Random or planned gameplay?

Oberon Blade

Chieftain
Greetings all.

Like several of you, I've preloaded Civ V from steam and are scouting this and the offical forum for info on the game. I see some polls about what civ to start with and such, but I am curious about something else.

What do you plan to do on your first game? I mean what settings will you go for? will you pick and select all the things you can, like civ, number of citystates, other civs, mapsize, maptype, difficulty level and such, or will you just go for the lowest amount of choices and leave the rest to the default settings?

For me I will do the following.

I pick huge map and marathon game. Then I press play. I dont select the civ I want to play, but let the randomness handle that for me. I probably set it to prince in difficulty level as well, and then I play from start to finish.

I doubt I win the game as the victory conditions might not be what I am strong at doing, but it is a randomness to it and it gives me a chance to play a civ I might not play otherwise and adopt other strategies. Also being forced to play a starting location that might not be optimal. But I will play until 2050 or until I either win or lose the game.

What do you plan to do for your first playthrough. How much of the settings will you change before you press play?

I'm going to do the tutorial first, and then hit Play Now! and let it do all that setup work. After the play now game is under my belt, I'll play a custom game on a standard world on a higher difficulty (depending on how my first game went) and a random civ (as always).

My Brother (RNevermore) and I have been waiting together for ages. We gunna start with a mutiplayer game with non-simultaneous turns on Huge/Marathon and 2 Human Players 8 AI, continents most likely, hopefully starting on separate ones.
I hope he doesnt culture farm me...

But I am going to do a Single Player game as well, when he is at work that will either be India or Greece...

Im going to pick the largest map size, huge, pick continents, pick england, put down maximum AI Civ's and Maximum City States, choose King difficulty, and Marathon speed, and see how I fare :D.

I'm going to select bees as my civilization and make honey all over the map.

I'm going to select bees as my civilization and make honey all over the map.

I audibly giggled and it made me feel funny. :(

On topic, I plan on nitpicking the settings for my first game. I don't want too many city-states, but would rather have quite a few large Civs. Noble or Warlord difficulty, all Victory conditions enabled (except maybe Time). Playing as either Songhai or Iroquois.

I figure default settings will be pretty well setup and balanced for a good match, and see no reason to do anything radical til I know the game a bit, so I'll go with that. Still undecided on whether to go with a random civ and wing it or pick something. Probably random it to avoid one of my typical Civ IV type civ/leader choices. I'd likely play epic speed since normal has always felt too fast and things obsolete too fast, and whatever the basic/normal diff is, like noble.

I think I'll actually start on settler difficulty just to learn the new mechanics. By 500-800AD I'll likely be bored of the difficulty level and will then start a new game. This game will be my real first game as I'll be educated enough to set up perameters that I'll really enjoy.

I'll be playing the French on Prince, and seeing if my social policy rush strat can really work. Def large map, or whatever is one step down from the absolute largest. If it does work, I'll bump the difficulty up to King or Immortal for next game depending on how dominant I was able to be. I don't see Prince being much of a challenge, but I need some basic questions answered first, as one wrong move in King or higher can be the beginning of the end.:crazyeye:

Not marathon for sure: I don't want to wear my "enter" figure out, having to end turns every 2 seconds :). Epic (or equivalent) speed, likely a pangaea map, just to get a feel for the land game first the maybe a continents maps (I might just wait until we get a PerfectWorld3 script :) ) to try naval warfare. Default citystates, Chieftain or Warlord difficulty (no ragequits for the first game). I'm going to play Greece, I want to see how hard it would be to ally with ALL the city states and Greece would be best equipped to do that. Other that that, I won't mess with the rest: I'll leave the victory conditions at default to see how each one would work.

Marathon Speed (Is there a way to play that isn't marathon?) or equivilent, Japan, Prince, Largest Map Size, max civs/city states, heading for a savage military victory :D

The goal is to get at least one game under my belt before I start modding.

I can't understand all the hurry that many players seem to have.

Everybody here is eagerly waiting to play but come on, you can also start with the demo and then buy the game so I see no reason to be anxious asking for this and that.

You have months in front of you so you are plenty of time for taking decisions on choosing this and that....

Everytime I start a game in Civ V, I am going to try and make everything that I can random.

I don't want get stuck with a favorite strategy. In this Civ, I need to learnhow to be more flexible and able to react better to how the game plays out with different strategies.

What I am wondering is, what difficulty level will you pick in comparison to your previous one?

To me it seems many pick Prince (where all is even and fair).

I still remember when CIV IV came out and a friend of mine and me we picked 1 level below the one we were used to from CIV III and got horribly slaugthered! :D (very early on ;) )
"Ok, so this game IS different than CIV III" :crazyeye:

Now I have had all my last games in CIV IV on deity, although I never managed to win (getting close often enough though to keep me trying ^^)

So I will probably (as I always like a challenge) go for:
-King
-Random Civ
-Large map
- Marathon
- all CIVs :D

Top Bottom