1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants LXVII: Emptiness = Melancholia*Cheerlessness^2

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Snerk, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I don't consider it a 'coherent ethical framework.'

Lenin and Hitler believed that the arc of the universe bent toward communism or the master race. Why should we treat modern progressive ideals as something different?

Moderator Action: This is trolling and transphobic. FP
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You're so edgy dude. Liberals are definitely Hitler.

3. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

OT isn't that bad.

Give me a break.

4. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

...because they are something different? Championing equality and safety for all regardless of identity is much, much different than championing a master race and the extermination of multitudes.

5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

It's amazing how the arc of the universe when viewed from above resembles the flow of a toilet.

Catharsis likes this.
  6. Mouthwash

Yeah, they're different internally. But from an outside perspective, you're basically saying that a particular zeitgeist is going to rule the future, unlike the zeitgeist of a few decades ago. It's cause for suspicion, at the very least.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

This is intentionally dishonest at best. If your outside perspective on progressive philosophy is that it's the same as the Third Reich and the gulags, you are either being informed by extremely spurious sources or you are consciously going out of your way to paint the world through the lenses of radical actors. There is a difference between someone saying their way is the way and noticing a trend over centuries of human advancement. So far, there's been a gradual tick towards progressive attitudes (equality between genders, equality between ethnics, recognition of previously dismissed mental illnesses as genuine states of being). Will that change? Maybe. There are certainly people who want it to. Right now it doesn't seem like that will happen, at least on a societal level.

8. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Stupid windows decided to install 176 updates, at a rate of 1 update every 3-5 minutes. I had to pull out my old winxp dinosaur rig. Still works, except for the CD-Rom, 2 ram slots, the onboard network, the lower PCI port, and the case has no side or top and the top was what held it together....

9. Mouthwash

It's not the same ethically, no.

In my opinion these are due to the influence of colonialism along with economic changes that eliminated the need for a sexual division of labor. There's no guarantee that interactions between cultures will always be this way, or that the economy will always move in the same direction. Nazism and Communism were certainly products of the modern world as well, no?

Consider this: one of the most respected liberal media outlets in the world, Al Jazeera, was founded, financed, and remains owned by a theocratic slave kingdom. Their particular brand of illiberalism appears quite successful.

10. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

correction:3 ram slots are now dead. This fossil is now running on 1GB ram, and my laptop has installed 3 updates since my last post, only 77 more to go. At this rate it will only take annother 6.4 hours, Woo-Hoo! :badcomp::badcomp::badcomp:

11. Synsensa

That doesn't really change what is being suggested. The source of a philosophy is rarely important unless utilized by that source for their own agenda. Progressive theory is still happening whether it was prompted by colonialists seeking that sweet dollar or not. You'll be hard-pressed to find many people today who want equality because of the mustache-twirling of some old white guys a few hundred years ago.

12. Mouthwash

The point is that it is still viable to be a theocratic slave kingdom in the third millennium, and compete with (or exceed) liberal countries.

13. Synsensa

Nobody claimed it wasn't currently viable.

14. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Yoi know I have to strongly agree on Mouthwash's premise about the zeitgeist and whatnot. Even though there has been a trend towards modern liberal ideas, to see it as the arc of history bending is as illusory as thinking that the current form of human is the ultimate pinnacle of evolution. These are teleological narratives that deserve, at least, some measure of skeptical scrutiny.

15. Synsensa

It's not nearly as divine or intrinsic as you're portraying it. When people say history is bending towards progressive philosophy, they don't mean that we are naturally predisposed to that trend or that this is somehow a divine destiny thrust upon our species. It just means that's the established trend. Something can certainly happen that changes this fact. A trend is not guaranteed to be permanent.

We can reasonably expect humanistic values to continue being coaxed into common belief as time goes on based on what we know today and from the past. Whether or not our reasonable expectation will continue to ring true is dependent on a plethora of factors and we must of course be vigilant towards that chance. It is not unreasonable to portray history as having a lean towards progressive philosophy in the past five hundred to seven hundred years.

16. Mouthwash

I wouldn't dispute that the trend will very probably continue for the next couple of decades. What I'm taking issue with is Perfection's claim that it will win out in the end.

Here's why that's a bad assumption to make, by analogy to a turkey:

17. Synsensa

Luckily for humans, historical and societal trends are not Thanksgiving turkeys.

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Neither was the turkey on day 1 through 1000.

19. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Stupid laptop. Still updating.:badcomp:

20. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

So, eggs'n'bacon, yea or nay.
    Yes, I always remember you've said your cats are your children. But you still have the other one and the world is not lost. :hug:
    If we move the shouting at the void to other threads I might accrue permanent postcount, making my total postcount grow. I approve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.