1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Leonel, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My upthread <nvm> comment was something pretty negative about that joke but I decided to just ignore it. I know it's meant in jest but it wasn't funny to me.

2. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I know there's several forum users whom have passed away. Wasn't trying to poke fun of that in any way, I didn't intend that connection at all. Just bantering and whatnot. Still, I'm sorry if it upset anybody.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Not very many of them any more.

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

First cold of the new year!

5. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

The coldest day of the season coincided with the water heater being broken... and then the heater breaking as well.

3 days into the new year and I am already pretty done with it.

At least I didn't have my night sweats!

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

I dropped by a friend's place once and found out this friend has his own Minecraft server and had pasted together several A4 pages to form an A2-sized map of them. With different colours for each player's holdings. If you can catch a flight then you can show the wife how you're comparatively sane.
    Success!
    Don't worry, I hope you noticed I was posting in Swedish at you.
    *spreads hands*

7. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

My utility knife seems to have gone kaput.

8. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

You can now utilize it as a paperweight!

9. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

It's a Craftsman. Does anyone happen to know whether Sears still honors a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman hand tools?

I don't think it would be heavy enough to serve as an effective paperweight. In the rare occasions when I do need a paperweight, I just use a heavy book.

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Sears has a pretty bad reputation these days, but there's no reason you can't contact their customer service department and ask.

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Craftsman non-powered tools have a lifetime warranty.

12. Valka D'Ur

Two issues.

1. There was a fire alarm in my building today (happened in the middle of one of my posts here). No idea why, the fire department came, investigated, finally turned off the alarm, and left. I hope we're not getting another round of false alarms (not that I want a real fire).

2. I've been emailing with my aunt (mom's sister). I mentioned NaNoWriMo, and now she wants to read my stories.

Problem: My aunt is very religious. My stories are in the science fiction and fantasy RPG genres. The SF stories contain a lot of swearing (enough that I can't post them on CFC), and references to out-of-wedlock sex and procreation (don't blame me; it's fanfiction based on the books by F.M. Busby, and he's the one who decided all this; I'm just writing the stuff that is a logical extrapolation of "what happened before/next/much later").

As for the RPG stories, I'm sure my aunt would just love reading about characters who are very sincere, faithful pantheists who see nothing wrong with marching into a room and killing people or monsters if that's what it takes to get the treasure. And that's with me modifying the original authors' more mercenary outlook on the characters.

I'm going to have to write something else, that's not so... "not what my aunt wouldn't like."

Time to dust off that Fuzzy Knights story I was working on, maybe. She might go for a story about sentient plush toys, if I don't have any killing going on. The only other story on the go is a crossover between The Handmaid's Tale and Sliders, and I'm fairly sure that would go over like a lead balloon.

:undecide:

13. dusters

dusters Emperor

I guess she would know that Shakespeare had a lot of extramarital affairs and killing going on. It is just how drama or realistic stories are written. Fairytales without killing usually don't exist either.

14. Valka D'Ur

Sorry, I'm not sure how Shakespeare fits into this. :confused:

Fairytales - at least the ones by Grimm and/or Hans Christensen Andersen - are the stuff of nightmares. There's one of them that made me scared to death of mud puddles for a couple of years.

15. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Ah, but that's historical! It's not the same thing.

16. Valka D'Ur

I'm still not sure what Shakespeare has to do with this. :confused: I haven't written anything based on Shakespeare other than essays in high school and college, and a couple of sonnets in my high school creative writing class. That was almost 40 years ago.

Dusters, I wonder if you might have associated The Handmaid's Tale with Shakespeare, when it's really Chaucer you meant?

Either way, it's incorrect. The Handmaid's Tale is by Margaret Atwood, and it's a near-future dystopian novel depicting life in the eastern U.S. under a really bizarre theocratic government.

Not-so-fun fact: There's a TV series based on the novel, coming to Hulu this year (not sure about the start date). This has me absolutely fuming, because Canadians have no legal way to access Hulu. WTF was Margaret Atwood THINKING, to agree to this? Money must have talked, since respect for her Canadian fans obviously didn't. :mad:

17. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Shakespeare has to do with this that, as The Big Name in English literature of all time, it is assumed your aunt has some familiarity for it. This is my take, at least. I dont think authorship of your sources was ever in the minds of dusters or tolni when writing their posts.

18. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare tho #mythbusting

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The last error report I got from a user (via my supervisor)

"There were a bunch of errors. Can this be fixed?" With no further mention or description of the errors.

I forwarded this to my supervisor and said it was the first facepalm of the year. He doesn't seem to understand.

I am surrounded by idiots

20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Means you're a smart guy ;).
    (we need a facepalm smiley ^^)

What a day...(and not yet over)
    At lunch time one of my best friends told me she'll move away at the end of the month.
    While not a surprise, now it's clear and there's a date.
    I need to move myself probably soon too, and that doesn't help.
    The whole situation makes me already feel rather sad.

And now...yesterday the girl I recently asked out mentioned that they might have dinner tomorrow with a bunch of people.
    Normally I don't join for dinners, because I normally don't cook myself, and therefore there's no chance that I'll reciprocate this favour (that's just how I feel). But last time I promised that I'll join (although she doesn't seem to remember), so I thought I might.
    Today she told a few more people (apparently there's a ton of food).
    She was talking to one of my other colleagues that if he comes, that he then shouldn't make a joke to one of the guys about something we recently had a discussion about, because it's the guy she's currently dating.
    Yeah, great. I'm fine with getting rejected (okay, not really, but I can deal with it), but why do you invite me to something where the guy is present, who's apparently better than me? Why?
    (obviously I'll definitely not join)
    -> I'm not feeling great right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.