Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed over a ladder leading to the belltower a thousand times. When I saw a Let's Play video of that part, I facepalmed so hard. I can't believe how stupid I gotta be to miss the ladder.

pretty much.

if i had to compare how similar it was to other civ games (that i've played), it would go like this:
civ2 - 30%
civ3 - 10%
civ4 - 10%

it's not a good thing it reminds me most of civ2.

Eh, Civ5 reminds me more of Civ4 than it does of Civ3. Not much, but a little.

It is very bad that it's not Civ4, or Civ3, though.

Civ5 without Brave New World is not good. With Brave New World it is fantastic.

This. I don't know how could I extensively play vanilla (I barely played G&K). I mean I thought it was a good game, but now I look back and it was so bare. It was such a big nothing compared to BNW.

Well, as per usual with Firaxis expansions, really. It happened with Civ4, I bet Takh can vouch that the very same probably happened with Civ3. It usually goes as this:

Vanillia < First Expansion, usually focused on war, it's an improvement but not much (Warlords, God and Kings) <<<< Second Expansion, which absolutely everyone loves and adores (Beyond The Sword, Brave New World).

Yeah it was true with Civ3 but to a lesser extent. Civ3 had some gaps filled in and some flavor added, a couple cool new features, but the core game was not nearly altered as radically as the civ4 and civ5 xpacs.

Conquests (second expansion) added a lot more to it than Play the World (first) did- PTW didn't do much but add some new civs and an incredibly buggy multiplayer mode. C3C changed the tech tree a bit, added some new units and buildings, and added 2 new traits, among other changes.

For all three of the civ games I've played, they're way better with both expansions than without, but even with Brave New World I don't like Civ5 much and while I mostly love Beyond the Sword, the espionage system and the random events can get really annoying sometimes.

Civ5 eventually grew on me after it was heavily patched, even without the expansions.

The biggest problem with "Play the World" for Civ3 was the central feature of it was supposed to be multiplayer, but they completely and utterly failed at the implementation of it. For people like me who bought the xpac mainly for the new civs and didn't even play multiplayer, it didn't really matter.

Civ5 without Brave New World is not good. With Brave New World it is fantastic.

i bought the entire bundle on sale.

i'm not sure what bnw added but there are some pretty big, subtle changes they've made to the franchise. i won't try to drag this out too long but we'll see:

1. one unit per tile/no stacking - been covered (presumably) to death. while interesting at first (all adjectives/adverbs reflect my opinion), it kinda becomes annoying, especially in tight spaces and when it comes to worker actions (you can't just stack workers to build something faster; that's annoying).

2. paradigm shift away from "land is power" - in games 3 & 4, you could not really compete effectively without trying to land a lot of land. in 5, they've made a decision to downplay "land is power" in a few ways. one way (which i almost consider a mockery to the 4x genre) is by introducing a civ who can't even build settlers (venice). moreover, it seems that some ai are completely content not building any cities until like the industrial age. it seems that the only reason you need to expand now is to get to resources that you currently do not have, as you can have all the science, commerce, and military come out of one city. furthermore, the "you need x in all cities" wonders are a reflection of the change in gameplay.

3. a bunch of little tweaks that i don't like: getting rid of sliders, zone of control (effing civ2 thing), massive unhappiness bonus you get for conquering (which can completely ream your civ if you do it early enough), units form their own boats, etc.

i need to play a bit more before i know whether these peeves of mine are really real or are just from me being salty. but it seems to becoming more and more the latter. :\

I've always thought Civ5 was similar to Civ3, at least before BNW, due to what I thought was the simplicity of it. I didn't like vanilla Civ5 too much, felt kinda bland; G&K definitely helped add some flavor, though, and though I really haven't played BNW much my mipression is that for all its faults it does as well.

My phone was supposed to get here today. It looks like that isn't happening, so I'm gonna have to wait until Monday. Thinking it almost would have been worth another trip west just to go get it.

The worst of them is not being Civ3.
FTFY.
I must be the stupidest person to ever play New Vegas.
Given the sheer numbers of players the game has drawn, that is statistically unlikely.
Can't you go somewhere ontopic to discuss that?
No. You see, you mods insisted on having Off-Topic gobble up Arts & Literature Entertainment as well as History so now you can't go complaining. :nono:
My phone was supposed to get here today. It looks like that isn't happening, so I'm gonna have to wait until Monday. Thinking it almost would have been worth another trip west just to go get it.
It must be the evil Kansians at work.

My brother is turning into the (ex-)Buddhist flavor of the "I'm euphoric because I'm enlightened by my own intelligence" "facts > silly philosiphy sux" sort of young adult atheist who thinks they've finally understood how th world works unlike all those sheeple. Throw that in with my mother being a very, very, very devout and religious Buddhist, bordering on new age hippie cult-like thinking sometimes, and we have a very toxic combination. Jaysus.

Reason is unreasonable.

I truly hate garage door keypads that don't work and leave you out in the cold for 45 minutes.

Also, I've had a good song lodged firmly in my head for nearly a week. Maybe more. It's overstayed its welcome and with each mental replaying, the quality drops.

Go to Spotify or YouTube, man. Or Grooveshark. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom