Random Rants 91 - Semiprimal Rage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amadeus, Aug 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. haroon

haroon Deity

I got threw out from Madrasah in Turkey due to that loool they ask me if I can stop, told them no, then they ask me if I have the intention to stop, another no from me, then hos cakal gule gule.

Sofista likes this.
  2. Sofista

Sofista Deity

:hug: :smoke:

haroon likes this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

:/
    It seems that the approach to having a discount to the seminars up to the final week when you can still buy, means that virtually everyone will buy before that final week. Maybe from the marketing side it is a wise decision, but only if you really are fine with the cost of the seminar being that with the discount (I am not :) ).
    While I can accept that fewer people would have bought at the full price, I still wonder if the final pay wouldn't be (at worst) the same, and at least wouldn't create the usual desert of no buying in the final week.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Okay, how friggin' selfish can people get? Right now I don't know who to be more angry with - the seniors' centre or my housekeeping helper.

She refuses to get vaccinated. She's full of conspiracy theories and BS about how it's so unsafe for everyone (I've been double-vaxxed since July and other than the extra kick it gave me with pain and fatigue, I'm fine now), and keeps yapping about "freedom" and "my body, my choice."

No, she's not a right-wing fundamentalist; she votes NDP. But this just shows that selfishness and stupidity know no political boundaries.

So the problem... At a board meeting at the seniors' centre, they adopted a requirement for all of their staff, volunteers, and outreach people to be double-vaxxed by the end of the year.

That's not unreasonable, since these people work with seniors and disabled younger adults (like me).

However... anyone not presenting proof of vaccination (or presumably a valid medical exemption) by that deadline will be dropped. They can keep their clients, but the clients will no longer receive a subsidy in paying for services.

For me that would mean losing about $300/year in rebates (because I'm on a disability benefit) if I keep on with this person. I realize that doesn't sound like much to most people here, but for someone in my shoes, it's a lot.

I could switch to someone else, but that would mean a new person, someone who wouldn't do the extras or necessarily do things my way. Plus, I have to think of Maddy - I've had housekeeping help before where they made it clear that they basically regard cats as vermin, and were not nice to my cats.

So I have to choose between my rebate (and possibly getting a new person who's horrible to deal with) and the person who has been my helper for the last 6-7 years, who's helped with the cats (took me to the vet when Chloe died, and looked after Maddy when I was in the hospital for 2 weeks).

I really wish she'd just do the unselfish thing and get vaccinated. But my life would be less manageable without her.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Do you know what her position on abortion is?

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It sounds like the senior's center is being significantly more selfish than your housekeeper, considering they are undermining an otherwise consensual, previously established business relationship without clear evidence for why it's required in this case (as opposed to testing etc).

7. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Yeah, so I watched your last video, TMIT, it was great. Do you still do these anymore ?
    Or shall we all watch NukeTheStars as an alternative ?

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I haven't done Civ 4 other than a couple steam games in years. If I return to doing videos or streams, it'd be Dominions 5 MP, ~diamond level rocket league play (doubtful anybody would care to see that), or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (which I am pretty good at these days: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/themeinteam.html ).

BornInCantaloup likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

"Grateful people are happy people; those that aren't, aren't."

haroon likes this.
  10. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

I respect the old school games, but I, indeed, do not know those.
    Glad to know some of your interests, though. Cheers, I hope you have a good time.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It seems that the site now automatically updates the quoted message of the other person, when that is changed. I think this isn't a good development (due to ghost-editing, as well as general editing). In the past the quoted message in your post stayed the same, even after the original post was updated. I think the change must be cancelled, since now many quoted posts will appear unintelligible :p

12. Samson

Samson Deity

I think this only happens when the post is edited between the time the quoter originally loads the page and the point the quoter presses "reply". If the post is edited after the reply has been posted the reply is not changed (I am adding this text to see if it appears changed in your reply).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I don't think this is the case now - it was in the past. Maybe @Birdjaguar can help.

14. Samson

Samson Deity

I have edited my post above, and you reply has not changed.

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Horse's mouth sucks ^_^
    I guess it was a ninja-edit and I didn't care to look at the quoted post since I didn't expect it to change.

16. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

It's better to just admit defeat and give up before the deadline than half-assing it and fail at the end, right

Any notions to the contrary or

17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Depends on what. If you need to pass an exam with a minimum grade, then half-assing it might very well do it.

18. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

Well so
    1. Half-assing is probably far overstating the effort I've put in and am able to put in
    2. I don't know if passing with just minimum grade is worth it. I really doubt it
    3. I thought I had a third one
    Also, I've already given up on one subject become I felt I couldn't do it, and like,
    I need to do something about mental health rubbish. I don't know what. But being terrible in an important subject is probably not it

I really suck. I wonder if the answer is that I'm a lazy sod that just doesn't want to do it

19. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

I've got a third subject i kinda want to drop the previously mentioned one to focus on

This third one I feel safer about Half-assing for decent results

(Also on my general question i originally asked, like I remember doing it once in monopoly lol, which you know I don't regret i guess)

20. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I've droppet a subject this semester too. I'll do it next year. It'll cause an inconvenience for me for sure, but I just didn't have the time and energy required so yeah.