Random ideas regarding army

ShadowWarrior

Prince
We should be able to create an army group that consists of many different military units. The units in the army group will occupy the same hex instead of being dispersed throughout many different hex. When the army group is headed by a great general, the army group's fighting power is strengthened by a certain percentage.

Essentially, I am suggesting that we get rid of one unit per tile; but I do realize that people are concerned about stack of doom.

In my opinion, the stack of doom is terrifying for several reasons. First, the stack of doom can simply show up right next to your city unannounced and take you completely by surprise. When that happens, you are completely unprepared for it.

Second, even if the above is not an issue, there is still the hassle of having to move units from other parts of the empire to that one city which has to deal with the imminent stack of doom. This problem is made worse if the enemy's stack of doom begins to play "tag" with you. You have to spend your time chasing them all over the map, which just becomes annoying instead of adding to the game.

I like to propose the solution to the above issues, which I think should ameliorate the problems, and make stack of doom actually more enjoyable to deal with.

First, there needs to be mechanics in the game that will warn us of any enemy military units that are headed our way. Spies should be giving us detailed reports of what's going on in other civilizations. For example, spies should be giving us reports on what the rival civs are building, how many military units do they have, the exact movements and locations of the military units, etc. This way, we have a comprehensive overview, much like we look at a chessboard, of what's going on with the enemy. This is how we can make better strategic decisions regarding the deployment of our army against the possibility of enemy stack of doom. Of course, this means that the game screen needs to actually come up with a way to clearly show the movements of enemy units in a way that helps us. If all we are given by our spy is a vague line of sentence that pops up at the beginning of each turn telling us that "Civilization X has an army group of six units headed your way", that doesn't help us very much because 1) we wouldn't know where the heck to look for that 2) we would have fogotten about this warning by the time we took care of other things in the same turn, such as giving build orders to cities.

My second proposal to the solution of stack of doom is that enemy units will begin to loose health points the moment they step inside our boarder, unless they are supplied by war wagon (or a unit that functions like a war wagon). Each time a war wagon is delivered to the enemy army, the enemy army may stop bleeding health points for about 3 turns. After 3 turns, another war wagon needs to be delivered again. This is meant to solve the second problem, which is the concern that the enemy's stack of doom will start playing tag with us inside our own border. If the enemy stack of doom play tag with us, they risk their army collapsing altogether due to attrition. Yes, they can deal with that by sending in war wagon; but the chance of us intercepting war wagon successfully increases as the enemy stack of doom penetrates deeper into our own territory.

Top Bottom