Random Events

Pendle Witch

Chieftain
I remember when I first bought BTS, the random events quite often consisted of quests; along the lines of:

"be the first to build 6 forges" or "be the first to build 12 horsemen"

It occurs to me that I have not seen any such "quest type" events for many, many games.

The only "events" I get are either: "Your granary has burned down - pay 50g to save it" or "We have found a rich source of minerals in this tile"

Anybody know why this might be the case?

For info, using Bug Mod 4.3 and have it load automatically on game start ...... dont know if this compromises the "events"

Many Thanks,

Don`t EVER get them - cant recall having a "quest" type event for about 2 years (about 30 games!!)

It's just tough luck, I myself rarely get those beautiful events :lol: A list of the events, their triggers and the chances of them appearing can be found here

Of course, if you want to increase the chances, you just modify a .xml file. Don't ask me which one, I'm not familiar with the game files :lol:

I remember when I first bought BTS, the random events quite often consisted of quests; along the lines of:

"be the first to build 6 forges" or "be the first to build 12 horsemen"

It occurs to me that I have not seen any such "quest type" events for many, many games.

The only "events" I get are either: "Your granary has burned down - pay 50g to save it" or "We have found a rich source of minerals in this tile"

Anybody know why this might be the case?

For info, using Bug Mod 4.3 and have it load automatically on game start ...... dont know if this compromises the "events"

Many Thanks,

Bad luck.
Blame it on the RNG Gods;)

Very bad luck it must be.
I think i got a quest in at least half of the games i played with events on, if not most of them. Maybe you playing at such a high difficulty that the AI snatches up all the quests...? Consider playing a noble game, you should be way ahead and some quests should trigger.
If not i don't know what may cause that.. consider reinstalling the game.

Quests are an important part of random events, and several quests should accur in every single game, if you’re hunting for them.

Warships Quest, Harbormaster Quest and Overwhelm Quest are my top three favourites:

Warships Quest = all harbors +2 commerce IF you control the Great Lighthouse

Harbormaster Quest = all harbors gain +1 gold

Overwhelm Quest = all harbors +5 commerce

Quests are an important part of random events, and several quests should accur in every single game, if you’re hunting for them.

Warships Quest, Harbormaster Quest and Overwhelm Quest are my top three favourites:

Warships Quest = all harbors +2 commerce IF you control the Great Lighthouse

Harbormaster Quest = all harbors gain +1 gold

Overwhelm Quest = all harbors +5 commerce

The 'Greed' quest is also nice. In my France 18-civ map game, I got a quest to snatch he copper from Germany. A few turns later my borders popped[because I was wonderspamming] and took the copper, and gave me a lot of axes for free:D.

The Greed Quest just arrived 2020 BC, a copper resourse must be taken from Frederick, Germany, before 67 rounds. It’s inconvenient to attack at this time, but your post seems to point out a solution without war.

In my case a Barbarian city is located between our borders, the copper is situated on a tile that can be within reach of this city if the city culture = 250 before his. I’ve got two axeman and my first swordman is ready in four rounds, Fredericks’ city has just been built.

Greed Quest clearly states that war between us must be declared, I will soon find out if this is really true. I’m going to try get the copper resourse without any unnecessary bloodshed.

Frederick is my friend and I would prefer to let him equip his cities with several settled great people first, before I’m ready to invite myself into his place. He’s after all philosophical,
and I’m not.

My plan doesn’t stop there, the barbarian city mentioned earlier should perhaps be gifted to Charlemange, Holy Rome, straigth after the Greed Quest has delivered a free bunch of axemen as promised.

The barbarian city is a candidate to be razed once I’m ready to march against Aachen, the culture from my empire and Germany should close this gap in the landscape beautifully. No need for copper, I’ve got iron.

Wishful thinking perhaps, I hope the Crusade Quest will be triggered, Aachen is a Buddist Holy city, I’m "buddist" and Holy Rome is of course a pleased buddy of mine.

A second question, can the Crusade Quest happen without a holy schwein in Aachen?

A second question, can the Crusade Quest happen without a holy schwein in Aachen?
Code:
Crusade
	Prereq: State religion but you do not control the Holy City
	Obsolete: None
	Active/Weight: 50/1000
		Aim:
		Declare War on the owner of the Holy City, stay in war until you conquer the Holy City
		Result:
1.get 0.5*default number of players for this world size+1 conscript units (4 for standard)
2.build the shrine for your state religion
3.spread your state religion to  default number of players for this world size cities (7 for standard)
So no. If you get and win the quest you can build the shrine for free, though.

I like horse whispering (+1 food for stables) and literacy (free GS for the Glib!) a lot, too.

Blessed sea is nice, too - free Great priest!!

The random event I seem to get often is the chance of finding a random mineral in one of my mines I've built. Because of this, it's become a habit for me to build mines on tiles that can't be worked on (out of reach) asap when other tiles don't need to be improved as much.

The random event I seem to get often is the chance of finding a random mineral in one of my mines I've built. Because of this, it's become a habit for me to build mines on tiles that can't be worked on (out of reach) asap when other tiles don't need to be improved as much.

Oy. Come on now.

1. Mines have to be physically worked by a citizen in order to have a chance to pop a resource.

2. Although they probably should be, resource discoveries in mines are *not* considered random events by the game and can happen with events disabled.

The Crusade Quest doesn’t say anything about a pre-required existence of a shrine in the Buddist Holy city.

I can change religion during the war and have the shrine built for free, it makes no sense if I get the shrine for Buddism in one of my cities, if it already has been built in Aachen. I’m not going to raze a Holy City.

Oy. Come on now.

1. Mines have to be physically worked by a citizen in order to have a chance to pop a resource.

2. Although they probably should be, resource discoveries in mines are *not* considered random events by the game and can happen with events disabled.

Well even if they're not considered random events, I've seen it happen in my games often. Almost every one of them was in city work tile range, but I've had a rare few outside. If I get another game with that situation, I'll post a picture.

Besides random minerals then if they don't count.... it's usually people burning my forests, slowing down my settler production. >.>

Event50
Mining Accident
Prereq: BRONZE_WORKING and THE_WHEEL and MYSTICISM and HUNTING AND mine
Active/Weight: 90/200

Result:
1.pay 20 gold
2.pay 5 gold AND loose the mine
3.loose the mine AND gain +1 angry face (like whipping anger)

Event74
Hi Yo Silver
Prereq: MINING AND Hill with NO forest NO jungle NO road AND NO improvement AND 4 or less happy resources
Active/Weight: 35/200

Result:
1.Tile gains silver resource
2.you pay 20 gold AND tile gains silver resource AND mine AND road

...but I've had a rare few outside.

You are imagining this. If I can find the cite that says "a citizen must work the tile for <x> to be discovered", I will put it here, but please trust the veteren players on this matter. You may be thinking the parrots/prairie dogs/waters of life/etc....

As Baldor points out, there is an actual random event that adds silver to a hill in your borders, but it can't already have a mine on it.

Then there are the "non-resource resource" random events that can happen if you do have a mine, like the tin and jade random events. These add production and/or commerce to the plot just like having a resource on it would, but there is no actual resource. Some mods add signs that indicate what happened to the plot (like "+2P (Tin)" indicating that the "leading producer of tin" event happened for that plot and it gets +2:hammers:). It is entirely possible that some mods actually add resources with these events (those that have the specific resource, like perhaps Caveman 2 Cosmos which has several metric excessivenesses of resources and could therefore do so for a lot of these sorts of events).

Top Bottom