Random Rants LXX: CFCOT's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, those godless, overeducated, politically-correct hippies in Brooklyn and Seattle want to deny our natural right to bring our recoilless rifles to the movies.

Y'know, this concealed-carry reciprocity thing is not welcome. I like that drivers' licenses and marriage licenses cross state lines, even though I'm single and don't own a car.
It's baffling to me how a person could be legally married in one state but not another.

But I'm not a "states' rights above all others" kind of guy, and I do not want you to carry a gun anywhere near me. Sorry. Leave it at home when you come to visit. Guns are dangerous and people with guns are more dangerous (and, iirc, in more danger too, at least according to some studies - I'm not sure that part's settled yet, though).
That's how most Canadians feel about American visitors who try to sneak their guns across the border and then squawk about their "rights" when they get caught.

Those rights may apply in the U.S., but they don't apply here. Thank goodness.

Right, those godless, overeducated, politically-correct hippies in Brooklyn and Seattle want to deny our natural right to bring our recoilless rifles to the movies.
I Want my Wombat!

So you can play Wom?

Bloody hell, same here. :(

My mother frustrates me. Today, she calls me in tears because she is scared she is going to die. She said she's be having chest pains and pain going down her arm, so she's afraid she's going to have a heart attack. Here's the part that frustrates me: I told her to go to the ER, she refused. I then told her if she doesn't want to go to the ER she should schedule an appointment with her doctor as soon as possible. She refused that too, claiming that she has a doctor's appointment next month and she'll bring it up then.

Words fail me.

My mother frustrates me. Today, she calls me in tears because she is scared she is going to die. She said she's be having chest pains and pain going down her arm, so she's afraid she's going to have a heart attack. Here's the part that frustrates me: I told her to go to the ER, she refused. I then told her if she doesn't want to go to the ER she should schedule an appointment with her doctor as soon as possible. She refused that too, claiming that she has a doctor's appointment next month and she'll bring it up then.

Words fail me.
If she is still having those pains by the time she gets to the doctor he will send her to the ER anyway.

I know this personally. Yesterday I called a walk in clinic to see if they could help my chest pain and that's what they told me. I don't have the shooting pain down my arm so my primary care doctor will examine me but if I had shooting arm pain they say it's a trip directly to the ER.

Do what you can to get her treatment. Are you close enough to be able to pick her up and take her?

Hahahaha you're still not a real country.
If you mean that, in many ways, we're a collection of several countries - a union, one might say - then yes, I agree, and am pleasantly surprised to hear someone from elsewhere recognize that.

I need to job hunt, and I don't want to.
Bloody hell, same here. :(
Yup, me too. I really loathe job hunting. I think I've stayed too long at every job I've ever had.

Yeah so my rant is related to what I just said above to @Commodore -

My chest pains have not gone away so I tried to schedule a doctor's appointment. The local hospital network uses call centers to connect people with the offices. The call center can't actually make the appointment, they just give you the secret number to call to make the appointment. Except the number they gave me was wrong, so I spent almost an hour on the phone and on google tracking down the correct number.

Then I get through and my options are to a) wait until next Monday or b) go to the ER. There is a walk in clinic but they refer any kind of chest pain to the ER. I'm not a medical expert but I don't have any of the other symptoms of heart trouble so I'm pretty confident that I don't need a trip to the ER. If I exhibited a single other symptom (shooting pain down my left arm, feeling like I'm being sat on, shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, excessive tiredness, etc) I would go to the ER.

But I don't have any of that and the last time I went to the ER it cost me $500 for an exam and two shots after insurance.

So I'm sort of stuck in limbo wondering what's going on until next Monday.

Guns are dangerous and people with guns are more dangerous (and, iirc, in more danger too, at least according to some studies - I'm not sure that part's settled yet, though).

Those studies are right as far as unnuanced raw data crunching is concerned. The problem is taking a simple fact and extrapolating an unsupported conclusion and then using that to construct an argument.

I've heard this called the "you'll shoot your eye out" fallacy even when the subject has nothing to do with guns.

Those studies are right as far as unnuanced raw data crunching is concerned. The problem is taking a simple fact and extrapolating an unsupported conclusion and then using that to construct an argument.

I've heard this called the "you'll shoot your eye out" fallacy even when the subject has nothing to do with guns.
I'm not entirely sure I follow what you're saying, but yes, we have a real deficiency in data when it comes to guns. One of the NRA's most damaging efforts has been in suppressing scientific study and data collection. Of course the mere fact that they've worked so hard to prevent the study of guns, gun violence, and gun ownership is suspicious, but we can't really stake (reasonable) claims on suspicion. The crime data collected by the Justice Department also has holes you can drive a container ship through (for instance, I read somewhere that the 3 largest cities in Florida reported zero hate crimes in 2016 - yeah, okay...).

Had a good snowstorm last night, got to work this morning and there was no internet. It was down the whole day, and of course the phone and pretty much everything else runs off the internet connection....
Stupid 70-year old telephone lines...

Words fail me.
All smothers are like that.
If you mean that, in many ways, we're a collection of several countries - a union, one might say - then yes, I agree, and am pleasantly surprised to hear someone from elsewhere recognize that.
Well, yes, I've actually read your constitution and articles of confederation and know how your levels and branches of government work.
Yup, me too. I really loathe job hunting. I think I've stayed too long at every job I've ever had.
The magic job tree is a *****.

Do what you can to get her treatment. Are you close enough to be able to pick her up and take her?

I was at work, so no. I talked to her today and she says she's feeling a lot better. She has been having a pretty stressful time at work, so I told her she should probably take some time off before she really does have a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom