Random Rants LXX: CFCOT's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valka,

A document file, unless it contains a lot of graphics will be rather small compared to some files. I think a 313 page document wouldn't even be a megabyte using Word or some other similar word processing program. Especially with large fonts. I routinely look at large document files which are less than a megabyte.

So a 4 GB USB flash drive will most likely be more than adequate to store your document, and a whole lot more. I was at Staples lately, and they had 16 GB flash drive, which are much bigger, for less than $15 CDN. If you get them on sale they can be as cheap as $10.

Most seem to be 2.0

not a computer expert once again , but if you have seen those small , thumb size flash memory sticks and whatever they call them they still work in USB 2 .

the one much in use Turkey for example

my XP was of 40 GB , omitting Windows itself , its entire contents would fit into 2 of these . Must be about the equivalent of 8 dollars hence expensive for capacity , but ı think those 1 Terabyte and similarly sized external drives are 3.0 only .

edit : Sorry , already mentioned by other posters but anyhow .

I lost my iron pills.

Who decided that hotels no longer need to supply an (alarm) clock? I have just been staying in a right posh hotel (on works dollar) and it had no form of timepiece in the room. I know most people have mobile phones to do this now, but there are lots of reasons to not use one, especially when there is no power socket that stays on when all the lights are out (as was the case in this hotel).
I bought that refurbished XP for one specific reason: To play Civ II and some of my other older games such as the Hoyle ones. Anything else that's worked on it has been gravy.
Have you considered using virtual box ? That would allow you to run XP inside your main computer, whatever that computers OS. If you are worried about electricity use, you may be surprised at the impact of having a second old desktop computer on that. VirtualBox does not have that good performance, especially if graphics cards are required, but I would guess it would easily handle Civ2 on a modern machine.

The drop in posters here sucks. I feel like I'm seeing the same 10 posters over and over again and it's depressing.

Well, why would people be interested in these forums? The posting climate isn't exactly inviting.

A punt? :confused:

I've been checking out Staples, where I buy office stuff that's not a computer, and they've got quite an assortment. Remember that I'm in Canada, so your prices (I assume those are USD?) would be much higher when converted to CAD.

Most seem to be 2.0.

I don't know what you would consider a tiny document. My current NaNoWriMo story (that I've actually been working on for over a year... in 30-day increments while the contests are active) is 313 pages (would be less, but I use larger font).

"worth a punt" = worth a try, attempt etc.

Someone else said $15 so I was referring to that, I assume they meant US. I can find them on amazon for around £5 so that's why I thought $15 US sounded high. But that's because I was looking at only 4 or 8 GB sticks as I'd assume you don't need much more than that.

Do you mean USB 2.0 or 2.0 gigabytes? I don't think you need to worry about the USB version.

I meant tiny in terms of filesize, compared to photos are particularly videos. Text (even in massively bloated Word files) is quite data-lean. Even the bible would be smaller than a large photo or a short video clip. It doesn't really matter, I just meant that it will therefore transfer fast and you won't need a large capacity stick (therefore cheaper).

No matter where it's hanging from?

Does it come from Australia?

Do I have to steel myself for more stupid puns ?

Bad boy! Don't grab the low-hanging fruit!

If God didn't want us to grab them, he would have hung them higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom