Random Events - This One I Loved!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bleser, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Bleser

Bleser Prince

So I'm still on my first game of BTS even though I bought it the day it came out (working too much, gone for the weekend, you know how it is...), and the new random events feature I found very annoying. I mean, a road by my capital gets destroyed or a mine caves in... it's like playing whack-a-mole. I said I'd definantly turn it off the next time around... but...

Then Caeser declared war on me, poor Greece, about 1/3 his size. On my first turn of the war, I got a "random event" that a runner ran 23 miles alerting of the invasion and a golden age started! WHOOO HOO! I was throwing Phalanxes at him faster than he could strike back with his Legions, and have since kept him off my land.

Now that is a good random event!

2. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

I've had the 'runner' but I'm sure mine didn't come with a golden age :(

3. rev063

rev063 Chieftain

That happened to me too, also playing with the Greeks. I wonder if it only happens if you play Greece? And maybe having a city called Marathon increases the likelihood? :)

4. largedarryl

largedarryl Prince

I've had that happen to a civ that I was invading :( . I should have been able to wipe him out, but he was able to stop me after taking 2 cities. (Note: it wasn't the Greeks, as I've seen this happen to the ai twice and the greeks were not in either one of those games)

I very much enjoy the random events, they are there to make your entire game more unpredictable. Didn't you just hate how several parts of the game became annoying because it was the same everytime.

5. Lurking Liu

Lurking Liu Prince

It might be a Greek only event. I keep getting the event where your soldiers treat wounded enemies, ending the war peacefully; but never the Marathon thing.

6. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

I had some sort of highway breakthrough that gave my roads +1 movement. I thought that was awesome. I love the random events.

7. Erudine

Erudine Chieftain

I got a similar one when I launched a war right after discovering Infantry. My soldiers made a <some large number> of miles march and inspired my country to start a golden age. Was playing America.

8. hgthechinese

hgthechinese Warlord

the runner thing is awesome...never seen it though. what I DID get is this:

a war been going on for a while, can't peace it out because my military is way too weak, can't hold it much longer and my culture city Shanghai (which founded 2 religions) is about to be gone....and then....

some GREAT negotiator (or was it called mediator?) is trying to negotiate peace (!!!!), and i was given the choice of ending the war peacefully w/+1 relation (WOOHOO). I thought that was the greatest thing ever.

and, that gave me an idea...we should have a great mediator as a great person (or great deplomat) that can end war or give serious relationship boost etc.

9. Landstander

Landstander Warlord

Re: events - there is a loading screen tip that says different events are triggered by playing different Civs/strageties/religions/etc. So maybe the runner thing is linked to greece?

10. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Emperor

everyone i know of that has had the Holy Mountain event says it was when they had Judaism as their state religion, so i think it is linked

11. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

I have gotten the Holy Mountain quest as a Christian civ, so it's most likely just one of the two religions.

12. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I am pretty sure no events by default are linked to particular civs or religions.

13. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

I got one last night about creating a sports league, and that if I built seven coliseums before any other civ, I get some sort of bonus. I could use these anyway, so let's see what happens.

14. Skavenrot

Skavenrot Chieftain

I got the one about the Vikings healing one of my units, which let me immediately get a peace treaty. It was a miracle at the time, since an absurd Viking cavalry stack of doom had entered my south borders and I would have resorted to throwing spitballs at them to try to hold them off. After the peace treaty ended, I had built up my forces enough by the next war.

15. mike7808

mike7808 Chieftain

I also had the guy running 26 miles to alert all my cities and got a golden age the next turn. This was while playing as Native Americans

16. uppi

uppi Deity

Actually a peek into the XML reveals that the holy mountain quest requires Judaism, Christianity or Islam as state religion

17. Reveilled

Reveilled Warlord

Maybe rather than certain events being exclusively linked to certain civs and religions, being a certain civ or religion greatly increases the probability of getting it.

That would explain the apparent Judaism-Holy Mountain connection and the Greece-Runner one while still allowing for the exceptions.

18. Phobic

Phobic Chieftain

I got the marathon event as well. I was playing at the Holy Roman Empire, so i'm pretty positive that it is not a Greek specific event!

19. HiroHito

HiroHito Prince

were you playing on Marathon ?

:p

20. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

You must've been playing on Marathon as the greeks! :p

on other news, i was also playing as the greeks and i got the "National Sports" Event! :p