Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're going to rename Canada, I vote for "the Moose Republic".

That reminds me, I think the plural of Moose should be Meese.

Moose Empire, better, following HoI4 naming conventions.

"Canadia. I love it."

I don't hate anyone. Takes too much effort.

This is really easy to say if you don't go out much :lol: #shotsfired

You do have to admit that if you knew a rapist personally, it would be pretty hard to not hate him, especially if he's some kind of privileged a-hole, no? These people exist, you just don't know them personally

This is really easy to say if you don't go out much :lol: #shotsfired

You do have to admit that if you knew a rapist personally, it would be pretty hard to not hate him, especially if he's some kind of privileged a-hole, no? These people exist, you just don't know them personally

I don't have to admit that because it isn't true.

Everyone hates pigeons. :mad:

no I don't. they're delicious :)

I don't have to admit that because it isn't true.

if someone hurt your loved ones, let's say out of mere boredom, like the movie "Funny Games", how could you possibly not hate them? not getting emotionally invested in every day stuff is good, being entirely apathetic towards everyone is not :s

I don't see any real gain in hating people. How am I a better person if I spend my time being angry about others? The actionable part of the equation, e.g. seeking legal action and offering support, seems more valuable than working myself into a recurring frenzy over an aggressor.

I don't go out of my way to hate people but it sure freakin' happens if I think about it.

Like last week when some right bastard with a Texas plate blocked me from changing lanes to my turn lane. He had about 100 feet of empty road in front of him and my light was green, but no, he has to block me before my lane opens up. He had all the empty space in front of him. All of it. I absolutely hate him.

But I haven't thought about that except on the day it happened and today. I don't know how you would walk around with hatred every day; I couldn't manage it.

That's a pretty low bar for hatred. Is that what you guys mean by hating someone? Being annoyed by what they've done and when you're presented with it in your face? If that's the definition we're rolling with, I hate a lot of people.

I don't see any real gain in hating people. How am I a better person if I spend my time being angry about others? The actionable part of the equation, e.g. seeking legal action and offering support, seems more valuable than working myself into a recurring frenzy over an aggressor.

neither do I, but it is an emotional reaction. is there "gain" in mourning for your dead grandmother? is there "gain" in being frustrated because someone treated you very unfairly? I don't hate people because I see it as the rational thing to do, because I get something out of it.. I hate people because they do unspeakable things and I despise them with every atom of my being.

a person entirely without hatred for anyone is almost as disturbing as a persion without compassion for anyone.

That's a pretty low bar for hatred. Is that what you guys mean by hating someone? Being annoyed by what they've done and when you're presented with it in your face? If that's the definition we're rolling with, I hate a lot of people.

that is definitely not what I meant and I see hate as a very strong word. I never use it loosely. someone I hate is someone I utterly despise, someone to whom I only wish the worst in this world.

I consider wishing harm upon others to be the more disturbing quality in this conversation.

a person entirely without hatred for anyone is almost as disturbing as a persion without compassion for anyone.

that is definitely not what I meant and I see hate as a very strong word. I never use it loosely. someone I hate is someone I utterly despise, someone to whom I only wish the worst in this world.

Going by your definition I have never met or known anyone in real life that I have such feelings for, which I would consider to be important. How can you truly hate if you don't know the person?

Nah. The reading part isn't the problem. Many religious folk read the Bible quite avidly, and many Christian millennialists are adept at quoting chapter and verse. They understand the words on the page. What they don't understand is the context. They don't understand things like "what Daniel 2 and 7 are actually referring to". Perhaps "Biblical" illiteracy is a poor way to refer to it; "historical" illiteracy might be better.
There's a thing the local ministry of education has, called ‘analfabetismo funcional’: functional illiteracy, i.e. having the capacity to actually identify individual letters and words but lacking the capacity to analyse it in context, often out of sheer ignorance, i.e. how many people are there who know the CIA supported General Perón because good ole Ike and his VP who shall not be named liked his anticommunism?, or simply because their brains cannot understand past the superficial meaning of a 140-character tweet. Which actually explains how so many politicians attain office. And those politicians attaining office explains why public education is not improved.
Wait, really? I thought Taki's post was just a typo.
Nope. Not a typo.
I can confrim that I never make typos.
That's a pretty low bar for hatred.
I agree. It sounds as if cardgame was (greatly) annoyed by this man with the Texas plate, but that's it.
I hate everyone.
Still?

no I don't. they're delicious :)
In that case, you are welcome to come over here, catch, kill, and eat the pigeons making noise outside my windows and depositing organic pigeon waste material on the balcony.

You'll have to use your own kitchen, though. I literally don't own any pots, pans, or kitchen table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom