Random Rants 75: This is Bat Country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The person who wants a computer and has money to buy one is not paying for a phone.
The person who wants a phone can not afford the ongoing cost.
So the person with the computer would not be paying for the phone since someone else would be paying.

Then the person got a phone so he could connect his computer in June 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Internet

I got my phone in 1991 but mostly phoned it rather than phoned out.
What phone did you have in 1991, for me, the first phone I had was 1998, and it was ALCATEL

My parents had basic phone service when I was growing up, and they still have that same home phone number I remember from my childhood! Our service was from Bell Canada.

I remember when caller ID first started, but you didn't have a display, you had to push *69 or something, and you'd get the last number who called you. I didn't know about this yet, and my sister and I were both very young and we decided to call random phone numbers and sing nursery rhymes. Well someone called us back, and she and I were both terrified because my father answered, and we got in so much trouble ... we never tried anything like that again! Oh and then I remember when my parents got their first display phone and how amazing we thought that was, like it was just this totally awesome thing that wouldn't just tell you what number was calling, but would even give you their name!

And I got my first computer when I was in seventh grade, my father got a bonus from work and he spent thousands of dollars on a 486 with 4 mb of ram, I don't even remember what brand, I don't think it exists, but it was that kind where the tower was flat and your monitor sat on top. But we had CD rom and Windows, and my first ever computer game was Colonization, but you had to play from DOS. And like about a year later we got our first modem, it's the kind that dials using your phone line, so I lived through that whole thing where you can't use the phone and computer at the same time. So my father bought another phone line just for our computer, and later he added a fax machine. And do you remember when this program first came out that let you resume your downloads? That was so incredibly amazing!

My first cell phone was a pink razr when I was about 23 years old and living in Georgia.

Half way through translating the shadow over innsmouth (15k out of roughly 30k words). Not helped by not liking the story. There are some rather crude refferences to a couple of poe's stories. Starting dialogue was imo the worst part of the story, along with the few paragraphs that preceded it.

Half way through translating the shadow over innsmouth (15k out of roughly 30k words). Not helped by not liking the story. There are some rather crude refferences to a couple of poe's stories. Starting dialogue was imo the worst part of the story, along with the few paragraphs that preceded it.

I read some Lovecraft back when I used to referee Call of Cthulhu rpg. Can't say I liked the writing but describing the indescribale is difficult I suppose.

And I got my first computer when I was in seventh grade, my father got a bonus from work and he spent thousands of dollars on a 486 with 4 mb of ram, I don't even remember what brand, I don't think it exists, but it was that kind where the tower was flat and your monitor sat on top. But we had CD rom and Windows, and my first ever computer game was Colonization, but you had to play from DOS. And like about a year later we got our first modem, it's the kind that dials using your phone line, so I lived through that whole thing where you can't use the phone and computer at the same time. So my father bought another phone line just for our computer, and later he added a fax machine. And do you remember when this program first came out that let you resume your downloads? That was so incredibly amazing!

My first cell phone was a pink razr when I was about 23 years old and living in Georgia.

The first computers I used was a BBC Micro with BASIC and a main frame a couple of time using Fortran at University in the early 80s.
When I worked in a Civil Engineering design office we had computers for design and just as I was leaving they got one with CAD on it. On site where I Have mostly worked we did not get computers until the mid 90s. I bought a good programmable calculator in the late 80s to produce information with which to build parts of a road and the clients staff had to go to their head office to check on their main frame that we were building the road in the correct place.

The first computer I bought was a Compaq Armada E500 in 1999, with 256mb RAM and 12G hard drive. Lots of Civ 3 played on that.

hhhh, your mother was scared of the phone, it also happens with my grandmother when I put the kit the first time, he thought I was going to speak with my self

Well she was a bit confused when the person speaking started fast forwarding.:lol::mischief::lol:

Pcs killed the amiga.
Though not the amstrad (my first computer). That one died on its own due to being trash & allan sugar should burn in 8-bit hell.
Even nintendo's game boy was better than utter garbage amstrad.

Small rant: I have a headache and other pains but my dexterity is shot today and i can't get the stupid cap off the ibuprofen. I forgot to get the pharmacist to put it in an easier container.

Small rant: I have a headache and other pains but my dexterity is shot today and i can't get the stupid cap off the ibuprofen. I forgot to get the pharmacist to put it in an easier container.
I hate childproof caps. Those may or may not be proof against children, but they are definitely proof against people with arthritis and other afflictions that make grasping and twisting hard.

After a couple of incidents with my pharmacy, I finally phoned the pharmacist, reminded him that I'd requested non-childproof caps, and told him the next time my prescriptions arrived in childproof containers, I would phone him every time I needed one opened, day or night, and he could come here and open them for me.

Ever since, they've arrived in non-childproof containers. And they should anyway, since there aren't any children living here (on the scale of cat-years to human years, Maddy is older than I am).

edit 19th of December

Spoiler :

typical r16 with all the silliness you might need for the day .

Moderator Action: This is spam. Don't do this. ~ Arakhor

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate childproof caps. Those may or may not be proof against children, but they are definitely proof against people with arthritis and other afflictions that make grasping and twisting hard.

After a couple of incidents with my pharmacy, I finally phoned the pharmacist, reminded him that I'd requested non-childproof caps, and told him the next time my prescriptions arrived in childproof containers, I would phone him every time I needed one opened, day or night, and he could come here and open them for me.

Ever since, they've arrived in non-childproof containers. And they should anyway, since there aren't any children living here (on the scale of cat-years to human years, Maddy is older than I am).

My pharmacist is good about putting them in the non-childproof caps ever since I started on the l-dopa. The ibuprofen was bought over-the-counter though and I'd just completely forgotten to ask them to switch bottles for me.

Cold weather stinks. :(

Rant: I just lost my ride down to the neurologist. Now I have to cancel.

EDIT: It turns out the neurologist had moved anyways to someplace else and my appointment was canceled already. Nobody informed me about this. Or maybe it got lost with all the postal strikes.

Theyre sending a new appointment in a letter in the mail but it might be two or more months away. I don't know if I can do it much longer. What little sleep I manage to get is constantly broken because i have to get up after six hours to take the damn pills, so I was planning to ask about going on something extended-release.

ANOTHER EDIT: All the snow is supposed to melt before Christmas. I guess that even having a white Christmas is too much. :sad:

Last edited:
While my own lectures have various faults - also because i dislike public speaking- i am always horrified when i attend events where others speak. Tonight was one such case. All three speakers read from long texts (at least i dont read; have rehearsed a speech). It was very boring, and i didnt form the view that the topic meant much either.
2 hours wasted :/

Just found out that the family doctor that was accepting new patients took my mother, but not me. :(

Cold weather stinks. :(
And here in hot weather I stink, and not just metaphorically.
Rant: I just lost my ride down to the neurologist. Now I have to cancel.

EDIT: It turns out the neurologist had moved anyways to someplace else and my appointment was canceled already. Nobody informed me about this. Or maybe it got lost with all the postal strikes.

Theyre sending a new appointment in a letter in the mail but it might be two or more months away. I don't know if I can do it much longer. What little sleep I manage to get is constantly broken because i have to get up after six hours to take the damn pills, so I was planning to ask about going on something extended-release.

ANOTHER EDIT: All the snow is supposed to melt before Christmas. I guess that even having a white Christmas is too much. :sad:
If your body can take it and it is available you should consider extended-release pills. It works.

Just found out that the family doctor that was accepting new patients took my mother, but not me. :(
Unless your mother is having more medical issues/worse ones than you are, that's unethical.

There isn't much I can do about it, though.

Rant: I was out doing errands. I got a drink out of a fountain at a store to take my medication and noticed that there were no straws. I thought that they were just behind the counter. But no, they'd taken away the straws because of concerns about "plastic waste." (To the best of my knowledge, there's no actual ban on them here.) Which would be nice, except that I have a disability and need straws to properly drink without spilling everything all down my front or accidentally choking. Couldn't they have just put one box of them behind the counter in case someone asked for them?

I wish I could've said I just walked away, but I had to take my medication. (And yes, my drink spilled down my front.) I guess I won't be going to that place for a drink again. And I'll start carrying a reusable straw in my purse in case it comes up again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom