Random Rants LXVIII: Burn it all to the ground and start over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's... probably something you should have put in spoilers.

(By now I'm pretty immured to human depravity but jumping Jesus.)

Last edited:
So I don't remember much if any snow in may here ever, that's why I was surprised it's supposed to snow this weekend. But maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to when snow is usually gone for good.

I'm not surprised about these experiences in Hawaii. When I was in Los Angeles in November one time it was 23C and so I went to the beach to get a bit of a tan and lounge around a bit. It was a very long beach and was in fact called Long Beach. There was almost nobody there. There were some people, mostly joggers, families. Not busy at all. I loved it but I'm sure the most locals would have laughed at me if they saw me
Long Beach has some of the worst beaches in the area due to the tide breaker set up to protect the harbor. It traps all of the garbage and effluent from the area in the surrounding bay.

Anyways, the lack of people at the beach likely had as much to do with the time of day and day of the week as anything. The beaches stay pretty busy year round, generally speaking.

On local acclimatization - I was once in Miami over Christmas and it was in the upper 60's-70's every day. I was in shorts and the locals in downy coats. :lol:

What kind of world are we living in when the only place a guy can go to de-stress is work?

Started a new job which turned out to be worse than my last one which I quit in disgust after five years. I'm gonna keep this one but keep looking for something better.
And my internet at home is down since Friday and I can't reach customer support.
Well, time to change the provider.

What kind of world are we living in when the only place a guy can go to de-stress is work?
I dunno, I knew a bloke who worked in a net-café that hosted LAN parties for gamers back in the day… what happened? Five-year-olds occupying bed street again?

Estonia. 9th of May 2017.
**** this planet and what we've done to it's climate.

My basic knowledge of Finno-Ugric languages allows me to make the following statement.

VITT!
Nah, just general chaos associated with having two kids, one of which being a baby.
This is the age at which you wish you could pay them to go away.

Yes, exactly. To places full of future boyfriends and strange friends who'll make them engage in dangerous activities such as playing civ.

I met a cute grad student through Habitat last month who seemed interested in me. We have corresponded on Facebook a bit. Most of it is just about keeping her up to date on the progress of our build and the schedule for upcoming work days when she might want to join us again. (We also had an interesting exchange somewhat related to her research on Star Wars day.) In my last message, I suggested that since this Saturday's build was cancelled the two of us should spend some time together getting to know each other outside of Habitat.

She replied that she can't wait to see the progress on the house and is definitely looking forward to working with us again, but completely ignored the rest of my message. I don't know if I ought to be more explicit that I was asking her out on a date, or just assume she is only cares about the volunteer opportunities and back away so things don't get awkward next time she joins us on site.

-----

I really should be focused on completing some job applications rather than thinking about her.

I met a cute grad student through Habitat last month who seemed interested in me. We have corresponded on Facebook a bit. Most of it is just about keeping her up to date on the progress of our build and the schedule for upcoming work days when she might want to join us again. (We also had an interesting exchange somewhat related to her research on Star Wars day.) In my last message, I suggested that since this Saturday's build was cancelled the two of us should spend some time together getting to know each other outside of Habitat.

She replied that she can't wait to see the progress on the house and is definitely looking forward to working with us again, but completely ignored the rest of my message. I don't know if I ought to be more explicit that I was asking her out on a date, or just assume she is only cares about the volunteer opportunities and back away so things don't get awkward next time she joins us on site.

-----

I really should be focused on completing some job applications rather than thinking about her.
Well, it sounds like one of two things:

1. You took her by surprise and she's not sure what to think or how to answer; or

2. She's already in a committed relationship and is simply choosing to not get into any explanations.

There are other possibilities, of course. Maybe the next time you see her, you might consider suggesting going for coffee (or whatever non-alcoholic beverage she might like); it's a neutral enough activity in a public place, and the invitation would be the opportunity for her to say if she's already committed, or just not interested.

I'm feeling pretty down

there're some things I've been neglecting to do and now I'm scared to do them

also I think I've developed a sort of phobia of telephone calls

I'm feeling pretty down

there're some things I've been neglecting to do and now I'm scared to do them

also I think I've developed a sort of phobia of telephone calls

Go to a therapist. Most of your posts in this thread remind me of me twelve years ago. You can still salvage your life.

Now about my rant: Day five without proper internet and haven't heard back from my ISP. I have to rely on my phone and limited data. Can't install any new games thanks to Steam and Origin, can't watch youtube because I'd hit the monthly data cap in a few days. It doesn't even make me more productive.. I'm just bored when I'm not at work. I'm also bored at worn, at least they pay me.

Well, it sounds like one of two things:

1. You took her by surprise and she's not sure what to think or how to answer; or

2. She's already in a committed relationship and is simply choosing to not get into any explanations.

There are other possibilities, of course. Maybe the next time you see her, you might consider suggesting going for coffee (or whatever non-alcoholic beverage she might like); it's a neutral enough activity in a public place, and the invitation would be the opportunity for her to say if she's already committed, or just not interested.
I decided to take a more direct approach and just sent this message:
"Was I too subtle with that last line hinting that I'd like to take you out for a date this weekend? It is fine for you to say no, whether too busy, unavailable, or just not interested. I'd hate to make things awkward on site if you only care about the volunteer work and would rather I remain professional. From what I've seen so far though, your personality seems to fit the mold of what I'd like in either a platonic friend or potential lover. Despite the support of my Habitat "work family," I could use more friends of our generation."

I decided to take a more direct approach and just sent this message:
"Was I too subtle with that last line hinting that I'd like to take you out for a date this weekend? It is fine for you to say no, whether too busy, unavailable, or just not interested. I'd hate to make things awkward on site if you only care about the volunteer work and would rather I remain professional. From what I've seen so far though, your personality seems to fit the mold of what I'd like in either a platonic friend or potential lover. Despite the support of my Habitat "work family," I could use more friends of our generation."
Translation: "Were you too stupid to understand that I want to date you this weekend?"

That's not how you meant it, but it's how your first question could be perceived.

Your mention of "potential lover" is downright creepy, especially when you've never even had a casual interaction outside the volunteer work.

Day five without proper internet and haven't heard back from my ISP. I have to rely on my phone and limited data. Can't install any new games thanks to Steam and Origin, can't watch youtube because I'd hit the monthly data cap in a few days. It doesn't even make me more productive.. I'm just bored when I'm not at work. I'm also bored at worn, at least they pay me.
Go to newgrounds and similar places where you can download yourself a nice set of music by people who aren't doing it for the money (as always, if you're into electronic music I'll recommend Hygro, but he's not the only one) and that solves your problem. Or just listen to the radio.

I think I've developed a sort of phobia of telephone calls
It's gotten to the point where I keep my phone off the hook unless I'm expecting a call. I prefer people to email me, as it won't interrupt anything I'm doing, won't wake me up if I'm taking a nap, and doesn't interfere with my ability to let people in the building (the security door/intercom in this building go through the phone, not a wall unit; if I'm on the phone with someone and somebody else wants in to visit or deliver something, I won't even know they're there as the line will give a busy signal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom