Random Rants 75: This is Bat Country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that you stopped eating there? ;)

Er, well...

Pissy inconsequential video game related rant:

So I get to the final level of the game. Beat all the challenges, get to (what I assume is) the final boss. Watch cutscenes. Final boss starts attacking. Get through a few stages of it, die a couple of times but no problem, learning its pattern. Get to stage in which boss is fully shielded. No problem, take the action needed to break the shield. Boss clips straight through the floor and doesn't reappear. Nothing in the arena with which to kill myself, no restart from checkpoint button. Had to return to hub area and will now have to play entire final level again.

Game has been out for over a year and has 'Overwhelmingly Positive' reviews on Steam.

Let it be known that in the year of our Lord, two thousand and nineteen, I am upset about video games.

You'd better do something about the sleeping, or else, if you ever have chidlren, you'll be in for an even rougher time than is usual. Or hotels for work trips or holidays…
Being a lifelong insomniac actually made that aspect of parenthood easier. I'm just too used to not having enough sleep for it to make much difference.

I have to go to work for the first time in two weeks and I really don't want to. Oh well, that's life. At least I got paid for this time off - that's a newish feature of my life.

Oh no, I hope you were able to get some rest @Synsensa!

I'm also back to work today, I was off for almost three weeks, and I'm not especially happy. My time off feels like it was long, but I just don't feel ready to go back yet, which is weird for me. When I normally take my two week vacations, I often feel very energized and wanting to go back during my second week, but not this time.

Am I a bad person if when I'm thinking about having a baby, my thoughts keep going to a longing for those 16 weeks off with full pay?

The quick answer is "NO" you're not a bad person.

I'm also back to work today, I was off for almost three weeks, and I'm not especially happy. My time off feels like it was long, but I just don't feel ready to go back yet, which is weird for me. When I normally take my two week vacations, I often feel very energized and wanting to go back during my second week, but not this time.

Am I a bad person if when I'm thinking about having a baby, my thoughts keep going to a longing for those 16 weeks off with full pay?

You might instead feel sad that all you get are those 16 weeks.

I don't know many people who are especially happy with their jobs. When they want to go back to work, it's usually for the abstract concept of labour instead of specifically their job.

Well I'd like him to go to sleep eventually, but can't he stay awake with me for just like even ten minutes, just to enjoy? I mean I only get about a half dozen seconds of cuddling bliss, lol! That's just not enough for me.

I don't think he has to worry about his snoring, he's not terribly loud or anything, just like normal snoring. I make him sleep on his right side, so he's facing away from me, and I also make him wear a breathe-right strip on his nose. With all that, and my sound machine, he normally doesn't bother me. But I'm an incredibly sensitive sleeper, everything has to be absolutely perfect, like even a tiny thing wrong with my bed will keep me up all night. That's why I use a fourteen inch memory foam mattress, and I wash my sheets every weekend, and I need my pillows fluffed up, and I have to have my sound machine (I take that with me when I travel), I can't have any lights on, I need my ceiling fan (and I go crazy if it's making a clicking noise), I can't have a ticking clock anywhere nearby, I have to be facing my window, and on and on.

you'll never be satisfied with these kinds of issues, it's 2 peoples' different needs pitted against each other. I'm the opposite extreme. I always go to bed last, I have a long, good, think for at least half an hour and then usually read some more. my girlfriend never gets to see me fall asleep. most of the time she goes to bed two or three hours before I do, anyway. In these scenarios, only compromises will work :) So for example we have one day (at least) a week where we go to bed at the same time.

I don't think he has to worry about his snoring, he's not terribly loud or anything, just like normal snoring. I make him sleep on his right side, so he's facing away from me, and I also make him wear a breathe-right strip on his nose. With all that, and my sound machine, he normally doesn't bother me. But I'm an incredibly sensitive sleeper, everything has to be absolutely perfect, like even a tiny thing wrong with my bed will keep me up all night. That's why I use a fourteen inch memory foam mattress, and I wash my sheets every weekend, and I need my pillows fluffed up, and I have to have my sound machine (I take that with me when I travel), I can't have any lights on, I need my ceiling fan (and I go crazy if it's making a clicking noise), I can't have a ticking clock anywhere nearby, I have to be facing my window, and on and on.

god that sounds positively awful :lol:

I can sleep while there's a jackhammer going off next to my ear no problem. I slept on a kitchen table once, no sheets no pillows.

when I lived in Korea I slept on the floor with a sleeping bad serving as both pillow and blanket.

Er, well...
I really have been rewatchign all four Matrix films too much, haven't I?
I can't sleep tonight.
Think that you'll have to endure my postings once again and your brain will shut down in response.
The bad persons are those who give you only 16 weeks.

I slept on a kitchen table once, no sheets no pillows.

I occasionally have weird bouts of sleepwalking (plan to ask my neuro about it). I once awoke on the kitchen counter, kind of wedged in between the countertop and upper cabinet. I have no idea how I managed to get in there, but getting out was quite an effort.

My company took away some of our holiday PTO which is effectively a pay cut.

I am super pissed off about it. I had to walk away from my desk when I read the email.

America is already behind the rest of the world when it comes to PTO and benefits. Seems reasonable to dislike having that scaled back further in a supposedly lucrative and booming industry that pays for the best.

You better clear your plate of those PTO days, there are starving kids in Africa, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom