it shouldn't be a national program. Mandatory national picture IDs are you crazy? No way on God's green earth would I ever support that. I think it would/should be something like those old mobile libraries I used to see as a kid (this, btw, gets hats of to Contre, it wasn't me who thought of it.)

And, you know, the State shouldn't go INSANE trying to guarantee everyone gets an ID. At some point some responsibility has to be shouldered by the would-be voter. IF they cannot be arsed to go a few miles to a mobile RV ID they know is in town for the week, well hell man, tough cookies. You know, they can still anytime they want go to the local DMV for a non-driver picture ID anytime they want during the year as well. (which again should be free if mandated for voting)

@Jolly: DOMA... that's, honestly I don't know how I feel about DOMA. I think this has a lot to do with my changing views of gay marriage as a States' Rights issue to more of a civil rights issue.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You're spot on, the rage is confined to the media and the interwebs for the most part.

In fact, this post I quoted is eerily similar to one that I wrote in one of the NSA leak threads but then trashed because I didn't want to get dragged into a thread that had devolved into personal attacks and garbage posts.

12. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

Do other states not elect governmental bodies which are your problem?

13. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Sure, they elect representatives to Congress, but that's up to them how they do it and not my place to interfere. The Constitution clearly puts the power of elections in the hands of the States.

14. JollyRoger

I had an acquaintance that had let her state id expire. It was quite the effort to get it renewed. She had a entire stack of documents proving her id, including her expired id card, but that still didn't work. She had to get sworn affidavits from people who knew her to get it. Of course, she has already gone through the voter registration process and has a voter id card (which Texas has chosen not to be a photo id) - but I guess that is just not enough bureaucracy for some people.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The answer is obviously ID chip implants right after birth. Then if you want to vote you just get your ass scanned and voila

16. JollyRoger

Can't the voting official just tap into the NSA database for your photo and address?

17. dido

dido Prince

I am all for requiring photo ID for voting as long as said ID is free.

The problem in the US is that ID (i.e. driver's license) is not free.

18. mitsho

mitsho Deity

The joke is, that article wasn't talking at all about the NSA-leak. It was talking about basic stuff like keeping a register of inhabitants, having a national public health registration number, basic stuff like that. The article claimed Americans don't want stuff like that. Compare this to Denmark where the state deducts the taxes automatically before you get your salary (or so I've heard in regard to academic work at least).

... and that's what I was talking about. If the state knew who you are, it shouldn't be a hassle to give a new id. If I remember back what it took me to renew my id, I was probably in there around 5 minutes. And they give you the old one back, with a hole in it.

19. Tycho Brahe

Tycho Brahe Emperor

I can confirm that. :)

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, that's just PAYE. Why not? Saves all the hassle of filling in a tax return every year.

You mean the US doesn't do this?