Random Rants LVIII: Wassamatta U... Ah Shaddap you face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life would be lovely if I could selectively suppress my emotions when they are being irrational.

Life would be lovely if I could selectively suppress my emotions when they are being irrational.

Emotions are irrational by definition.

It also doesn't take suppressing them to not let them drive. My emotions express all the time, and my calculator calculates, and my body gets me where I want to be...but I steer this ship, always. Okay, almost always.

But are your emotions really being irrational or are they telling you what you need to hear?

Emotions are irrational by definition.
I read somewhere they're actually crucial to decision-making. There was a case of someone with damage to the amygdala being completely paralyzed when it came to simple decisions.

But are your emotions really being irrational or are they telling you what you need to hear?
Probably the former, since I keep insisting to myself a perceived slight was just a coincidence. Doesn't seem to actually soothe the anger I'm feeling.

As if that ever works. The fact that they are crucial to decision-making doent mean they are rational either. Isnt making actually rational decisions the most difficult thing?

What sort of rational person would come to CFC?

I read somewhere they're actually crucial to decision-making. There was a case of someone with damage to the amygdala being completely paralyzed when it came to simple decisions.

Probably the former, since I keep insisting to myself a perceived slight was just a coincidence. Doesn't seem to actually soothe the anger I'm feeling.

Crucial to decision making has nothing to do with rationality, any more than teeth chewing the food that provides nutrients to your brain means that your teeth do your thinking.

Sounds to me like your emotion generators are working fine. You perceived a slight. Anger is the appropriate response. If your perception mechanism is faulty, fix it. Suppressing appropriate anger just breeds more anger.

…and your path to the Dark Side will be complete!

Achievement Unlocked!

Crucial to decision making has nothing to do with rationality, any more than teeth chewing the food that provides nutrients to your brain means that your teeth do your thinking.

Sounds to me like your emotion generators are working fine. You perceived a slight. Anger is the appropriate response. If your perception mechanism is faulty, fix it. Suppressing appropriate anger just breeds more anger.

Hellll yeah. All kinds of body chemistry and psychology can affect this. When I'm a certain kind of tired, like burnt, I take things way more personally. When I was younger it was worse, went on thyroid drugs as a kid made me feel way better—I stopped taking things so personally because I had the energy to not have to be defensive.

If your perception mechanism is faulty, fix it. Suppressing appropriate anger just breeds more anger.

I just said I knew it was a coincidence. The rational part of my mind knew that.

This is old news by now, but earlier today I learned, as did the world, that the plane crash of the Germanwings Barcelona-Dusseldorf flight was the result of the copilot's conscious efforts after being left alone and locking up the cockpit.

What the hell drives someone to do such a thing? Not kill oneself, but to take 149 lives with one's own.

Good grief. Are spare tyres normally that expensive?

No. But all of my tires were somewhat on the old side. I hadn't intended to replace them for a while. But they would have needed it sometime in the near future. This just hastened that along. So I have a full set of new tires on the car now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom