Random is good, but...

1. How to get certain UHV criteria without stone or marble is beyond me.
2. How to tell where continents end and start is also beyond me.
3. And finally, where did all the marsh go (I see at most 2-3 now)?

Possible solutions:
1. Put a stone or marble near the 3000BC civs
2. Once enough civs have spawned, draw some lines showing where the continents are
3. More marsh!!

I've seen a lot of marble near ancient civs, but not stone.
And I disagree about marshes: they are utterly useless in any sense IMO, and the random map is much crappier than the drawn one, it doesn't need further crappy terrain, not to mention that in the drawn map marshes are in places that practically no civ needs to settle anyways.

Random is good... but RAF was/is a masterpiece.

Maybe a better "random" would be to randomize what resources were in RFC's civs but let the spawn sites have those resources. I.e. Egypt has copper, horse, marble, stone, dye, incense, wheat, cotton, elephant around its spawn site. Randomly place these around Egypt's spawn site. Right now I've loaded 20+ Egypt starts (different size maps with different "earthlikeness") and so far I have no luck in locating stone or marble.

This may also give the player an idea where future capitals are...i.e. if it looks too good to be true, it probably is because there's a future capital there.

In my games, and I've only had a couple thus far, but both times my spawn area was surrounded by resources atypical of that civ. For instance, my Persian game had 3 plantations and my China game had 4-5 elephants.

This is true. You can get really immersed in RFC and the way it simulates world history, but with random you're very aware that you're playing a civ game. I mean on RFC if you start as an ancient civ it seems really timely when Greece/Persia spawn, but in my random game I'm really surprised that Arabia's spawning already when Rome/Greece/Persia have barely done anything yet, etc.

Still a great improvement on civ though, and I'm sure a lot of tweaking will take place to make it more Rhye-ish.

Edit: By the time Arabia spawned, I still hadn't researched calendar and was the only civ who had built any wonders or a fourth city. Since this plays so much like civ at the moment, tech flow/turns might need some adjustment.

nevermind this

Right now I'm playing as Persians, just crushing the Egyptians. And indeed, they had access to marble and stone...

If RAND is good and RFC is a masterpiece, regular civ is a piece of crap. RAND is a nice change to RFC, and also it can be played on a smaller map with less civs(crappy computer, huge map means huge loading times).

Random is good but I prefer real world maps and alt.history scenarios. I'd like to see RFC Europe finally get off the ground if those of us involved could get working again on all the unfinished business. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the BTS remake of Colonisation which is being released by Firaxis in Sept. After 14 years I hope it's worth the wait. Could be the best Civ mod ever IMO.:)

If RAND is good and RFC is a masterpiece, regular civ is a piece of crap. RAND is a nice change to RFC, and also it can be played on a smaller map with less civs(crappy computer, huge map means huge loading times).

To be honest, part of the whole premise of civ was its moddability. I almost never play standard civ now - it's always RFC, RFC RAND, a scenario or something involving Revolution.

A small musing, though - would RFC RAND ever be able to work as a module in, say, WoC?

In the end though I must say that regular Civ is by far the best for multiplayer action Probably, the need for balance made the SP game less interesting, but mods fixed this easily, and in the meantime we have a game that is very good for multiplayer.

The one advantage of Rand is that in RFC, we always know who will spawn when and where. We also know where all the resources are or will be. Gives an advantage to the human player. In Rand, this is all random of course.

But, i think that the civ tech and growth modifiers should not be the same as they are in RFC. In a few test maps, plus the ones posted here we are seeing that the map is not the same as in RFC so the civs will not react the way they did on a world map. I have seen Ethiopia build one city and not expand despite being alone on the continent with good ground to spread to. I have seen Carthage surrounded by desert without the protection of the sea. I have experienced Rome, without knowing which way I could safely expand.

3. And finally, where did all the marsh go (I see at most 2-3 now)?

Possible solutions:
3. More marsh!!

I thought you might like this AP: ;) Have 5 marsh in my starting area and surroundings.

Attachments

• India.JPG
    India.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 193
Gotta love that starting area, don't anticipate any difficulties whatsoever in being the most populous civ by 1400 with all that jungle :crazyeye:

I'm actually thinking that jungles in India starts might have been slightly excessive here. Just went through 4 starts as India and in many of them I am literally boxed in by jungle. In that first game above I was willing to play it until Carthage spawned right above me and took my coastal area.

Attachments

• India 1.JPG
    India 1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 200
  • India 2.JPG
    India 2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 142
yeah India would at least be playable if food resources under jungles would be improvable.

We need less deserts, more food resources. At least 2 food resources in the capital BFC.

There seems to be a lot of desert in that mediterranean/caribbean region. Maybe I just need to play more maps.

And what are the pines doing next to the jungles?

Top Bottom