Random DG5 Idea: A Multi-Team Game?

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
From the mind that brought you the Ministry of Finance and Labor, it's time for yet another idea stolen from another Civ site.

Should DG5 be incarnated as a team game, a la MSDG?

The premise is simple enough: rather than just one 'nation' playing against the AI, it's a group of human teams competing against one another. The game has the added dynamic of inter-team diplomacy, as well as the knowledge that you're playing against an intelligent being. :)

I can almost guarentee that a team game setup would breathe a little more life into this game. I know I lost interest in this game back in DG3 for the reason that it was an SPDG. We're sure to attract some membership from other parts of CFC as well (from the SG and PBEM people).

The obvious, most immeadiate disadvantage is that this would force the game to be in PTW or C3C. Seeing, though, that vanilla Civ3 isn't even sold any more (You can only get it packaged with PTW as Civ3Gold), I doubt this will be a problem.

Another disadvantage is that, Game of the Republic excluded, we've never done this before. But, if we do have the full support of the CFC community (TF included, for private fora), I think it's very possible.

From the mind that gave you random slapping with a trout, this idea gets a thumb up.
I feel the democracy game has gotten into a track that mostly says routine. Sometimes a routine can become boring. Looking back at those demogames I participated in (dg2, start of dg3 and a chunk of dg4) I say that the decline of activity from the start towards just about the time when those micromanagers step forward and maybe scares off the newcomers, should point towards that it is necessary to change the gameplay a little.

Hope I made myself clear...
In short: Teams good, current style bad

I don't like the idea of a Multi-Team game for DG5. There are plenty of multi-team demogames out there, including two that CFC participates in. People who want to play multi-team demogames should participate in those. Personally, I like having a single-player DG. It puts us all together as a single team facing AI's, which is something I find preferable to multiple teams, all fairly small, with a game moving in general quite slowly. With a single-player demogame, not only are we all on one team, but we also control how long the game will take (to some extent). I much prefer that to having a team with maybe five active members, facing other teams with the same, and the game moving at a slow and unpredictable pace. Not that a multi-team demogame wouldn't be interesting in its own regard (numerous multi-team DG's have shown that), but I want to keep the single-player demogame alive.

i agree with boots, if you want to play a multisite dg then join one that we have here

Well, then, why don't we try something else? What if a multi-team game ran parralell to the SPDG? One for each taste. I still think that a multi-team game can rally some enthusiasm for a forum that's otherwise somewhat boring.

that is a good idea, we find someone else that will play the same exact game with us and they help choose settings,, but we would have to lock this forum

There's a chance that a parallel multi-team demogame might pull participation from the single-player one, but hopefully it pulls in enough people to compensate. I'd be willing to give that a shot.

It is still possible to play this kind of game with the people that lurk within these fora. You would not need to seek participants elsewhere. Locking fora for teams only would be quite important of course.

But then the question would be - how does one ensure that the teams are equal in strenght, or should that really matter?

@Octavian: have you noticed that a MSDG game is already going on CFC forums?

Why would you want to create another MSDG game: that creates confusion and less participation. Keep it the way it's right now: 1 Single player game, 1 MSDG game on conquests and PTW (if that one is still going one: honestly I don't know). There is no need to start another multiplayer game.

I actually suggested this a LONG time ago. Remember the Game of Republic? :p

It didn't work too well... And TF wasn't about to make another thread.

Chieftess said:
I actually suggested this a LONG time ago. Remember the Game of Republic? :p

It didn't work too well... And TF wasn't about to make another thread.
I remembered that. Though it was a failed experiment though :(.

Sorry, should've been keeping it up...

CT, I do remember the GotR. I think that failed because of a good concept that wouldn't work.

And, I also do realize there are two MSDGs going on as well. I participate in both (Go Team Apolyton in C3CISDG! :p ). I also participate in the two PTWDGs at Apolyton, both being games will multiple human teams. They've pulled enough participation to work all of them at once, as well as both MSDGs. To clarify, this is not another MSDG - this is an intra-site game. That is, to say, all the teams will be made up of peoeple from CFC.

Paal: We'd either get a single person to create and even out the map, or make a random map and call it par for the course. :D

It seems to me this would just be really confusing and complicate games further. Not to mention that we seem to already have such a game, spaning numerous sites.

Hey guys, most of you don't know me but I'm semi-active in the C3C ISDG. ;)

Anyway, if you want to try a MSDG, count me in. :D
- MRex

I would go for something like this, but how would you seperate the people? Randomly?

and what about private forums? We are going to need 8 private forums (for each team). If it's possible it's great, but I prefer doing 1 game with all citizens. That way you can feel more like a big team. Otherwise every team is really small, and depends on one or two people. Nah, let's just build a huge empire with entire CFC (ok, that may be much, let's focus on the DG people..)

I think the 'CFC' team is to large as is...

Dividing it up (not meaning 8 and we could throw in AI) would take care of it and keep some active. It's actually a challenge. It's also easier to keep in check than the MSDG and ISDG games..., so IMO, it is better than them.

When I first asked TF about this, he did mention about vb3 having that ability. I guess the time is just about right. I'll ask him to see if he's willing to experiment with the usergroups.

Top Bottom